Options

Lighting for product photography

dbrannendbrannen Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
edited January 12, 2008 in Accessories
I have been looking for a good lighting kit for product photography which can double as a portrait kit from time to time. the issue I am having is that the learning curve for lighting systems seems a bit steep. Please correct any mistaken assumptions that you run across here.
1. I am assuming that for product photography constant illumination (vs strobe) is the norm. I will build my own light box so that is not a necessity.
2. I would prefer Strobe with model lamp for the portrait work, unless someone can convince me otherwise. My main reason for choosing strobe is heat and model discomfort.

Does ayone know of a product that might be able to cover my needs without having to purchase both systems? I gues I am asking whether cheaper, common lighting fixtures can be effectively use for the product photography while spending the majority of my funds on the strobe system for portraits.

I have found a local store in Portland that offers a Photoflex Starflash 300 kit for around $750.00. Two Starflash 300 strobes w/model lamp, two stands with Silver umbrellas.

Thanks in advance for your help!

David
www.dbphotopro.com

Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    Personally I would be looking at something from Paul C Buff....ie the White lIghtening system or the Alien Bees systems of strobes.....I have been using older WL system for many many years for Portraits, Weddings and some Product....I just do not want to be around hot lights of any sort and I know the Photoflex's are not hot lights but why do they need that many coiled flouro tubes on one light.....Paul Buff's customerservice has always been fantastic with me and truly fast turn arounds on repairs also.
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,827 moderator
    edited January 10, 2008
    I wound up buying FlashPoint monolights and I have been happy with both the performance and the value. Occasionally the logic controlling the modelling lights acts up and doesn't work properly, but a reset of the lights corrects the problem when required. It doesn't happen consistantly or often enough to warrant other attention.

I tested the lights for consistancy, color and control, and, put simply, I was very satisfied with the results and I use the lights professionally.

I recommend these lights without hesitation.

I do recommend "studio" electronic flash (monolights) for most portraiture, and product photography, because:

1) Not much heat buildup and very confortable for the subjects.
    2) The modeling lights provide enough light for positioning without reducing the pupils of the subjects.
    3) The electrical load is overall much less and less strenuous on otherwise healthy electrical circuits.
    4) The spectrum of daylight flash tubes closely matches daylight WB and allows more finely graduated flesh tones and more accurate metallic and painted finishes in product photography (IMHO).
    5) The combination of power output and short duration makes it much easier to control ambient light.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I do recommend "studio" electronic flash (monolights) for most portraiture, and product photography, because:

I agree. Get some strobes - you can use the modeling lights for constant illumination shots if you want. But, to get enough light for a lot of portriat situations you will need some extremely bright modeling lights - which get VERY HOT. Sweating subjects is never a good thing. Go for the strobes. There are a lot of good brands out there. I have had good experiences with the Paul C Buff products (I use White-Lightnings), and with Photogenics. I am sure other brands will do fine as well.
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    OK, here is my recommendation.

Go to home depot, and get a couple of halogen shop lights. They come with stands, and put out a ton of light.

Next spend uncountable hours trying to get the light right for those shots. Work on the product stuff first, just make sure the product isn't flammable. This is a great set up during the winter in a cold garage. Don't worry about the summer, you will have abandoned this set up by that time due to poor results.

Next try buying a bunch of those clip on metal shop lights and daylight balance bulbs. Go through the same disappointing efforts that you did with the halogen shop lights. But this time get all kinds of fabric to diffuse, and bounce the light.

Now when you have had enough of this nonsense, and have piled this junk up in the corner of the garage never to be used again. Go out and buy a set of strobes.

There are many brands to choose from. I have a set of Alien Bees, and believe these are a great value, and great bang for the buck. Their customer service is world renowned.

Your very first shots with the strobes will most likely be far better, and easier than your best shots with the Rub Goldberg set ups.

Sam
  • Options
    dbrannendbrannen Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    All great advice
    Thanks to all of you for your advice. I think that trying what Sam suggested just might be the prudent approach. As much as I love buying gear, I have to admit that this should take a back seat to actually learning just how and why things look the way they do with a lens as opposed to the naked eye.
    Thank you again for all of your help, these forums have been priceless in their ability to humble and teach.

David

www.dbphotopro.com
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 10, 2008
    The best $50 you'll ever spend will be to buy Light - Science & Magic by Hunter, Biver & Fuqua. What you'll learn from that book is way more important than which type of lights to buy, though I don't disagree at all with the advice we've been given here.

The good thing about those gonzo halogen worklights that Sam (tongue in cheek) suggested you buy is that when you've decided they suck for photography, they're still real useful!
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 11, 2008
    Sam wrote:
    OK, here is my recommendation.

Go to home depot, and get a couple of halogen shop lights. They come with stands, and put out a ton of light.

Next spend uncountable hours trying to get the light right for those shots. Work on the product stuff first, just make sure the product isn't flammable. This is a great set up during the winter in a cold garage. Don't worry about the summer, you will have abandoned this set up by that time due to poor results.

Next try buying a bunch of those clip on metal shop lights and daylight balance bulbs. Go through the same disappointing efforts that you did with the halogen shop lights. But this time get all kinds of fabric to diffuse, and bounce the light.

Now when you have had enough of this nonsense, and have piled this junk up in the corner of the garage never to be used again. Go out and buy a set of strobes.

There are many brands to choose from. I have a set of Alien Bees, and believe these are a great value, and great bang for the buck. Their customer service is world renowned.

Your very first shots with the strobes will most likely be far better, and easier than your best shots with the Rub Goldberg set ups.

Sam

rolleyes1.gifroflrolleyes1.gif

At first I was thinking "what in the @&ll is Sam saying?! HAve those worms done something to his brain?" Then I got to the last part of the post.

BTDT, the work lights in the end got moved to the use for which the manufacturer intended. I am fortunate in that I have a set of proper monolights on long-term loan, but can vouch that investing in the right tools is well worth it. I'll now most likely be going the AB route when I have to give the loaners back.
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    Sam wrote:

Sam

And you know this process so well, because...???
    :uhoh

...first hand experience???? naughty.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac