Options

banner not showing

dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
edited February 3, 2008 in SmugMug Support
The banners on my website seem to be coming and going over the last day. I first noticed it in windows using Seamonkey (which I know isn't supported by SM), so I tried FF and it was there.

But now I'm on a mac, and I don't see them in FF.

Anyone else experiencing this? It's showing right now, but a minute ago it wasn't (again, this was with FF on a mac). The banners are gifs hosted by SM. :scratch

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
website blog instagram facebook g+

Comments

• Options
    denisegoldbergdenisegoldberg Administrators Posts: 14,237 moderator
    edited January 31, 2008
    dogwood wrote:
    The banners on my website seem to be coming and going over the last day. I first noticed it in windows using Seamonkey (which I know isn't supported by SM), so I tried FF and it was there.

But now I'm on a mac, and I don't see them in FF.

Anyone else experiencing this? It's showing right now, but a minute ago it wasn't (again, this was with FF on a mac). The banners are gifs hosted by SM. headscratch.gif
    Pete -
    This is rather odd. I am running IE7 and Firefox on Vista. I went to your site in both browsers, and both were missing the banner. Then I looked at the CSS in Firefox webdev, picked up the url for your banner, and displayed it. Looked fine. Then in the same browser, I displayed your homepage. This time the banner showed. Same behavior in both browsers.

I closed Firefox, then reopened it, did a clear private data. Redisplayed your site, the banner is missing again.

I know, I know, that doesn't help. But I'm hoping that maybe seeing this pattern will jog something in someone's brain.

--- Denise
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,011 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Pete -
    This is rather odd. I am running IE7 and Firefox on Vista. I went to your site in both browsers, and both were missing the banner. Then I looked at the CSS in Firefox webdev, picked up the url for your banner, and displayed it. Looked fine. Then in the same browser, I displayed your homepage. This time the banner showed. Same behavior in both browsers.

I closed Firefox, then reopened it, did a clear private data. Redisplayed your site, the banner is missing again.

I know, I know, that doesn't help. But I'm hoping that maybe seeing this pattern will jog something in someone's brain.

--- Denise
    There is also a few flash slideshows reported not working. Hung on api, so
    bet there's a glitch in a data sever somewhere.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    CleeFeltyCleeFelty Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    Experiencing similar problem here
    Good evening all! (well, except for the missing banner)

I emailed the Support Heroes with the same problem this afternoon. My site is password-protected, so I don't always post my issues here. Rich at the Helpdesk replied as follows (Thank you Rich!)

"After reviewing the the information and trying the same thing on my site, it looks like some of the new image security we are doing will block access if the password is not entered. If I find out different, I will email you back.

Earlier today you could right-click on the homepage and 'view background image' then refresh the page and the banner would show up.
    Now it's locked down."

"...if I find out something different I will email you back."

I'll keep an eye on this thread and if I hear back from Rich before anything is posted here, I'll post the status update.

I also suggested the following, though I'm only speaking on my own behalf, "if it is discovered that this is an unresolvable issue in the forseeable future, I wanted to suggest perhaps a simple login page that has just my Smuggy url and password hint that blocks my customization in the header and footer. Right now it looks kinda sloppy with the random navbar and footer text."

• Options
    edited January 31, 2008
    One more thing...
    Should this be moved to the CUSTOMIZATION section? (or referenced there in some way)
  • Options
    edited January 31, 2008
    UPDATE (10:00 pm EST, 1/31/08)
    Here is the latest update I recieved from the Help Desk:

"I bumped this up to our engineers to look at. I'm hoping for an answer soon. I'm off the help desk now, but I will be checking in through the night to see what they come up with and I will post & email their answer."

• Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited January 31, 2008
    CleeFelty wrote:
    Here is the latest update I recieved from the Help Desk:

"I bumped this up to our engineers to look at. I'm hoping for an answer soon. I'm off the help desk now, but I will be checking in through the night to see what they come up with and I will post & email their answer."

15524779-Ti.gif Thx :) Will post it when I get it....thumb.gif
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    richW wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif Thx :) Will post it when I get it....thumb.gif
    Our CEO & Chief Geek, Don has given me the 'all clear' on this. So far it looks like your banner is working wave.gif

Pete, yours looks good too. If there are any problems post back or email the help desk. You know Pete how much I hate looking at all of your great pics...:D

Sorry for the troubles.......
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2008
    richW wrote:
    Our CEO & Chief Geek, Don has given me the 'all clear' on this. So far your banner is working.

Pete, yours looks good too. If there are any problems post back or email the help desk. You know Pete how much I hate looking at all of your great pics...:D

Sorry for the troubles.......
    Thanks Rich. It does seem to be working tonight. I appreciate your help. And your compliments on my pics of course-- just working on a new fashion show gallery that should be pretty cool by morning. :D

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    edited February 1, 2008
    Thank you Rich and the Support Heroes!
    As usual, you guys rule!
  • Options
    abeyerabeyer Registered Users Posts: 5 Beginner grinner
    edited February 3, 2008
    I'm having problems with mine as well....
    CleeFelty wrote:
    As usual, you guys rule!

I am not sure where to put this. I am so new at this WHOLE thing.
    I just created my site yesterday.
    I was wondering if someone could help me figure out how the heck my banner is missing when friends look it up?
    (IE7).

It is working fine when I view it (both logged in and out).
    If I should put this somewhere else, please accept my apologies.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    abeyer wrote:
    I am not sure where to put this. I am so new at this WHOLE thing.
    I just created my site yesterday.
    I was wondering if someone could help me figure out how the heck my banner is missing when friends look it up?
    (IE7).

It is working fine when I view it (both logged in and out).
    If I should put this somewhere else, please accept my apologies.
    Thanks.
    Welcome to Dgrin wave.gif

Sure can, but could use a link to your site.:D
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    Welcome to Dgrin wave.gif

Sure can, but could use a link to your site.:D

mwink.gif that would help

www.studiovision1.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    abeyer wrote:
    This link in your banner CSS is not working for me.

http://studiovision1.smugmug.com/photos/250171759-L.jpg

Make sure it not in a gallery with a password, can be private, and see if
    external links have to be on to work.
  • Options
    edited February 3, 2008
    Allen wrote:
    This link in your banner CSS is not working for me.

http://studiovision1.smugmug.com/photos/250171759-L.jpg

Make sure it not in a gallery with a password, can be private, and see if
    external links have to be on to work.

Looks like it works now. Thank you so much...youre a genius (and on S.Bowl Sunday). wings.gif