Options

Need camera bag suggestions!

helkathelkat Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
edited July 6, 2010 in Accessories
I have a 20D and about 4 lenses. I am considering the Canon Backpack, the Sinking Barge, and the 7 Million Dollar Home.
Right now, DH and I are trying to cram both of our "stuff" into one bag, LOL!

I know there is a huge price difference between the Crumplers and the Canon, but I am okay with that if the price difference is worth it!

What advice do you have for me, oh wise ones??

Thanks,
Helga

Comments

• Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    I am also looking at the 7 million bag but found it too expensive and it carry more than you need then become too heavy to carry on one shoulder.

You mentioned that you have 4 lens, I don't think you will carry all for every trip. Look for a backpack which help to distribute the weight more evenly. The Lowepro AW series is pretty good. Backpack can also hold the tripod if necessary.

One reminder, a nice looking camera bag will invite trouble when you travel by air or going thru the security check. Everybody will be eyeing your bag and wondering how much the content cost.

I modify some of the normal backpack, carry-on bag and trolley case to hide my gears. So I can leave it on the overhead compartment safely for the long distance flight.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    I've had two different Crumpler bags. 4Million & 6Million. While they are nice bags and well constructed. They arent' that hot for camera bags IMHO. Your buying the name more than the bag if your a photog IMO. I can't speak for the other bags they carry though.

I just got the Domke F-2 Original and while it looks small. It nolds a ton! It holds my SLR, 3 speedlights, 5 PW's, 2 speedlights, gary fong LS, All the chargers & cables for all my gear including nicad charger for the batteries, 5 different filters (68mm),18-704.5, and it's all very neatly separated. My only grip is it doesn't have a small enough place for memory and other ultra small items. But I've already fixed that problem!

I'll do a write up in it as soon as I'm done this insane project I'm doing now. It's worth every penny IMOthumb.gif
  • Options
    kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited January 17, 2008
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    I've had two different Crumpler bags. 4Million & 6Million. While they are nice bags and well constructed. They arent' that hot for camera bags IMHO. Your buying the name more than the bag if your a photog IMO. I can't speak for the other bags they carry though.
    I agree. I have the 7 Million Dollar Home, and almost never use it. I did a mini-writeup on it in this thread here:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?p=335417

Regards,
    -joel
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    600+ camera-bag reviews: http://www.cambags.com/ thumb.gif
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    you probably don't need anything this big, but i have a tamrac pro 12 bag and love it. mine is configured to hold 2 full size bodies w/ medium zoom lenses, 2 on camera flash units, 1 gary fong lightsphere, 1 2x teleconverter, 2 additional zoom lenses, a dedicated pocket for fresh batteries, a dedicated pocket for used batteries, more pockets for qr and tripod mounts, a dedicated pocket for pens, a dedicated pocket for my giottos air blaster, and more...

it's an incredible bag.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Second the pro 12 5612. I can carry two cameras (one with 70-200 attached, one with 50mm 1.8 attached), an external hard drive, 3 flashes, 2 other lenses (depending on plans), 16 AA batteries, 4 camera batteries, all my memory, L-358 light meter, gary fong, two stofen, cables, AA battery recharger and pack, dust blower, remotes, and I'm necessary a tripod. Ridiculous the amount this will store.

For one camera and 4 lenses though look at the Slingshot 300aw too.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    rbrugmanrbrugman Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    I have a Lowepro Slingshot 100. I love it. It fits my D80 just fine and dandy. You will probably need at least the 200 for four lenses but they also make a 300. They are nice because they just slide around and you have quick access to your camera. No having to take the packpack off and no lugging around of a shoulder pack.
  • Options
    ArvanArvan Registered Users Posts: 888 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    How bout the lowepro minitrekker AW ??...Takes 2 houses with..about 4 or more lenses plus some "crap". Allso carries a tripod and so. very comfy to wear even if it´s fully loaded.
  • Options
    PupatorPupator Registered Users Posts: 2,322 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    I've got a Lowepro Compu Daypack (grey) that I'll sell you if you're interested. It holds the body, several lenses, plus has a padded part for a laptop that you can use or not use.

I like being able to have a computer and camera in one bag, but I don't have enough camera stuff to make it worth it. I've switch to the Crumpler and it suits me fine.

PM if interested.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    I have the Lowepro Computrekker backpack. it is a great bag for holding all my gear, laptop, and lots of other stuff. I use it more for storage, as it is where everything is kept. I can grab the back and take everything. It isnt that comfortable to really hike with, but good for short outings.

I recommend you look at the Stealth Reporter line from Lowepro. The 200AW or 300AW may be perfect for what you have. Very nice bags
  • Options
    keeprightkeepright Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    General suggestion: nobody ever says "I wish my camera bag was just a little smaller."

