Options

My D300 died today

DsrtVWDsrtVW Registered Users Posts: 1,991 Major grins
edited February 6, 2008 in Cameras
:scratch :scratch Had shot about 150 shots today was in manual mode and it just stop working. Had display on top but locked up, no shutter actuation. Thought my card was full, nope, check battery 1/2 charge. Took out battery put in fresh one top display came up then went out and could not revive it. Nothing, nada, zilch!!!!!!!!!!!! Dead no signs of life.
Advantage of buying from a local Nikon dealer is that I could take it there and have them check it out. It was no use they could not find a thing wrong, still would not turn on. Going back for repair glad I have that relationship could not imagine having to try and do this long distance.
It's last capture.
I was working on some black and white shots
this was capture 9090 had it since December 15.
251429858-L.jpg
Chris K. NANPA Member
http://kadvantage.smugmug.com/

Comments

• Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited February 5, 2008
    Beautiful photo..

Sorry to hear that your camera has something wrong with it....hope its fixed soon.
  • Options
    edited February 5, 2008
    They say usually 2 to 3 weeks turn around time. It is going to be a long time. Good thing I have my trusty little D50 to keep me from going into withdrawals.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • Options
    SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    No reset button or soft/hard reboot sequence?? Nothing after leavign the battery out for more then 30 seconds?? Did any part of the camera/battery feel warm or hot??
  • Options
    kombizzkombizz Banned Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    Sorry to hear that your camera.
    Perhapd you need to buy Soney A350. Laughing.gif
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2008
    We tried all that, nothing. Battery was fine meter said it was about half charge. Tried 2 different batteries. That was one of the first things I checked. I could not remember the reset sequence ( note to self put manual in camera bag) but the dealer tried all that. Dealer said he had not seen this happen before, they are the Nikon rep for the area. Really good shop very helpful.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • Options
    MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    DsrtVW wrote:
    We tried all that, nothing. Battery was fine meter said it was about half charge. Tried 2 different batteries. That was one of the first things I checked. I could not remember the reset sequence ( note to self put manual in camera bag) but the dealer tried all that. Dealer said he had not seen this happen before, they are the Nikon rep for the area. Really good shop very helpful.
    Did you have a VR lens on the body?
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2008
    No it was not a VR lens I had been using my Sigma 17-70 at the time of death
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    MJRPHOTO wrote:
    Did you have a VR lens on the body?
    Why would VR matter? Just curious.

-Jon
  • Options
    MJRPHOTOMJRPHOTO Registered Users Posts: 432 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    Why would VR matter? Just curious.

-Jon
    I had a little different problem with my D300 the first week. The low battery light would come on and it would just shut off. It was the first time that week that I had a VR lens on the body. This did not happen with a non VR lens all week. So I stopped by the Nikon Repair shop here on long island and talked to the tech. He said it could be the lens that was causing the problem. So I left him my 70-200 f2.8 VR and took the D300 home. They did a refurbish on the lens under the warranty. It has not happened again since. During the 10 days my lens was getting repaired I used my 300 f2.8 VR and a few non VR lens and it did not happen also.
    It is nice to be so close to the repair center.
    www.mjrphoto.net
    Nikon D4, Nikon D3, Nikon D3
    Nikon 14-24 f2.8, Nikon 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 70-200 f2.8 VR II, Nikon 50 f1.8, Nikon 85 f1.4
    Nikon 300 f2.8 VR, Nikon 200-400 f4.0 VR II, Nikon 600 f4.0 II, TC-1.4, TC 1.7, TC 2.0
    (1) SB-800, (2) SB-900, (4) Multi Max Pocket Wizards
  • Options
    MooreDrivenMooreDriven Registered Users Posts: 260 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    Sorry to hear about your problem. It's bound to happen. At least you were not on vacation, or at a workshop when it happened. Hopefully they turn it around quickly for you. Let us know what they provide a reason for the failure.
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2008
    This board will be the first to know on it's progress. That is interesting on the VR lens. My D50 will stop shooting when the battery get to low but it always comes back to life with a fresh charge.
    Yes it is the wonders of electronics. I work with devices all day sometimes they will just drive you nuts.
    Chris K. NANPA Member
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 6, 2008
    Technology. Fabulous when it works, major pain in the rear when it decides to take a vacation. headscratch.gif

Sorry to hear your D300 is having issues. When it comes back to you in working order, teach it a lesson it shalt never forget.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com