Options

Smugmug JPEG compression

cfrey6cfrey6 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
edited January 6, 2009 in SmugMug Support
I notice lately that when I replace a photo, after a PROOF order and do all the normal post-processing, that the image on the smugmug gallery looks very compressed with plenty of jpeg artifacts.

Take a look at 2 different shots, but in a shot burst.

Did Smugmug start compressing jpegs even more?

Post-processed image below

http://www.freyphotos.com/gallery/4330829_cLSMX#255364507

versus

http://www.freyphotos.com/gallery/4330829_cLSMX#255364525

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 19, 2008
    I'm checking into this, stay tuned.
  • Options
    edited February 19, 2008
    It is a bug and I've logged it. It's only with the replace tool, and the originals are not affected (they are not compressed or altered - so the prints will be perfect).

We'll get it fixed.
  • Options
    marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    It is a bug and I've logged it. It's only with the replace tool, and the originals are not affected (they are not compressed or altered - so the prints will be perfect).

A workaround for the time being (if you only have a few replaced images) I found is to rotate the image, and rotate it back. The rotate tool will create nicely compressed images for you.
    enjoy being here while getting there
  • Options
    cfrey6cfrey6 Registered Users Posts: 114 Major grins
    edited February 20, 2008
    Thanks
    marlof wrote:
    A workaround for the time being (if you only have a few replaced images) I found is to rotate the image, and rotate it back. The rotate tool will create nicely compressed images for you.

Thanks! I thought it was the display sharpening options at first, so I set those all to zero for that gallery and it didn't change anything. That is when I suspected something was wrong.
  • Options
    HoyBoyHoyBoy Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited August 30, 2008
    Andy wrote:

We'll get it fixed.

Andy, I just experienced a really horrible quality upload when I used the "replace" option. I ended up deleting it and exporting directly from LR to SmugMug again. Problem solved.

I noticed that 6 months ago you mentioned that this issue was being addressed. Can you give us an update?

This is kind of a pain.

Thanks.
  • Options
    manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Andy, I'm having a similar problem with JPEG artifacts and blurring showing up in my photos after I use Smugmug's crop tool to crop them.

Compare this photo, cropped offline with Microsoft Office Picture Manager:
    449887163_tHVoe-L.jpg

... to this one, cropped using Smugmug's crop tool. Note the upper tree branches and the sky around them:
    446897515_izecg-L-1.jpg

Yikes, that's ugly. Note that the Smugmug version looked fine on Smugmug, until I cropped it.

Is a fix in the works?

Thanks.
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    manbou wrote:
    Is a fix in the works?

Thanks.
    We'll see if it can be replicated thanks. Stay tuned
  • Options
    manboumanbou Registered Users Posts: 105 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Problem solved!
    Andy, it looks like Smugmug has since replaced the bottom image in my previous post with a new version at a new URL, and it looks nice and clear:

446897515_izecg-L-4.jpg

Assuming you made this happen, thanks for the quick response! clap.gif
    "[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Photography is often finding something cool and taking a picture of it."[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] -- Ken Rockwell[/FONT]
  • Options
    dennismullendennismullen Registered Users Posts: 709 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2009
    Is it fixed yet?
    The problem wtth the replace tool was noted in Feb. 08. Almost a year has gone by. How long does it take? Time to put a warning notice on the tool if you're not going to fix it.

Also the arrange tool problem has been going on forever too. Whats up?
    See my gallery at http://www.dennismullen.com
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    Also the arrange tool problem has been going on forever too. Whats up?
    Can you please post about this in a separate thread? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited January 6, 2009
    The problem wtth the replace tool was noted in Feb. 08. Almost a year has gone by. How long does it take? Time to put a warning notice on the tool if you're not going to fix it.
    I'm having trouble replicating this - have you got a recent example?