Options

580EX II vs 580EX

evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
edited January 15, 2008 in Accessories
So I'm reading around and there's mixed praise and complaints about the new features of the 580EXII. Just wondering if people here are using it and what people here think about using the 580EXII new menus, lack of off/master/slave switch and apparent difficulty in triggering other flashes.
Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited January 11, 2008
    I'm using an EXII though I don't use all of the features available to
    me.

Sorry I can't be more help.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    I'll let you know in about a week.

I just ordered a 580EXII to go along with my 580EX. If there's something to gripe about, I'll find it..... I'm the man for that job rolleyes1.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    I'm using an EXII and can say the construction and handling is vastly improved over the 580EX. Much better push feel to the controls, the hotshoe lock is easier, it includes a sync port, and it really does recycle faster. If you have the money, the EXII is definitely the way to go.

I use PW's to trigger remote strobes so the IR master/slave triggering isn't an issue. The 580EX has it's own issues-- IR won't work in bright sunlight, it's line of site only, etc. I'd imagine it's the same with the EXII.

I do wish the EXII sync port was a mini-phone plug, but that can be changed. I still find a sync cord port more reliable to trigger with a PW than a hotshoe to mini-phone, though.

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    I have both, and am just learning to use them. I fire them with an ST-E2. I am not really great at using them, but I will say that I like the ease of use of the EX much better than the II. On the II you have to hold the button for, I guess three seconds, to get into a mode to make changes. On the EX the ease of changing settings seems simpler. Getting into the slave/channel menus seems easier on the EX. I am not using any of the 'differences', only because I am still reading manuals and learning. I prefer the EX over the II, side by side, only because I knew the EX first, but I'm willing to bet, once I learn to operate the fuctions on the II, I will love it. They both produce the same great flash.

I just got my EXII and this is my first practice with both
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    edited January 12, 2008
    Here is a review stating the differences between the two.

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-580EX-II-Speedlite-Flash-Review.aspx
    Randy
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    rwells wrote:

http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-580EX-II-Speedlite-Flash-Review.aspx

Thanks for the link. Exactly what I needed to know, myself.
    Growing with Dgrin

• Options
    dogwooddogwood Registered Users Posts: 2,572 Major grins
    edited January 12, 2008
    rwells wrote:

Cool-- this is a very helpful link and explains in detail the differences. thumb.gif

Portland, Oregon Photographer Pete Springer
    website blog instagram facebook g+

• Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited January 12, 2008
    I agree that the 580ex seems to be easier and more intuitive to use.

The 580ex has several functions that are hidden down in menus that are not as easy to figure out in the field without the manual ( like how to set master/ slave etc ). I never really needed the manual with the 580ex since its controls seemed more easy to understand.

And what in the world is Canon thinking when they did not include a PC cord with this flash that retails for ~$350 and includes a PC connection?? Tacky, tacky!!
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited January 12, 2008
    pathfinder wrote:
    And what in the world is Canon thinking when they did not include a PC cord with this flash that retails for ~$350 and includes a PC connection?? Tacky, tacky!!

I agree!

Luckily, PW isn't so stingy. They INCLUDE a PC cord with every new PW thumb.gif
    Randy
  • Options
    glsmasterglsmaster Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited January 14, 2008
    Another link: 580EX vs 580EX II
    Guys, here is one more link you may want to check out: http://photo.greenlightstreet.com/www/index.php?/publisher/articleview/frmArticleID/7/
    There is also whole bunch of pictures there. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    yoshiyoshi Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited January 14, 2008
    The 580EX II is about 20% faster than the 580EX. I have small write here
  • Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited January 15, 2008
    Thanks for the responses everyone! This will help greatly in my decision! thumb.gif
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com