Options

Anything special to get a CF card reader to work?

TaDaTaDa Registered Users Posts: 169 Major grins
edited February 28, 2008 in Accessories
From the point and shoot days, I've had multiple SD card readers and "boom" they're recognized. I just got a Lexar Jumpshot CF card reader and the light on it turns green, but my laptop has no idea that it's there. Are there any special tricks to get laptops to recognize CF card readers?
My Kit
Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
Canon Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 500mm f/4 IS, Zeiss 21mm ZE
Speedlite 580ex II, Canon 430ex

Comments

• Options
    DonRicklinDonRicklin Registered Users Posts: 5,551 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    TaDa wrote:
    From the point and shoot days, I've had multiple SD card readers and "boom" they're recognized. I just got a Lexar Jumpshot CF card reader and the light on it turns green, but my laptop has no idea that it's there. Are there any special tricks to get laptops to recognize CF card readers?
    Check te Lexar site. There may be something to install for a PC to see it.

Normaly should just work. Did it come with an installation disc?

Don
    Don Ricklin - Gear: Canon EOS 5D Mark III, was Pentax K7
    'I was older then, I'm younger than that now' ....
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Mine doesn't show up in the 'My Computer' screen till I put a card in it, then I've got heaps of drives.rolleyes1.gif
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    20DNoob wrote:
    Mine doesn't show up in the 'My Computer' screen till I put a card in it, then I've got heaps of drives.rolleyes1.gif
    Oh yeah. There is that. Needs a card in it to be seen!

Even a Mac wont see a Reader without a card in it!

Don
    My Blog | Q+ | Moderator, Lightroom Forums | My Amateur Smugmug Stuff | My Blurb book Rust and Whimsy. More Rust , FaceBook
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    I've tried the two different cards that I have. Regular Sandisk 4GB and a Sandisk extreme 2GB cards. Still nothing. Lexar's site sucks for drivers btw :)

Oh, and I got this reader as a freebie, so no install disk. I guess I got what I paid for ;)
    My Kit
    Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
    Canon Canon 24-70 f/2.8L, Canon 35 f/1.4L, Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS II, Canon 85 f/1.2L II, Canon 500mm f/4 IS, Zeiss 21mm ZE
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,806 moderator
    edited February 27, 2008
    TaDa wrote:
    I've tried the two different cards that I have. Regular Sandisk 4GB and a Sandisk extreme 2GB cards. Still nothing. Lexar's site sucks for drivers btw :)

Which card reader is it? (Look on the back of the card reader and give us the information here.)

Which OS is on your computer?

Did the card reader come with a cable or is it the type that plugs directly into your computer? Did you add a cable to extend the distance from the computer?

Have you tried other USB appliances on that particular USB port?
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    I moved this to Accessories since it does not have to do with Cameras directly.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I moved this to Accessories since it does not have to do with Cameras directly.

Duh. My fault for putting it in the wrong place in the first place. Thanks for moving it
    My Kit
    Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Which card reader is it? (Look on the back of the card reader and give us the information here.)

Which OS is on your computer?

Did the card reader come with a cable or is it the type that plugs directly into your computer? Did you add a cable to extend the distance from the computer?

Have you tried other USB appliances on that particular USB port?

On the front of the reader it says jumpSHOT Lexar Media and on the back it says jumpSHOT Works only with USB Enabled CompactFlash (which from what I've read, all CF cards made in the last couple years are USB enabled). Under that, Do not remove card if LED is blinking and the Lexar Media Part No. USB005. This reader has a USB cable coming right out of it that is about a foot and a half long.
    My Kit
    Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    ... Which OS is on your computer?

What operating system are you using?
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    What operating system are you using?

Sorry, XP. Vista = evil
    My Kit
    Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    XP might be part of the problem. It looks like that "reader" works well with Win 98.

It looks like lots of people are having problems with that device using other than Lexar cards. The "jumpSHOT" is really not a reader, but just an adapter cable. I believe it has been discontinued and that all current Lexar readers are true card readers.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24602
    http://www.photographyreview.com/mfr/lexar/card-readers-and-adapters/PRD_82780_3086crx.aspx
    http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Cle7

I strongly recommend you just buy another card reader. I have several generic readers that are inexpensive and work fine with all cards.
    ziggy53
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    XP might be part of the problem. It looks like that "reader" works well with Win 98.

It looks like lots of people are having problems with that device using other than Lexar cards. The "jumpSHOT" is really not a reader, but just an adapter cable. I believe it has been discontinued and that all current Lexar readers are true card readers.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=24602
    http://www.photographyreview.com/mfr/lexar/card-readers-and-adapters/PRD_82780_3086crx.aspx
    http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00Cle7

I strongly recommend you just buy another card reader. I have several generic readers that are inexpensive and work fine with all cards.

You're awesome. Thank you very much Ziggy
    My Kit
    Canon 5DII, Canon 7D
  • Options
    HiSPLHiSPL Registered Users Posts: 251 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    Generic readers nowadays work very well in general, but I HIGHLY recommend the SanDisk Extreme 3 reader available everywhere. It's about 25 bucks so it's not that much more than the generics, however I have seen a huge speed increase since getting mine. My 4 gig cards (not sandisk brand BTW) used to take an hour or so each to ingest with a PNY reader. Now a full 4 gigs takes about 10 minutes. I am extremely happy with it.clap.gif

Also, if you are using SanDisk Extreme cards it's even faster, but I don't have any so I wouldn't know....
  • Options
    mr peasmr peas Registered Users Posts: 1,369 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    HiSPL wrote:
    Generic readers nowadays work very well in general, but I HIGHLY recommend the SanDisk Extreme 3 reader available everywhere. It's about 25 bucks so it's not that much more than the generics, however I have seen a huge speed increase since getting mine. My 4 gig cards (not sandisk brand BTW) used to take an hour or so each to ingest with a PNY reader. Now a full 4 gigs takes about 10 minutes. I am extremely happy with it.clap.gif

Also, if you are using SanDisk Extreme cards it's even faster, but I don't have any so I wouldn't know....

It is probably because the newer reader you have now is USB 2.0 powered whereas your older one was probably USB 1.1.

Remember to buy a USB 2.0 reader for the super-quickness downloading! ;D

Also, check to see if you have several USB hard drives connected to your computer. Sometimes only one USB drive can be seen at a time depending on your motherboard. I have this problem when I hook up my USB external HD, none of my other card readers nor USB HDs when connected work so I use 1 USB drive and 1 Firewire external drives.
  • Options
    20DNoob20DNoob Registered Users Posts: 318 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2008
    I used to have one of the Sandisk($25-$30) readers and about a week or so after I bought it it bit the farm. I went and grabbed a crappy $10 Belkin jobber and it hasn't quit on me yet(2 1/2 years+/-).
    Christian.

5D2/1D MkII N/40D and a couple bits of glass.
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    Had another guy have problems with a Mac/Lexar Card reader.
    If it was me, I'd ditch the card reader and pick up a different brand.
    I've a Sandisk multicard reader from Walmart and it was pretty cheap.

It's USB 2.0 so it've pretty darn fast as well.

The other option is to ditch the reader all together and just plug the camera into the computer and download via Eos Utilities.
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    Had another guy have problems with a Mac/Lexar Card reader.
    If it was me, I'd ditch the card reader and pick up a different brand.
    I've a Sandisk multicard reader from Walmart and it was pretty cheap.

It's USB 2.0 so it've pretty darn fast as well.

The other option is to ditch the reader all together and just plug the camera into the computer and download via Eos Utilities.
    Users have had some problems with Direct Camera connect, too, depending on System and Software. It also means Camera battery use and often slower download.

Don
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2008
    TaDa wrote:
    On the front of the reader it says jumpSHOT Lexar Media and on the back it says jumpSHOT Works only with USB Enabled CompactFlash (which from what I've read, all CF cards made in the last couple years are USB enabled). Under that, Do not remove card if LED is blinking and the Lexar Media Part No. USB005. This reader has a USB cable coming right out of it that is about a foot and a half long.

I have JumpShot and also Jumpshot CF card....the reader will not read anything but Jumshot CF cards from what I was able to find out and there is no support for them as Lexar has moved waaaaay beyond the obsolete Jumpshots......Mine is collecting dust on a bookshelf...........

I am currently using a STRATITEC card reader from Sam's Club....it was like $9.99 about 3 yrs ago....it reads like 20 different types of memory cards and it shows up in My Computer with any cards inserted......
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website