Options

AppleTV 2 works with Flickr... Smugmug too?

dddseedddsee Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
edited February 6, 2010 in SmugMug Support
Hi, I just saw the keynote from MacWorld and Steve Jobs showing how AppleTV2 works and that it's also integrated with Flickr. Can I use AppleTV2 with Smugmug too?

THANKS

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Thanks, we'll look into that thumb.gif
  • Options
    javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Thanks, we'll look into that thumb.gif
    That would be awesome!
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 17, 2008
    Steve's expression when Flickr failed to serve up photos during the demo was hilarious. We would love to be a part of it and hopefully we would actually serve up photos.

Personally, I'm not entirely sold on browsing photos on TV's.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Sheaf wrote:
    Steve's expression when Flickr failed to serve up photos during the demo was hilarious. We would love to be a part of it and hopefully we would actually serve up photos.

What about watching HD videos on TVs? That's what I want.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2008
    By the way - contacting Apple and telling them you'd like to see SmugMug on AppleTV, that'd be a great thing to do thumb.gif
  • Options
    dddseedddsee Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited January 17, 2008
    AppleTV 2...
    Andy wrote:
    By the way - contacting Apple and telling them you'd like to see SmugMug on AppleTV, that'd be a great thing to do thumb.gif

Yes... Already did. Hope they will do something about it.

THANKS
  • Options
    darryldarryl Registered Users Posts: 997 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Sheaf wrote:

Sheaf:

I think I saw that you and the MacAskill clan playing Rock Band on probably an XBox 360 or PS3. I really have to recommend that you find somebody who has a Wii and pop in an SD card with a bunch of photos on it, then fire up the Photo Channel. It is actually a really simple, yet fun and compelling way to view (and interact) with photos (and it's wicked fast).

I liked this funny cartoon "behind-the-scenes" discussion about the development of the app:

http://us.wii.com/story_photo.jsp

--Darryl
  • Options
    SheafSheaf Registered Users, SmugMug Product Team Posts: 775 SmugMug Employee
    edited January 18, 2008
    I own a Wii and love it. I'll have to check out the Photo Channel again (I remember not being impressed the first time).

I can see slideshows being a great thing to watch on a TV, but I'm not sold on the rest of the browsing experience. It's kind of like playing first-person shooters on a game console. Without a mouse, it just feels clunky and awkward (and it turns out that mouse-users absolutely dominate console-controller-users when they face off).

AJAX + Stretchy has completely changed the way I browse photos. I'm incredibly addicted to getting a huge main image with tons of thumbnails and clicking thumbnails all over the place. Of course I have a couple of very large monitors and a fast internet connection though.

Fortunately for you AppleTV fans, I'm in the minority here at SmugMug. Most of the rest are chomping at the bit to integrate with it.
    SmugMug Product Manager
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    Sheaf wrote:

Have you ever honestly sat down with the grandparents or some other distant family that you're visiting and shown them some shots? I used to be the same mind set... then I had an opportunity to plug my 20D into my parents big screen TV and show them the shots we took in zion and grand canyon. Even at SD resolution, this was the first time I'd seen them outside of chimping, and I was quickly able to spot some of the best ones in there. Now I pack that stupid cable every time we go on a trip. Already used it a couple more times to show large groups of folks a "slide show" of something... one time the grandparents and aunts and uncles and nieces and nephews and all the shots of the house we had just bought... another the vacation snaps of a trip we were coming back from when we stopped to see them. It's not something I'd do if I had my mac at hand, but when you're outside your normal environment, and need to do a quick and dirty show for a large number of folks, it's a lot better than running to somewhere to get a bunch of prints of images site unseen, or trying to huddle around the lcd on the back of your camera, or dealing with an unknown computer (if they even have one). It's like the modern day slide show... only not as boring (i hope) and a lot quicker and easier.
    jfriend wrote:
    What about watching HD videos on TVs? That's what I want.

Bingo.
    Andy wrote:

btdt, bcc'd you for your amusement. :D

I might also call them tomorrow and make a second request "in person".
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    cabbey wrote:

btdt, bcc'd you for your amusement. :D
    A great email :) Permission to post it here too? clap.gif
  • Options
    TazooTazoo Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited March 16, 2008
    dddsee wrote:
    Hi, I just saw the keynote from MacWorld and Steve Jobs showing how AppleTV2 works and that it's also integrated with Flickr. Can I use AppleTV2 with Smugmug too?
    I too was waiting for this feature and finally gave up after reading this thread. However, there is a 'quick fix' for the impatient ...

Step1: Enable ssh (what's this? Look at: http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Take2patch)

Step2: Install CouchSurfer. This is a web-browser for AppleTV Take2. Want details? See: http://wiki.awkwardtv.org/wiki/Couch_Surfer

I tested the above browser by visiting smugmug.com and then browsing sample themes. The slide shows come up just fine. Since the slideshows seem to have been implemented without flash, only the basic CouchSurfer installation is required. You don't have to bend over backwards to install flash.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    rcawthrcawth Registered Users Posts: 9 Beginner grinner
    edited March 17, 2008
    no, TV only supports fliker and .mac photo galleries, even then it's not that great because it just shows then in a slide show fashion, not good for browsing.
  • Options
    black_fx_35black_fx_35 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Possibility of AppleTV?
    So I did a quick search and couldn't find anything about apple tv (granted my search abilities are probably weak), so sorry in advance if this is posted elsewhere. Any possibility of SmugMug interfacing with AppleTV? I just purchased AppleTV and noticed it is "F word" compatible, but am hoping at some point it will work with the "S word" too! Any thoughts?
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2008
    So I did a quick search and couldn't find anything about apple tv (granted my search abilities are probably weak), so sorry in advance if this is posted elsewhere. Any possibility of SmugMug interfacing with AppleTV? I just purchased AppleTV and noticed it is "F word" compatible, but am hoping at some point it will work with the "S word" too! Any thoughts?
    Hi, try the custom search, works great - I found this thread and moved your post thumb.gif
  • Options
    black_fx_35black_fx_35 Registered Users Posts: 134 Major grins
    edited May 3, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    Hi, try the custom search, works great - I found this thread and moved your post thumb.gif

Sorry I wasn't able to find this post...thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Anyone have an appropriate e-mail address for apple to provide feedback regarding this? Thanks again.
  • Options
    edited May 3, 2008
    Sorry I wasn't able to find this post...thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Anyone have an appropriate e-mail address for apple to provide feedback regarding this? Thanks again.
    Randy, no problem :)

http://www.apple.com/contact/
  • Options
    javierplumeyjavierplumey Registered Users Posts: 131 Major grins
    edited May 10, 2008
    So is this effort dead? Am I doomed to hooking up a Mac Mini to my TV to get living room viewing of my pictures?

Please tell me there's some movement on this. :)

You guys rock...
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited May 11, 2008
    Andy wrote:
    A great email :) Permission to post it here too? clap.gif

Oi! I just saw this request.
    Howdy Steve*,
    I couldn't help but notice the bit of a snafu in the keynote Tuesday when flickr decided not to serve up any content. Hardly as embarrassing as Gate's BSoD during the windows launch a few years back, but still... you didn't look happy to have that egg on your face. I can't help but think, that as much as the SmugMug team are raving Mac fanatics, they'd have done whatever it took to ensure your keynote went without a hitch. Which probably wouldn't have been much since they already have a solid API that quite a number of folks pound away at, and an uptime history that's pretty phenomenal. I'm sure if there was an SDK for the AppleTV out on ADC that someone would have already developed an option to link into their photo sharing service instead of flickr... but since that SDK doesn't seem to be public, perhaps when your team looks for the next thing to bring to the AppleTV they can wander down the road to SmugHQ and bring both high quality images, and the HD video they're letting their customers share, to the AppleTV experience. (Had you said SmugMug instead of Flickr I'd have already bought two AppleTVs purely for shipping to the grandparents pre-configured to access the gallery of their new grandson.) I'm quite sure the guys at SmugMug would welcome your folks to the party.

(* or whichever minion it is in your office that has the task of draining what I suspect is a never ending sea of email that arrives at this address.)

--
    Never make a technical decision based upon the politics of the situation.
    Never make a political decision based upon technical issues.
    The only place these realms meet is in the mind of the unenlightened.
    -- Geoffrey James, The Zen of Programming
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    jirijiri Registered Users Posts: 54 Big grins
    edited October 4, 2008
    Any news on SmugMug on AppleTV? I just bought AppleTV for my parents, it is going to really painful to keep SmugMug and Flickr in sync ....

bowdown.gif

thank you
    jiri
  • Options
    edited November 18, 2008
    Any update? This might sound like silly naive question, Andy did you (smugmug) contact Apple recently? It's really said that AppleTV does not allow to view Smugmug photos.
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2008
    jiri wrote:
    Any update?

I'm sorry there's no update :( I wish I could give you a better answer right now, I really do.
  • Options
    canondudecanondude Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited November 26, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    I'm sorry there's no update :( I wish I could give you a better answer right now, I really do.

Roku has announced they will show Flickr photos.
    Does SmugMug have plans to get into AppleTV and Roku devices ?

Do we actually know what needs to be done to get into those boxes ?
  • Options
    havanesehavanese Registered Users Posts: 197 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2009
    canondude wrote:
    Roku has announced they will show Flickr photos.
    Does SmugMug have plans to get into AppleTV and Roku devices ?

Do we actually know what needs to be done to get into those boxes ?

With Roku opening up to many different services, it would be great to get SM on their device as well. It would make showing my parents our pictures so much easier.
    Randy P.
    Fuji X shooter
    Thoughts and Images
  • Options
    aaronpriestaaronpriest Registered Users Posts: 58 Big grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    havanese wrote:
    With Roku opening up to many different services, it would be great to get SM on their device as well. It would make showing my parents our pictures so much easier.

Yeah, I second the Roku idea! Several members of my family are using Rokus with FaceBook's photos, and their compression stinks!
  • Options
    georgesgeorges Registered Users Posts: 138 Major grins
    edited November 29, 2009
    Jumping on the Roku bandwagon
    I'll add my vote to Roku. I'm viewing my popular photo rss feed vs. the FrameChannel channel, but I'd sure like to pick any gallery directly through the roku box. It would be great when relatives visit. I really enjoy seeing my photos on the big screen. gs
    See you later, gs

http://georgesphotos.net
  • Options
    CanonRebelzCanonRebelz Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited November 30, 2009
    Sheaf wrote:
    I own a Wii and love it. I'll have to check out the Photo Channel again (I remember not being impressed the first time).

I can see slideshows being a great thing to watch on a TV, but I'm not sold on the rest of the browsing experience. It's kind of like playing first-person shooters on a game console. Without a mouse, it just feels clunky and awkward (and it turns out that mouse-users absolutely dominate console-controller-users when they face off).

AJAX + Stretchy has completely changed the way I browse photos. I'm incredibly addicted to getting a huge main image with tons of thumbnails and clicking thumbnails all over the place. Of course I have a couple of very large monitors and a fast internet connection though.

Fortunately for you AppleTV fans, I'm in the minority here at SmugMug. Most of the rest are chomping at the bit to integrate with it.
    I'm almost the same way. I don't really want to see photos on my TV. Besides, my TV is fat and ugly, about 32", once I buy a better TV that's calibrated, I might change me mind :P
    Oh, and if I had an apple TV too. I'm sure you can stream photos to your TV without having apple TV unit thing, it'd just be a bigger hassle.
    But, imagine you went on a marvelous trip to the Bahamas. Well, you come back with loads of photos to show your family and friends. Have everyone come over, chilling on the couch watching your photos of your trip scroll by. A lot better than being crowded around the computer, am I right?
    Save $5 off your SmugMug subscription by using this code fb25FQ7gR6O96!
  • Options
    FunmugsFunmugs Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited December 15, 2009
    Has anyone tried viewing their galleries with this? I do not yet have ATV but am interested in the family access option to view smugmug galleries/videos.

http://www.atvflash.com/product_info.php?products_id=27
  • Options
    hoffmcshoffmcs Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2010
    havanese wrote:
    Check out my thread at http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=155155, I am looking for testers for the a SmugMug Roku channel that I wrote.
  • Options
    hoffmcshoffmcs Registered Users Posts: 125 Major grins
    edited February 1, 2010
    hoffmcs wrote:
    Check out my thread at http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=155155, I am looking for testers for the a SmugMug Roku channel that I wrote.
    SmugMug is now available in the Roku channel store!
  • Options
    edited February 6, 2010
    I'm almost the same way. I don't really want to see photos on my TV. Besides, my TV is fat and ugly, about 32", once I buy a better TV that's calibrated, I might change me mind :P
    Oh, and if I had an apple TV too. I'm sure you can stream photos to your TV without having apple TV unit thing, it'd just be a bigger hassle.
    But, imagine you went on a marvelous trip to the Bahamas. Well, you come back with loads of photos to show your family and friends. Have everyone come over, chilling on the couch watching your photos of your trip scroll by. A lot better than being crowded around the computer, am I right?

I bought my dad AppleTV and share some photos via Flickr (I wish I could say smugmug). He loves it. Every time I visit, we spend time and go through old snaps on AppleTV with nice jazz music which starts playing automatically. I've seen few other TV-like implementations are they all suck. AppleTV turned this into another level and make photo sharing much more interesting.