Options

Oceans and Wetlands

Phil U.Phil U. Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited March 22, 2005 in Wildlife
My wife Leigh and I spent the weekend in Virginia Beach. While there, we visited the Virginia Marine Science Museum (what can I say, we like aquariums). Their website is: http://www.vmsm.com/index.shtml They cover everything from the ocean to saltwater marshes.

Here's a few from there. You can see the rest at: http://philu.smugmug.com/gallery/445933

17947990-L.jpg

17947994-L.jpg

17947999-L.jpg

17948001-L.jpg

While I complain about the parents unwilling to control their screaming brats, I am often entertained by the kids' reactions to standing in front of the big tanks...

17947969-L.jpg

I even found a bird for Harry... :wink

17947971-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    I love the DoF in the first shot thumb.gif And the slight motion blur of the shark in the picture with the little boy. Looks like you had a good time and got yourself some great pics.

Nice set, thanks for sharing clap.gif
  • Options
    edited March 21, 2005
    BridgeCity wrote:
    I love the DoF in the first shot thumb.gif And the slight motion blur of the shark in the picture with the little boy. Looks like you had a good time and got yourself some great pics.

Nice set, thanks for sharing clap.gif
    Thanks - we did have a good time. The weather wasn't the greatest but it's always nice to get away...
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    Hey Phil,

Outstanding shots clap.gif and you even made a contribution to Egret Festthumb.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 21, 2005
    this shot is great:
    17947999-L.jpg

shooting through glass never gives me results this nice. Awesome thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    Steve CaviglianoSteve Cavigliano Super Moderators Posts: 3,599 moderator
    edited March 21, 2005
    Good work Phil thumb.gifthumb.gif

These are great clap.gif So colorful and so sharp. Are you sure you weren't in the tank with 'em? lol3.gif I have the same issues shooting through glass as Doc. They just never come out clear ne_nau.gif Looks like you had zero problems with that. I'd have to pick the golden fish as my fav, but the rest are close behind,

Thanks for sharing these,
    Steve
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    david_hdavid_h Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited March 21, 2005
    Great pictures, especially for shooting through glass. Makes me wish we still lived in South Jersey near the aquarium so I could try my hand at it.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Phil,

Outstanding shots clap.gif and you even made a contribution to Egret Festthumb.gif

Thanks Harry - When I saw it, I said to myself, "Oh yea, I gotta get this for the bird-nut."
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    shooting through glass never gives me results this nice. Awesome thumb.gif

Hmm... when you have tried, how did you do it? This is the third time I've shot in an aquarium and have only had glass issues from couple of tanks (the ones where they have a second piece of glass sepearate from the piece I'm able to touch).

I got lucky at the first aquarium and found a technique that works for me. I grab the lens barrel and put it right up on the tank. This blocks out light and reflections from our side of the tank and makes small dust and smudges invisible since they're way out of the DOF. Yes, it minimizes your options for composition, but at least your image quality will be much better. It also steadies the camera for the slow shutter speeds. It's worked for me thus far...

Thanks for the compliment!
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    So colorful and so sharp. Are you sure you weren't in the tank with 'em? lol3.gif I have the same issues shooting through glass as Doc.

Thanks Steve!

See my response to Doc. How have you shot when you've tried? If you get a chance, try it with the lens barrel presed up against the glass and see how that works for you.

The 2 largest issues i've had have been the slow shutter speeds and color balance. I've only really gotten good results with the fish that will sit still for a couple seconds (enough time for me to line up the shot and hit the shutter). The color balance is tricky since you obviusly can't do a manual WB with a white/grey card. They use different lights in different tanks. Most of the time the "florescent" preset gets it close enough to adjust in post. Sometimes have to pick a different preset - I've used 'em all.
  • Options
    edited March 22, 2005
    david_h wrote:
    Great pictures, especially for shooting through glass. Makes me wish we still lived in South Jersey near the aquarium so I could try my hand at it.

Thanks! When you do try, share the results with us!