The size of bag you need depends on the lenses: if four lenses is a couple of primes, the 18-55 and 70-300, that's one size. If it's the 300mm, 24-70, 70-200 and the 100-400, that's another matter entirely.

I have the Crumpler 7M, and it's a big bag. It holds my 35-100 f/2, which is bigger than the 70-200 f/2.8, and will still hold a body and at least three other lenses. (Typically the 7-14, 14-54, 50mm f/2, and 1.4TC.) It's solidly built and well padded, and while it holds a lot, I'm never astonished at its capacity. It's a big bag and looks it.

SloYerRoll mentions Domke, and I entirely agree with his assessment. I have the F6 "little bit smaller" and am frequently amazed by what it holds. It's a different philosophy for a camera bag, as it doesn't have a lot of padding. You trade a little bit of protection in exchange for better capacity and a more natural "fit" when carrying it. I prefer it to my Crumpler and carry it whenever I don't need a bag tall enough for my largest lens.
  • Options
    RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    helkat wrote:
    I have a 20D and about 4 lenses. I am considering the Canon Backpack, the Sinking Barge, and the 7 Million Dollar Home.
    Right now, DH and I are trying to cram both of our "stuff" into one bag, Laughing.gif!

I know there is a huge price difference between the Crumplers and the Canon, but I am okay with that if the price difference is worth it!

Thanks,
    Helga

Hi Helga, I've had the Canon backpack for a couple of years now, assuming you are referring to this one. Suffering from a serious bag fetish, I was surprised to actually end up liking this bag, as it's rare for me to like an inexpensive purse or bag.

The Canon backpack has good, customizable, space inside. It continues to look brand new regardless of the abuse I put it through. We travel 4-6 times per year, and I carry this along with a laptop bag and purse...so it's been scrunched, stuffed, and tossed around, yet there isn't a mark on it. Last summer I forgot it on our boat for two weeks, and there was no damage to gear or bag from the salty air.

I don't care for Crumpler bags, so can't help you there, but I've used Tamrac bags and they hold up well, too. What I like about the Canon, over the Tamrac bags I've had, is that you can remove the extra multitude of straps from the Canon. Most camera bags aren't all that fashionable looking anyhow, so good functionality is a must imo!
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]
  • Options
    helkathelkat Registered Users Posts: 25 Big grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Thanks everyone!!
    I really appreciate all the suggestions!! I don't think I am intersted in the Crumpler anymore.

I am *pretty sure* that I would prefer a backpack...I have a 3 year old and a 12 month old, who I usually have in a carrier. I am thinking either the Canon backpack or a Slingshot maybe.

Thanks again for all your suggestions!

Helga
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    You are so very right...
    "One reminder, a nice looking camera bag will invite trouble when you travel by air or going thru the security check. Everybody will be eyeing your bag and wondering how much the content cost."

Once when my wife was showing one of our dogs at a Southern California dog show, she had forgotten the bag that she carries her ring supplies in (comb, brush, water spray bottle, etc). I emptied my small Tamrac camera bag and left the contents in the RV while we went to the show ring.

Sometime during the show, someone ripped off the Tamrac bag. Obviously the thief thought that it contained photo equipment. Imagine the thief's surprise when he or she found a brush, comb and plastic water bottle in the bag. I found the bag later in a trash can on the show grounds.

I often carry gear in a soft sided Coleman cooler bag when I am in areas that give me bad vibes. The padded cooler protects the gear from bumps and I suspect that most thieves won't rip off what may be a couple of ham and cheese sanwiches and an apple.
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 18, 2008
    rpcrowe wrote:
    I often carry gear in a soft sided Coleman cooler bag when I am in areas that give me bad vibes. The padded cooler protects the gear from bumps and I suspect that most thieves won't rip off what may be a couple of ham and cheese sanwiches and an apple.

Great idea! Heard of diaper bags being converted to camera bags as well.
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    Me too
    I've used a small lunch size cooler occasionally for body and one lens when travelling for a walk around. I also have travelled with the Canon Backpack and sewn patches over the Canon name and done the same with a small Tamrac backpack. Also have a Lowepro Computrekker more to store it all in then to travel with my gear.Now when I travel, I sometimes will use a plain black canvas shopping bag or unmarked backpack, use separate lens cases inside for protection and the sandwich size cooler for my body.
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    KEDKED Registered Users Posts: 843 Major grins
    edited January 19, 2008
    rpcrowe wrote:
    The padded cooler protects the gear from bumps and I suspect that most thieves won't rip off what may be a couple of ham and cheese sanwiches and an apple.
    Unless they are thinking "free beer"!
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    KED wrote:
    Unless they are thinking "free beer"!
    lol3.gif
  • Options
    Moogle PepperMoogle Pepper Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    My old Lowepro, handbag looking camera bag was beat up and tattered ... I guess no one wanted to see what was in it whenever I travel with it.ne_nau.gif

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16830997093

My new bag. I got it at $40 cause there was a special.
    Food & Culture.
    www.tednghiem.com
  • Options
    SavedByZeroSavedByZero Registered Users Posts: 226 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    I've had a few bags but by far the best bag I've owned is a Domke! Got a black F2 and a blue/tan F-3X that I've been using with out issue since way back in 94/95. And yes they are still waterproof after all this time!!

==> http://www.tiffen.com/domkecat07.htm

He also makes some hella good straps and vest too!! So take a look at a Domke bag before you buy anything else.

clap.gif
  • Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 21, 2008
    helkat wrote:
    Right now, DH and I are trying to cram both of our "stuff" into one bag, Laughing.gif!

Thanks,
    Helga

Sometime in the future you're gonna probably want another body....because it will help with being ready to have your 2 most used lenses ready to go and there is also the probablity that you'll want another lens or 2....so think that you may want to grow a bit....I use Lowe Pro bags....I have a Trekker Pro AW that I can put almost an entire Mom and POP camera store in and it will carry on airlines at least it was carry onable a couple of years ago.....so.....Why did I buy such a big camera backpack....I was traveling to Czech Republic and wanted to carry on ALL my cameras I was taking and also the lenses....once in Prague I unloaded what I did not want to carry with me....then I could add extra socks, t-shirts and shorts or pants for hiking for a few days....granted it was a bit large for a single day around Prague....but I could also carry food in it (if properly bagged to protect the back pack).....now when out in the country side if I had gotten into digital before this trip it would have been great to have been there with 2 Dslr Bodies and lenses and with also my KM A2 for the landscapes....DSLR's for everything but the long hikes looking for Landscapes.....instead of 50 lbs of 35mm and med format film cameras and film....:D
    I also have the Lowe Pro Orion waist pack and 2 LOwe Pro 75AW's on a military pistol belt with pistol belt suspenders...each of theses have specific uses now.....the bakpack for all events I am paid to be at (weddings etc etc) the Orion for carrying my A2 and the extra lenses for it, and the 75aw'a on belt with suspenders for carrying the DSLR's on motorcycle rides......

Good Luck
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    PhotoskipperPhotoskipper Registered Users Posts: 453 Major grins
    edited January 28, 2008
    I grate that you decided on the backpack. I have been using the Lowepro CompuTrekker AW for 3 years and travel more than 100K mileage (it is true according to my frequent flyer record).
    It swallows the 5D and Rebel body, a 24-105 F4, a 70-200 F2.8, a Sigma 18-200, a Tamron 11-18, 2 X 580EX flash, a Epson P200 HD. tons of battery, CF card and my company's Dell D420 with chargers and adaptors. A jacket, passport and wallet.

Althought it weight totally more than 16Kg, the airport security usually will not challenge you if you manage to put it on your back. (Hope that none of them read this):lift

It can also carry my 4Kg Gitzo tripod with ball head or 2 kg Slik AMT for trekkling.

I found it is a bit troublesome for changing the gears. I need to put it down on the floor before I access the lens or flash. Now I use it only for trekking, long distance travelling or real photo trip where people can wait for me to put down the bag.

for short walking trips, I use vest and belt to carry the essential accessories so that I do not need to stop and find the gears.

For daily jobs, I use the Tenba 12C which carry the 5D, 24-105 and 70-200 with one flash. It has a compartment for laptop or reflector. Small pocket in front can keep the HD, passport and filters.

i just got a Osprey Porter 46 backpack which is very lightweight and strong build and have one single big main compartment. I modified it for camera gears and travel essential for carry on. It works well for my 12 day Italy trip. At least all my gears were safely reach home with me together.
    Photoskipper
    flickr.com/photos/photoskipper/
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2010
    I have one of the Versabags and love it. It's essentially the older version of the Crumpler 7mdh bag.... but under $30, and an incredible bargain. Several people have confirmed by comparing side-by-side that it seems identical to the older 7mdh and of similar quality; it's suspected they're made by the same factory but without the label.

Thread/review I posted when I got it (including photos of it packed) here
  • Options
    travischancetravischance Registered Users Posts: 642 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    I am also looking at the 7 million bag but found it too expensive and it carry more than you need then become too heavy to carry on one shoulder.

You mentioned that you have 4 lens, I don't think you will carry all for every trip. Look for a backpack which help to distribute the weight more evenly. The Lowepro AW series is pretty good. Backpack can also hold the tripod if necessary.

One reminder, a nice looking camera bag will invite trouble when you travel by air or going thru the security check. Everybody will be eyeing your bag and wondering how much the content cost.

I modify some of the normal backpack, carry-on bag and trolley case to hide my gears. So I can leave it on the overhead compartment safely for the long distance flight.

Temba Shootout Mini (http://www.tenba.com/products/Shootout-Mini-Backpack.aspx. I have it & love it! I've had mine for about a year & a half and so far I've found it to be durable, waterproof & looks like any hiking backpack (doesn't scream that you are carrying photo gear). Mine currently holds the following:

7D with grip + 24-105L
    16-35L
    70-200L
    50 1.4
    4 B+W Filters (2 ND & 2 CPL)
    1 Lee 2-stop GND
    Expodisc 77mm white balance filter
    1.4x extender
    Small flashlight
    1 CF card case
    2 rainshields
    Giottos Rocket blaster
    Canon remote release

I hope this helps.

915707478_8boHc-M.jpg
    915707413_DrEhu-M.jpg
    915707580_zRsFj-M.jpg
    915707326_AFQeg-M.jpg
    Travis M. Chance
    twin Mark IV's & a bunch of "L" glass
    sitefacebook
  • Options
    dahn8dahn8 Registered Users Posts: 73 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    If you prefer shoulder bags, I've been using a LowePro Classified 160AW that I like a lot because to me, it doesn't look like a camera bag (esp in Sepia color). It's probably too small for your needs (I use it for a D700, 24-70mm, 80-200mm, SB-600 flash, and occasionally, a Zenitar fisheye).

But i liked it enough where i bought a LowePro Classified 250AW for when i need to travel and/or to store excess gear at home. It's a big bag and will probably carry what you listed. It loses some of the "not-a-camera-bag" look (at least from a side profile...it's pretty fat) but it's well designed nonetheless. There's also a 200AW version if you don't need to carry a laptop.

Here's LowePro's website: http://www.lowepro.com/classifiedseries

For both bags, I hated the included shoulder strap and bought an Op/Tech one to replace it.
  • Options
    SeefutlungSeefutlung Registered Users Posts: 2,781 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2010
    Domke!
    My snaps can be found here:
    Unsharp at any Speed
  • Options
    final_alarmfinal_alarm Registered Users Posts: 26 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    I have the lowepro flipside 400 and i really like it a lot. I can carry a 7d body, XSI body, 70-200 F2.8 L IS, 17-85 IS, 50 1.4, 70-300 iS USM, 18-135 IS, ex430 speedlight and other misc junk in it and it all fits fine with room to spare(soon to be filled with a 24-70L). The things i really like about it are the room, everything fits nice and tight and doesn't wiggle around at all. It also has a rain fly and the opening faces your back when its on you. I feel a lot more secure knowing my gear isn't going to fly out if the bag decides to come open. Its also built extremely well construction wise. It feels very tough and sturdy.

Before i had this bag i had the canon one and i didn't really like it. Nothing fit in it very snug and on mine the zipper had a tendency to come loose and the bag would start to open up as i was walking. It got to the point that i had to put a little padlock on it. That would have been a disaster if it came all the way open and everything fell out.
  • Options
    cabinetbuffcabinetbuff Registered Users Posts: 189 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    For a backpack I would recommend: Think Tank Airport Antidote

And for a shoulder bag: Think Tank Photo Urban Disguise 60

I use Airport Antidote for travel -- getting from A to B, then shooting out of a small shoulder bag or holster once on site. I find working out of a backpack too cumbersome. In fact, lately, I just sling a camera over the shoulder and go -- one lens can do wonders.

I use Urban Disguise 60 for everyday carry around town/office.

Both are awesome bags and held up to abuse over the years.
  • Options
    kevinpwkevinpw Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2010
    i have a Crumpler 5 million dollar home for everyday walking around.

Fits 1 body with 1 lens attached, 1 extra lens, and 1 flash, as well as misc stuff like batteries, etc.

9ae9c76e-f7d2-4e45-9354-6ec35a74e7ea.jpg
  • Options
    FlashlightPhotoFlashlightPhoto Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited June 29, 2010
    I use the Lowepro CompuTrekker AW and absolutely love it. I can fit a Canon 40D, w/ Canon 24mm f/2.8 attached, Canon 50mm f/1.8, Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro, Sigma 10mm f/2.8 fisheye, Lensbaby Composer & 3 Lensbaby lenses, Canon Speedlite 430ex, & Diffuser Softbox. I also strap my tripod on making it a very heavy pack when fully loaded. There is a rain cover and this thing is heavy duty. I like that it carries most of my gear, but wish it was lighter. It's extremely comfortable to wear, even fully loaded for long periods of time, but does not always fit in the overhead compartment on the airplane.