Options

Michael Reichman on the D3

HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
edited January 21, 2008 in Cameras
Hi Y'all,

MR in the discussion forum at Luminous-Landscape said that the D3 represents a real world value of at least 2 stops over any other camera he has seen.
Harry
http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"

Comments

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited January 16, 2008
    Harry,

I was in his Gallery in Toronto over the weekend he started shooting attendees with the D3. He was shooting at ISO 12000, 25600, and printing ~16x24 in images that looked lovely. Definitely some grain on a monitor, but in print, without noise cancelling software, ( I think ) they looked very nice. The color temp was well balanced in a room light by shade from a window, and the light from an LCD projector.

If I didn't have so much legacy in the white lens camp, I would have to reconsider. This is really good for both Nikon and Canon. I can't wait to see Canon's response with the 5D-II.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    Hi Y'all,

MR in the discussion forum at Luminous-Landscape said that the D3 represents a real world value of at least 2 stops over any other camera he has seen.

Seeing that he's been a Canon shooter for a while, that's saying something. THough I think we'd all love to have the kind of money he throws at gear...eek7.gif
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    Harry,

I was in his Gallery in Toronto over the weekend he started shooting attendees with the D3. He was shooting at ISO 12000, 25600, and printing ~16x24 in images that looked lovely. Definitely some grain on a monitor, but in print, without noise cancelling software, ( I think ) they looked very nice. The color temp was well balanced in a room light by shade from a window, and the light from an LCD projector.

If I didn't have so much legacy in the white lens camp, I would have to reconsider. This is really good for both Nikon and Canon. I can't wait to see Canon's response with the 5D-II.

Hey PF,

I've done around 1500 shots with the D3 and I'm still not believing what I'm seeing. I'm so used to being careful not to go over ISO 400 that it doesn't seem to real to just go to ISO 1600 and higher w/o worrying wether the image will be useable or not.

We all will reap the benefit as other camera makers will have to meet the challenge.
    Harry
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited January 17, 2008
    Seeing that he's been a Canon shooter for a while, that's saying something. THough I think we'd all love to have the kind of money he throws at gear...eek7.gif

It would be nice if we all could ahev a Nikon and a Canon set-up. But if that happened what we have to argue about. headscratch.gif

:D
    Harry
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Not to mention the MF rigs he has. I shudder to think what kind of investment he has in camera gear. Which doesn't even get into the multiple printers, etc. Sigh, I wish I was surrounded by money trees too.

BTW, isn't it nice to just bump the ISO and know the shot will come out? :Dmwink.gif
  • Options
    edited January 18, 2008
    Not to mention the MF rigs he has. I shudder to think what kind of investment he has in camera gear. Which doesn't even get into the multiple printers, etc. Sigh, I wish I was surrounded by money trees too.

BTW, isn't it nice to just bump the ISO and know the shot will come out? :Dmwink.gif

Actually I find the high ISO capability to be a double-edged sword. My older bodies enforced a discipline on me as to camera settings. I had poor lighting today so I just set the D3 to ISO 2000 and F/8 and then ran and gunned. When I reviewed my shots later I found some of them to have shutter speeds of 1/4000 sec, nice but not needed as most of my subjects today were static. Reminds me of the line from Jurrasic Park: "they were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should".
    Harry
  • Options
    gchappelgchappel Registered Users Posts: 120 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    I find myself using auto- iso on the D3 a lot more than my other cameras just for that reason. I set my shutterspeed and aperature in manual- and let the camera set the iso I need. It gives me the lowest iso I can use with the settings I require. Works great- and EC works perfectly here as well.
    Helped my shooting- wierd shooting at iso 1600 and not having to do any post processing for noise!
    Gary
  • Options
    jwwjww Registered Users Posts: 449 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    It would be nice if we all could ahev a Nikon and a Canon set-up. But if that happened what we have to argue about. headscratch.gif

:D

...I'm sure we'd find something! mwink.gif
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited January 20, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    It would be nice if we all could ahev a Nikon and a Canon set-up. But if that happened what we have to argue about. headscratch.gif:D

...nothing left to argue about. We all agree that the best way to process those raw shots you take with your Nikon/Canon is as DNGs through Lightroom on a Mac. Nope, no religious debates left. :D
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,852 moderator
    edited January 20, 2008
    gchappel wrote:
    ... auto- iso on the D3 ... I set my shutterspeed and aperature in manual- and let the camera set the iso I need. ...

That must be very freeing. thumb.gif

I swear, if Nikon doesn't stop producing cameras like the D3 and the D300, I might have to convert. :D
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 21, 2008
    colourbox wrote:
    ...nothing left to argue about. We all agree that the best way to process those raw shots you take with your Nikon/Canon is as DNGs through Lightroom on a Mac. Nope, no religious debates left. :D

:splat Baiting people is not nice...