Options

Unique triggerfish

Ken LeonardKen Leonard Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
edited January 5, 2008 in Wildlife
I have been shooting marine life at the Aquarium of the Pacific (Long Beach, CA) for about 8 years now. The extensive displays change quite often. In the past month the aquarium changed one tank to contain quite a few species of triggerfish. Likely one of the most common and colorful triggerfish is the Picaso triggerfish. The aquarium has had Picaso's for quite some time. Now, the new tank contains one triggerfish I cannot find any info on. Even the sign that accompanies the exhibit does not tell about this very colorful and unique triggerfish.

First of all I want to share my photo of this triggerfish in case one of you know what it is. Secondly this will be the first in a series of marine life shots I will be sharing with you. This photo was shot using a 50mm f1.8 lens mounted on a SD600 speedlight and Gary Fong Lightspere II defuser.

91206111.jpg

Your comments most welcome

Ken Leonard
Belmont Shore, SoCal

Comments

• Options
    dbaker1221dbaker1221 Registered Users Posts: 4,482 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    nice capturethumb.gif
    **If I keep shooting, I'm bound to hit something**
    Dave
  • Options
    MaestroMaestro Registered Users Posts: 5,395 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Very colorful fish. I don't know much about marine life so I look forward to your photos. Welcome.
  • Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Cool fish! I have kept trigger fish in my aquarium for years! What you have there is a Pseudobalistes fuscus more commonly known as a Blueline Trigger. (Original huh?)

Great capture!

Here is my favorite, the Odonus Niger:

4540.jpg
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited January 5, 2008
    Excellent capture under very difficult conditions. clap.gif

Welcome to Dgrin wave.gif
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    "
    Poseidon wrote:
    Cool fish! I have kept trigger fish in my aquarium for years! What you have there is a Pseudobalistes fuscus more commonly known as a Blueline Trigger. (Original huh?)

Great capture!

Here is my favorite, the Odonus Niger:"

Thank you Mike for confirming the name of this fish I got from another poster on another discussion group. You have confirmed what this guy is.

A question about the photo of your favorite. Aren't they commonly called a red tooth triggerfish? If so the Aquarium of the Pacific has many of them and I agree they are quite unique looking. Another question. I am reading that triggerfish can be quite agressive, often eating other smaller fish in the tank. Do you just keep triggerfish in that tank and if so do they try to eat each other?

The Aquarium of the Pacific keeps it's thousands of fish very well fed including the sharks. Only once in 8 years have I seen the remains of another fish. Quite interestingly it was a rather large trevelly which are known to be very aggressive themselves. Must have made a shark mad :-).

One more thing I have seen with triggerfish (The colorful Picaso triggerfish). Apparently the Picaso had some eggs it was tending in the sandy bottom of the Aquarium. I watched this little gal chasing off other much larger fish including even a black tipped reef shark! Quite gutsy these triggerfish :-)

Ken
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    Yup, red toothed trigger is another common name for the O. Niger. I try to use latin names whenever I can because fish only have ONE of those. ;)

As for triggers, in general, yes they are quite aggressive. There are several species that are much less aggressive though, including the O. Niger. A quick way to ID an an aggressive species is by the position of the mouth, triggers like the Picasso, CLown, Blue Line, Queen, all have their mouths on the front or tip of their face. Less aggressive species have their mouths above the point of their face, you can see the difference in the 2 that we have pictured above.

I kept my triggers in reef tanks, with corals and several other species of fish, including tangs (surgeon fish), clowns (nemo), damsels, angels, gobies, blennies, just about anything really. The key is to add the trigger LAST, and to make sure he can't fit any of the tankmates into his mouth. Reefkeeping is a ton of fun, and I have learned a lot, but it sure is EXPENSIVE! Just like PHOTOGRAPHY.... I may have to choose one or the other at some point.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    Poseidon wrote:
    Yup, red toothed trigger is another common name for the O. Niger. I try to use latin names whenever I can because fish only have ONE of those. ;)

I kept my triggers in reef tanks, with corals and several other species of fish, including tangs (surgeon fish), clowns (nemo), damsels, angels, gobies, blennies, just about anything really. The key is to add the trigger LAST, and to make sure he can't fit any of the tankmates into his mouth. Reefkeeping is a ton of fun, and I have learned a lot, but it sure is EXPENSIVE! Just like PHOTOGRAPHY.... I may have to choose one or the other at some point.

I totally understand about expensive. Luckily I found a solution. The Aquarium of the Pacific is only about 10 minutes away from where I live. Since I am a charter member I can go any time I want and I don't have to take care of them :-). Of course I realize everyone does not have a large aquarium close to them. Thanks so much for your very informed replies Mike.

Ken
  • Options
    edited January 5, 2008
    You're Welcome Ken, wlcome to Dgrin!!! This is a great board, very friendly, and the photography is top notch here.

Also, the digital darkroom forum is an AWESOME resource for computer issues. Whether they be Mac, or PC related.
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix