Options

Hot Monk

GiphsubGiphsub Registered Users Posts: 2,662 Major grins
edited January 11, 2008 in Wildlife
eys! :D

As promised, I went to the Nagano snow monkeys again this year. Got lots of pics. They just love sitting in the hot springs to warm up. Comments welcome. You might like to see the rest of the pics in my gallery here.

241013903-XL.jpg

241007494-XL.jpg

241009058-XL.jpg

241008011-XL.jpg

241009140-XL.jpg

241636398-XL.jpg

241013059-XL.jpg

241010294-XL.jpg

241010768-XL.jpg

241010997-XL.jpg

241011807-XL.jpg

241012097-XL.jpg

241012859-XL.jpg

241013735-XL.jpg

241013245-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    PrescottPhotogPrescottPhotog Registered Users Posts: 1,174 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Giphsub wrote:
    eys! :D As promised, I went to the Nagano snow monkeys again this year.

BRAVO Mike !!!. Absolutely beautiful pictures of such gentle looking critters. I tried to pick a favorite but that was almost impossible (at least for me). #1 and #5 have to rank right up there as favorites but the expression and eyes in #6 are almost mesmerizing.

Wow is all I can say, they are all wonderfully captured..clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Congratulations on a great set of photos.
    '
    Prescott Photog, Chris - " One Shot, One Still "
    '
    Canon CPS Member
    SmugMug Pro User - www.PrescottOutdoors.net
    NAPP Member..Click for Info
  • Options
    JenGraceJenGrace Registered Users Posts: 1,229 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    I really love the blissful expressions on their faces as they soak in the hot water. These are some of the most amazing shots I've ever seen.
    Jen

Gallery of mine...caution, it's under CONSTANT construction! | Photo Journal

In the right light, at the right time, everything is extraordinary. ~Aaron Rose
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    JenW wrote:
    I really love the blissful expressions on their faces as they soak in the hot water. These are some of the most amazing shots I've ever seen.

Blissful is a great description! What expressions! Hard to pick they are all wonderful, but I love the eyelids and the pose in #8 and the two that are face to face #1 and #14. clap.gif
  • Options
    riddim_makerriddim_maker Registered Users Posts: 1,835 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Awesome series Mikethumb.gif
    It's really hard to pick a favorite here
    I'll pick all of themwings.gif :ivar wings.gif
    Russ
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    ylsuper.gif

Your best yet
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    you done good Mikeclap.gif ---you did shows us how the hot tub works thumb.gif
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Thatsa lotta monkeys!

They look so much like people. Great captures!

Are their faces always that pink or is it from the heat and fur coats? :D
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Incredible! My son and I sat here ohhing and ahhing over them...their expressions and interactions and fuzziness and cuteness. Your shots really show them off well. GREAT job!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    BRAVO Mike !!!. Absolutely beautiful pictures of such gentle looking critters. I tried to pick a favorite but that was almost impossible (at least for me). #1 and #5 have to rank right up there as favorites but the expression and eyes in #6 are almost mesmerizing.

Wow is all I can say, they are all wonderfully captured..clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif Congratulations on a great set of photos.

Thanks Chris! The comments are much appreciated. This was my second time round going to the snow monkeys, so I was a bit better prepared and had thought a bit more about how to shoot there.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    JenW wrote:

Thanks Jen! That is a great compliment :D They weren't all quite so blissful though! Periodic domination contests and the odd "root and run" were also part of the show! rolleyes1.gif Not to mention one monkey we caught enjoying his own juices, so to speak.:puke1 :puke
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    saurora wrote:
    Blissful is a great description! What expressions! Hard to pick they are all wonderful, but I love the eyelids and the pose in #8 and the two that are face to face #1 and #14. clap.gif

Thanks saurora. I love those face to face shots too. And yes, the eyelids are amazing eh!
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Awesome series Mikethumb.gif
    It's really hard to pick a favorite here
    I'll pick all of themwings.gif :ivar wings.gif

rolleyes1.gif Sweet! Cheers Russ. Much appreciated. I think all those smilies are making me dizzy!
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    Harryb wrote:
    ylsuper.gif

Your best yet

Cheers Harry! Glad you like them. I'm still working on getting great bird shots like you guys in here, but I was very pleased with these pics.
  • Options
    spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    I concur with everyone else Mike clap.gif
    Angela
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    jwear wrote:
    you done good Mikeclap.gif ---you did shows us how the hot tub works thumb.gif

Thanks Jeff! :D The monkeys certainly made good use of the hot tub. There was even some monkey business going on in there!
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    schmoo wrote:
    Thatsa lotta monkeys!

