Options

Skagit River eagles

greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
edited January 6, 2008 in Wildlife
Every year I make the trip from my home in Seattle, 2 hours North to the tiny town of Marblemount in hopes of getting some photos of migratory eagles that come to the Skagit River every winter to feed on spawning salmon.

This year fellow dgrinner PaulThomasMcKee joined me and two of my friends. Between Paul, myself and the other Nikon shooter we had 1.3 meters in Nikon glass (300 f2.8 VR, 400 f2.8, and 600 f4). The lone Canon shooter had 400 f2.8 IS.

The four of us drove up and down the road trying to spot and photograph the eagles under poor light in the rain. We would spot a few eagles, pull over, get out our equiptment and off the eagle would fly off. Then every time we would start to put our lenses away several eagles would fly right over us.

No great pictures by me, but a few that I won't delete. I think I still need a lot more practice before I've figured out that 400 f2.8.

240034550-L.jpg
picture highly cropped, taken with 400 f2.8 with 1.4x TC

240037611-L.jpg
so if you're right underneath the eagle a 400 f2.8 will get you pics like this, but this guy is just an youngster, not bald yet.
Andrew
initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange

Comments

• Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Nice shots under poor shooting conditions. A year ago, I went to shoot eagles too and found myself in freezing rain, ferociously cold temperatures, for me at least, and high winds. I didn't get too many either, but seeing eagles is always fun!
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Hey Andrew,

I've had the same experiences with eagles. They can be real tough to shoot normally plus you had some real adverse conditions.

You are going to love teh 400 2.8. I had the chance to shoot with one once and it was the fastest focusing lens I've have ever used. The IQ is great also.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    greenpeagreenpea Registered Users Posts: 880 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Maestro wrote:
    Nice shots under poor shooting conditions. A year ago, I went to shoot eagles too and found myself in freezing rain, ferociously cold temperatures, for me at least, and high winds. I didn't get too many either, but seeing eagles is always fun!

Thanks Stephen. Half of the fun is just making the trip, and hunting the eagles with my camera. I'm just happy if I make it home with a few good shots.
    Harryb wrote:
    Hey Andrew,

I've had the same experiences with eagles. They can be real tough to shoot normally plus you had some real adverse conditions.

You are going to love teh 400 2.8. I had the chance to shoot with one once and it was the fastest focusing lens I've have ever used. The IQ is great also.

Something about shooting eagles under the Florida sun in 70 degree weather as opposed to rain, snow, and 40 degree weather is sounding more appealing to me, but then again you don't have the BIG eagles down there :D

Unfortunatley I only have 400 f2.8 for the weekend, since its a rental (I think last year you told me, not to rent the 400 f2.8 because I wouldn't want to return it...you were right!). But I'll be trying it out again, maybe one day I'll own one.
    Andrew
    initialphotography.smugmug.com

"The camera is an instrument that teaches people how to see without a camera" - Dorothea Lange
  • Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited January 6, 2008
    nice shots.thumb.gif ...I had the same weather luck a few weeks ago trying to shoot them on the mississippi
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave