Options

They say “pretty pictures” but don’t purchase

DaphotosDaphotos Registered Users Posts: 23 Big grins
edited February 13, 2008 in Mind Your Own Business
Through every incarnation of my website, I’ve always gotten that feedback froms friends, relatives, etc. I wanted to know the main ways that people make money in using Smugmug. I know that there are a lot of portrait photographers and wedding photographers on this site. However, I want to know about the people that take photos not for an assignment or a particular customer. Are people buying your photos? How are they coming to your site? Do you get the “they’re beautiful / gorgeous / insert superlative here” feedback but no purchase? :dunno

In short, is anyone really making money on Smugmug with work NOT done on commission?

Website in question: Digital Aquarium Photography

Comments

• Options
    mbellotmbellot Registered Users Posts: 465 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Daphotos wrote:
    In short, is anyone really making money on Smugmug with work NOT done on commission?

I guess that partially depends on how you define "making money".

I've got over 2000 pictures on SmugMug from several dance recitals I've shot (I have three girls, 'nuff said).

To date I've gotten many compliments on them and even sold some, but not enough to even cover the annual cost of a Pro account. rolleyes1.gif

I'm not in it for the money (seriously, I would do this just to have pictures of my girls), but it is really amazing to see how few people actually bother to do more than just compliment them.

Human nature I guess...
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 8, 2008
    I'm going to move your question over to the MYOB forum for some feedback and you might want to search the threads there for info on keywording and directing traffic to your site. I know Andy has some sure-fire ways to help in that area.

Good luck thumb.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited February 8, 2008
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    Thank you Angelo and mbellot

So, in short, it's just about keywording and getting your site in search engines - not about any particular type of photography subject, coupon or gimmick?

Still, I'd like feedback from others who have encountered this situation. I am doing this for the money and would love to know how others are doing as well. I've searched the threads before, but have not found what I believe I'm looking for.

If you were in a consumer's shoes, what would make you buy a photograph from a stranger on their website? That's what it comes down to and that's what I would love feedback on. Is it price? Subject matter? How well you know the person?

Thoughts and discussion are welcomed, please.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Daphotos wrote:
    Through every incarnation of my website, I’ve always gotten that feedback froms friends, relatives, etc. I wanted to know the main ways that people make money in using Smugmug. I know that there are a lot of portrait photographers and wedding photographers on this site. However, I want to know about the people that take photos not for an assignment or a particular customer. Are people buying your photos? How are they coming to your site? Do you get the “they’re beautiful / gorgeous / insert superlative here” feedback but no purchase? ne_nau.gif

O boy where to start?

First, be careful of your friends compliments. They can and will overrate, over praise you, and your work. They mean well but can be of limited benefit when seeking feed back. But you can learn whet types of photos attract the best, and most positive responses. IE: I have found invariably most people will go right to the colored prints, as apposed to B&W.

Also be careful of other photographers, but do consider any specific comments. Listen to their critique, and try and see your image through their eyes. Be objective!!! If you agree with their assessment good, if you really consciously disagree, that's OK to as long as it's an objective calm non defensive decision.

Now as to selling: Why would anyone buy your print? For what purpose? Who is your market? How does your images compare to others in your designated market?

Next, not many images are sold to random purchasers on the Internet. People will buy from those they know, have met, and or like. They are substantially more likely to buy in person as opposed to buying over the Internet.

What I see on my computer screen is most likely not what you see on yours. If printed on fine art, or other specialty paper you can't see the difference on the computer.

In summary you can not rely on simply posting images on the Internet, and expect sales.

Sam
  • Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,238 moderator
    edited February 8, 2008
    Daphotos wrote:
    I believe that Sam is right that you need to actively sell your work and not expect it to sell as a result of presenting it online.

But - I also think you are doing yourself a disservice with your presentation in the website you linked. Don't misunderstand me - the website is very nice. But to actually purchase your photos I still need to make the right choice after I click on galleries. Yes, galleries is obvious. But then for each gallery, you offer the choice of "view portfolio" and "visit sales gallery". OK, the first thing that draws my attention is "view portfolio". Nice. I find a photo that interests me - but there is no "buy photo" capability there. I need to remember the photo, and think enough to click on galleries in the navbar and then click on "visit sales gallery" for the group of photos for which I previously did a "view portfolio" (if I happen to remember which grouping I was in). Then I need to find the photo again.

Sorry, that's really not answering the question that you asked, but if you do push through your "why aren't people buying" question that the organization of your site will also come into play. It needs to be easy for people to purchase once they see an image that they would like to own.

--- Denise
  • Options
    edited February 8, 2008
    Sam -

"People will buy from those they know, have met, and or like. They are substantially more likely to buy in person as opposed to buying over the Internet."

THANK YOU! You have answered my inquest and I feel stasified with your answer. Your post reminded me of what I had forgotten, I need to focus on developing a physical store front through community stores, co-ops, farmers markets, galleries, etc. I just needed to be reminded of that. Thanks!
    denisegoldberg -

Thank you for your comments. I understand the issue in which you speak of. The reason for the difference in the gallery vs. the store is that the gallery was designed to offer a very limited array of photos, while the SmugMug area is to be an expanded catalog, offering more selection.

Optimally, I'd love to find a Adobe Lightroom script that would allow me to use Lightroom's Flash Web Gallery export function streamlined with Paypal Shopping Cart. As I have not found it yet, the gallery vs. the store issue remains, as they both have their uses depending on what perspective you see it from.

The main annoying issue, for me, is that I have with Smugmug is that it does not import the image titles during the upload, only captions and keywords. Nor can I specifiy the location, date or other metadata catagories. But, that's for another thread in another catagory.

Thank you to you both and to all that viewed this thread.
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 8, 2008
    Daphotos wrote:

Yes, I am. :D

I use my SM site to make money on two fronts-- selling prints and downloads is the obvious one. I shoot uncommissioned events and watermark images and have found fairly steady sales from that.

I also use my SM site to book shoots and use google checkout for payments/deposits. That has been the single best tool/option I've added to my site.

The trick on shooting events and selling photos is to find your audience. For example, I shoot a LOT of local fashion shows and I originally thought models and designers would want to buy the photos. A bit of on-the-ground testing, though, showed it's actually the mom's of models who buy 95-percent of the photos from those shows. So I make a point of giving out my business cards to moms at the shows-- it's pretty obvious who they are. The other people who sometimes are worth 'targeting' (in my example) are the hair and makeup artists. The models? They NEVER buy photos. Same with the designers.

Guess what I'm saying is find out who actually buys photos, forget the others, and target the buyers! It really is possible.

And... last fashion show I shot (last week) -- for the first time I had an editor buy the files from the entire shoot for a flat fee. I've known her for three years and it really did take that long for her to make a purchase like that.

The other thing is, with a bit of real world testing, you'll figure out which events you can earn money from and which events are going to be duds. You have to offer better pics than anyone else is shooting. For example, most p&s cams have a 24 mm equivalant lens at their widest angle. Okay, so figure EVERYONE at your events will have a camera like this. But do you have a full-frame body with a 16 mm or wider lens? Okay, now we're talkin'! You'll be able to shoot photos most people can't. Then learn how to balance the ambient light with your strobe-- bam! You'll again be shooting pics the p&s crowd won't get. Get creative, think WAY beyond snapshots, and be prepared to work HARD for a good while before sales become steady.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    Pete,

I was primarily addressing fine art prints. The OP doesn't have 1 event type photo.

Events are a little different, and I would think that ether selling onsite, (lots of work, equipment, and $), or online sales would be the best option.

Sam
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited February 9, 2008
    I suspect most of the sales seen are event-type photography of one sort or another. In other words, the SM site is simply the distribution method for a photographer's work that the clients would be buying anyway. There seems to be very little sales seen from random visitors to sites.

So far my own sales have followed this model. Pretty much everything sold on my site has been from events where I've given people my URL & told them that's where to buy the prints. I've also gotten a little bit of business from the site-as-electronic-portfolio & all contacts, money exchange, and delivery has been independent of my SM account.
  • Options
    pirminpirmin Registered Users Posts: 12 Big grins
    edited February 13, 2008
    For me too: Venice Carnival and lagoon Galleries no money
    Hi,
    i'm in the same situation: abot 2 weeks on smugmug pro, 200 pics, no money.

I'm an italian, Venice based, photographer.
    i've tried qwith smugmug because i belived that it's american market oriented and i know that USA citizens love Venice and italian stuffs.

But no money.

I've submitted some pics to stockphotographic sites like
    dreamstime and so on and the results are wonderful

let me konow what you think about this
    www.angelovianello.com

bye from Venice: the real one