They look so much like people. Great captures!

Are their faces always that pink or is it from the heat and fur coats? :D

Thanks Schmoo! Yeah I am amazed at how human-like they are. The way they sit and soak up the heat looks just like how the people here sit and soak it up in the onsens (hot springs). And the expressions are just so similar to us. I think their faces are quite pink naturally, but the heat is most likely beefing the pinkness up a notch or two.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    Elaine wrote:
    Incredible! My son and I sat here ohhing and ahhing over them...their expressions and interactions and fuzziness and cuteness. Your shots really show them off well. GREAT job!

Thanks Elaine! That kind of reaction makes all the effort of getting out there worth it! Glad you and your son could enjoy them :D
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    spechtal wrote:
    I concur with everyone else Mike clap.gif

Thanks Angela :D
  • Options
    raptorcaptorraptorcaptor Registered Users Posts: 3,968 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Excellent set Mike! I don't think I could pick a favourite out of this bunch, they are all so good! clap.gif
    Glenn

My website | NANPA Member
  • Options
    samuel wongsamuel wong Registered Users Posts: 22 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    nice work , good timing and compo ...
    :barb My heart , my soul:D i appreaciate every shot i took , eventhought i using digital camera , but i'm think it is a film camera , so i will not waste my shot and have a good skill ......

www.albertwong5162.multiply.com
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    Excellent set Mike! I don't think I could pick a favourite out of this bunch, they are all so good! clap.gif

Thaanks Glen :D
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    nice work , good timing and compo ...

Thanks, appreciated :D
  • Options
    VicksterVickster Registered Users Posts: 49 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Wow ...
    Such enjoyable shots . . . I could just look at them for hours. bowdown.gif

How long do you stay when you go to shoot? Do the monkeys mind that you are there? Can you get in the water with them?
  • Options
    cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Holy National Geographic! Those are some incredible photos.
  • Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Have to agree...these are your best yet. Love the expressions on these handsome monkeys! Question: These are wild monkeys, correct? This not a wildlife park in Nagano.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    Vickster wrote:
    Such enjoyable shots . . . I could just look at them for hours. bowdown.gif

How long do you stay when you go to shoot? Do the monkeys mind that you are there? Can you get in the water with them?

:D Thanks Vickster! Please do look for hours! :D
    This time round we were there a couple of hours, excluding the walk in and out of the place. The monkeys are completely used to people being there, so the will brazenly walk right up to and past you. You could get in there with them, but I think the stinky water is probably littered with monkey poop and whatever else!
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    cmason wrote:
    Holy National Geographic! Those are some incredible photos.

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif I wish it was for National Geofraphic! Thanks for the comments cmason.
  • Options
    edited January 8, 2008
    Maestro wrote:
    Have to agree...these are your best yet. Love the expressions on these handsome monkeys! Question: These are wild monkeys, correct? This not a wildlife park in Nagano.

Thank you Stpehen :D:D They are, indeed, wild monkeys, in the sense that they come and go as they please.

Years ago these springs were used for bathing by the local people in the area (actually, it is quite away from the nearest town, up a small mountain road). But the monkeys decided that they liked the warmth and basically took over the hot springs which the people had built rock pools to capture and use. The town decided it was a good tourist attraction and started feeding the monkeys daily to keep them coming back. Now they come down from the mountains in the morning, and pack up and go home late afternoon. No fences, cages or anything like that (other then fences to keep tourists out of some areas).
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Wow, what a set!!! I enjoyed everyone of them, you captured their personalieites to a T! Love all the expressions and feelings of these funny creatures. Excellent work! bowdown.gifclapclap.gifclap
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited January 8, 2008
    These are amazing.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?