Options

HS BB using RWells bounce technique

jonh68jonh68 Registered Users Posts: 2,711 Major grins
edited January 17, 2008 in Sports
I have always used bounce lighting, but I never pointed the flash backwards so it would bounce off the back wall. I tried it tonight and like the results. I used the 85 mm and the 80-200. With the 85, I was able to use ISO 400 at 2-2.2. I was using the flash pretty close to the players, but didn't get a complaint.

243969383-L.jpg

243972746-L.jpg

243971104-L.jpg

243969984-L.jpg

243976327-L.jpg

243974896-L.jpg

243973833-L.jpg

243975881-L.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Jon,

Pictures look good thumb.gif

WB is dead on.

Glad it worked for you too.
    Randy
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Good job Jon! The players look well lit w/o looking strobed.

I knew that rwells was onto something, I just couldn't figure out what it was!rolleyes1.gif (just kidding)
  • Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    very nice...what lightiing was used? was it a studio flash or Hotshoe used off camera?
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2008
    Thanks everyone, especially Rwells for giving tips like this.

I used a SB-800 mounted on the camera.

In regards to the WB, I shot in AWB. In post processing, I selected auto color correction. Most of the time, that tweaked it just enough. If it didn't, I desaturated a bit as my camera tends to oversaturate with a red tint. However, there were some shots I left warm as I thought it flattered the players better.

I still plan on getting an expodisk, but I am starting to learn how to tweak to get more natural colors. I am colorblind so I have to train my eyes as to what looks good and what looks overdone. I am getting a better feel on that. These were all shot jpg.
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Jon,

Results look great! Now I have to ask myself if I want to give up burst to make this happen for me (I like to shoot 2-3 shot sequences and on a drive to the basket sometimes 5 shots - amazing how many times a hand will cover a face in one frame vs another). But the quality is definitely there so it's worth considering.clap.gif
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    Depending on the power level. You can have your cake and eat it too. If your power is set to 1/4 you get a busrt of four shots before the capacitor is dry and you need to let it charge.

I'd set my strobe to manual, set the cam on burst and hammer down. Best of both worldsthumb.gif
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    johng wrote:
    Jon,

Results look great! Now I have to ask myself if I want to give up burst to make this happen for me (I like to shoot 2-3 shot sequences and on a drive to the basket sometimes 5 shots - amazing how many times a hand will cover a face in one frame vs another). But the quality is definitely there so it's worth considering.clap.gif

John,

I've shot burst 3~5 using bounce flash with mixed feelings. Everyone's OK with the one bounced shot off the back wall/ceiling, but I feel very uneasy firing off +/- 3 shots when someone is coming in for a layup.

I personally don't do burst with flash due to that reason. Technically it can be done. If your not working your flash that hard (high ISO - wide aperture, etc) ETTL will do it just fine.

I don't like the 1/4 power option due to the fixed nature of exposure. 1/4 power may not be enough when you start your burst, then the distance gets right for correct exposure, then your over-exposing on the next.

Check it out for yourself though, everyone has different likes/dislikes.

Man, I hear you on the arms over the face. Some nights its chickens, some nights is just feathers rolleyes1.gif

If I'm having a feathers night, I'll turn the flash off and shoot available light burst till I have my contract amount of good shots in the bag, then I'll go back to the better flash technique and use those to send in when I can.

Hey, it's not a perfect world, I just live here ne_nau.gif

Hope that helps...
    Randy
  • Options
    edited January 16, 2008
    One thing about this method is you get about 3 shots each trip down the court so it helps to anticipate. However, when you do get that one good shot, it's great.

In my case, I just need 2-3 for each game. Of course, with my D50, my "burst" rate is 2.5 per second, so it's almost like using the flash anyway/rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited January 16, 2008
    rwells wrote:
    Man, I hear you on the arms over the face. Some nights its chickens, some nights is just feathers rolleyes1.gif

Outstanding rolleyes1.gif
    I'm gonna have to remember that one!
  • Options
    RandySmugMugRandySmugMug Registered Users Posts: 1,651 Major grins
    edited January 17, 2008
    nice

i discovered this trick by accident one night (yea i had the head backwards and didn't realize it for a few shots).....it works well and the kids appreciate it