Options

What is the difference between an MII and a MIIN

craftgirlcraftgirl Registered Users Posts: 144 Major grins
edited January 17, 2008 in Cameras
Hey guys, i searched around and didnt see anything about this....

I heard there was a "sports shooting" related difference between the Canon Mark II and the MarkIIN....Can someone fill me in? Im in the market to upgrade and I dont want to spend that kind of money on the wrong camera for what I do....

Thanks so much.
Tracy :rofl
Canon Stuff
www.craftgirlcreations.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    From that link and comparison at dpreview... it surely doesn't look all that different..
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2008
    Thanks Andy.
    Canon Stuff
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2008
    Moogle, I agree with you. They look so similar in comparing...I will have to read the user reviews to dig up what they are saying.
    Canon Stuff
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2008
    After reading a few here and there, it seems that sports shooters prefer the "N".....what do users here think? Inquiring minds want to know....mwink.gif
    Canon Stuff
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    AFAIK there is only slight differences, the N is an update of the Mk II. IIRC it was supposed to be an improvement in AF, possibly a bit improved noise (though I'm not sure there), and didn't the N have a larger LCD? I think the biggest difference is the price. I can say that once funds allow, I will jump to either one, whichever shows up with the best deal at the time.
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2008
    I am with you there Chris. Ive seen some pretty good deals on used of both versions....It'll be the camera that I keep for a long time though so I just want to make sure.
    Canon Stuff
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited January 17, 2008
    As Chris mentioned, there "may" have been some changes to autofocus, but Canon never made that clear.

I own the Canon 1D MKII, and for football I found I got very good results with the following settings:

1) Center focus dot only.
    2) AI Servo
    3) "Pumping" the autofocus by repeatedly pushing the shutter button halfway until the action started, and then just jamming that shutter button down in hi-speed continuous capture until the action stopped or I lost the action in the viewfinder or ran out of buffer.
    4) AI Servo tracking sensitivity bumped down by 1.

Note that last difference (#4). It has been suggested (by others) that the Canon 1D MKIIN may have simply been adjusted in AI Servo response to that of the MKII with that sensitivity turned down a bit. (Equivalent to C.Fn 20 value of "2", "Moderately Slow")

In fact, it was this suggestion by others that caused me to try that AI Servo tracking sensitivity change, and I do believe that I achieved a higher rate of "keepers".

BTW, all that setting does is change the timing for when the AI Servo gets "interrupted" and re-adjusts. Reducing the sensitivity does not mean reduced performance by the AF circuits.

Bottom line, I do believe that the 1D MKII is still a very competent 'sports" camera, but with that single change in the Custom Functions it may be closer in performance to the 1D MKIIN, which is still among the best in the business.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2008
    Ziggy, I was so hoping you would chime in here. Thanks so much for the info....I cant wait to get my hands on either one truthfully....Im drooling at the thought.
    Canon Stuff
  • Options
    FoocharFoochar Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    You may also want to take a look at http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-7885-7973. It is a review of the Mark IIN when it first came out, and speaks about what the differences are between the two. Larger screen is one of the most noticeable changes, but there is also some changes to the internals, things like in camera sharpening, file numbering, etc.
    --Travis
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited January 17, 2008
    Foochar wrote:
    You may also want to take a look at http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/content_page.asp?cid=7-7885-7973. It is a review of the Mark IIN when it first came out, and speaks about what the differences are between the two. Larger screen is one of the most noticeable changes, but there is also some changes to the internals, things like in camera sharpening, file numbering, etc.

Thanks Travis!

One feature of the "N" version that I would love to have (occasionally) is the different ways you can treat the two storage card functionality. The 1D MKIIN and 1D MKIII are so very nice in this regard.

A (slightly) larger and faster shot buffer is another very valuable addition.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2008
    You guys rock, this is exactly the kind of feed back I was looking for.
    Canon Stuff