Options

Crabby Photographers

3rdPlanetPhotography3rdPlanetPhotography Banned Posts: 920 Major grins
edited January 25, 2008 in Mind Your Own Business
Wow.... Why are some people just harsh.

Recently I was searching online for some documents to post in my personal online forums. Documents like "What to look for in a photographer" and standard documents like that. You see them all over the web and there are plenty to go around.

I found one from a New York photographer posted on her website. It was very well written and was very general. I though boy that would be nice to post in my forums. So because I respect everyone, I sent the lady an email and complimented her on her well written document and asked for permission to re-post her document and link it with credits back to her and her website. I was very nice and it's just the right thing to do.

Well, I recevied an email from her a few hours later that said, "Permission Denied, do NOT use my document or any of my photos".

I simiply wroter her back and again complimented her on her well written document told her that I was in no way asking to use any of her photos ( I guess she thought I was looking to steal her stuff). I told her that's fine, I can write my own document.

Well this morning I get a very harsh email from the lady's husband. He jumped all over me saying that I offened his wife and such and that he's sending my emails to their attorney and that if they find any of their document on my site they will slam me in court and that if I responed to his email then it was going straight to his attorney. :argue

My goodnes what has crawled up some folks rear end? I know everyone is different by their own right but I just want all you fellow photographers to know that I feel we are all a team so keep up the great work all of you do and I'm always willing to help out a fellow photographer. I don't know how it is in other cities but here in St. Louis I know several of the photographers and though considered "competitors" they/we are all good friends, hang out, and will always help each other out when needed.

And finally, I did send a letter of apology to him and his wife as I never intended to insult or offend anyone. I guess email sometimes gives off the wrong flare.

Comments

• Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    First, I'm sorry that you had that experience. There's all kinds of people out there, and apparently you encountered a couple of nuts. I don't say that they are nuts because they denied you permission, but because of their outlandish reaction.

I think the only thing you did wrong was apologize.

P.S. The only people who threaten to involve their attorneys are people who don't employ attorneys.
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    I really hate to point them out haha... I'm afraid I'll offend them again or even they might be a friend of yours (laugh) and then you'll be offended ne_nau.gif

http://www.bibiphoto.com/
    rolleyes1.gif

Andy wrote:
    For the entire state of New York I apologize for those jerks :uhoh

Let's see the website ear.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    You are exactly right! He told me in the email that I better contact my attorney rolleyes1.gif

Well I really don't need an attorney to tell me I did no wrong by communicating via email. Even if I would have told him what area he could stick it in... still legal.

:)

Tommyboy wrote:
    First, I'm sorry that you had that experience. There's all kinds of people out there, and apparently you encountered a couple of nuts. I don't say that they are nuts because they denied you permission, but because of their outlandish reaction.

I think the only thing you did wrong was apologize.

P.S. The only people who threaten to involve their attorneys are people who don't employ attorneys.
  • Options
    aktpicsaktpics Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    You must be mistaken - according to her website: "She is affordable, friendly and unobtrusive."rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    You are exactly right! He told me in the email that I better contact my attorney rolleyes1.gif

Hahah!
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    Guess I should have been a customer mwink.gif
    aktpics wrote:
    You must be mistaken - according to her website: "She is affordable, friendly and unobtrusive."rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    aktpics wrote:
    You could write a review if you wish

http://www.weddingreportsny.com/servicedetails.cfm?vendorID=1270&action=writeReview
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    Thanks Andy! I surely would never try to steal anything from anyone as I wouldn't want that to happen to me. On that same note I would be happy to offer any documents I have or create to other photographers. In fact I put all my documents in PDF and place them on my website for whoever wants them (www.3rdplanetphotography.com/documents).

Well what can I say. I really shouldn't let it bother me but it did. One side of me wants to be ugly and rude back but the right thing to do is move on thumb.gif

Thanks for the support! I guess this will count for my counseling for today :ivar

Scott

Andy wrote:
    Heh - they're not too far from me, but I don't know them. What can I say, Mean People Suck. Too bad for Bibiana, they go through life thinking that people are out to get them :( You did nothing wrong, Scott. They are just your typical paranoid people, rather rude, too. Brush it off, and know that most folks would never, ever do what they did.
  • Options
    aktpicsaktpics Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Andy wrote:

Too much trouble - I would have to contact my attorney first :)
  • Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Thanks Andy! I surely would never try to steal anything from anyone as I wouldn't want that to happen to me. On that same note I would be happy to offer any documents I have or create to other photographers. In fact I put all my documents in PDF and place them on my website for whoever wants them (www.3rdplanetphotography.com/documents).

Well what can I say. I really shouldn't let it bother me but it did. One side of me wants to be ugly and rude back but the right thing to do is move on thumb.gif

Thanks for the support! I guess this will count for my counseling for today :ivar

Scott

Scott,

Suck it up! Take the high road. Don't sink to some mentally deranged state.

Vent here all you like. Venting is healthy! That's what we are here for.

ps: I took a look at her web site, and I am not impressed.

No real gallery's. In her article she advises to be sure the contract specifies all expectations, yet in her download contract while showing three price packages, provides NO details about those packages.

She also demonstrates something I really have a problem with. To be honest many businesses do the same thing. She / they present themselves as friendly , easy to get along With professionals, yet conduct them selves exactly opposite.

I personally consider this to be fraud. Note: I do understand that legally it probably wouldn't be considered fraud.

I would love to see what kind of letter a lawyer could possibly write with regard to this!

Have a nice glass of wine.

Sam
  • Options
    rdlugoszrdlugosz Registered Users Posts: 277 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Wow - that's really too bad Scott. It always amazes me how weird people are. What's her problem anyway? I feel for her husband for sure... (though it sounds like he's just as clueless and rude).

Anyway, what I really wanted to chime in on is that with a unique name like "Bibiana" I wouldn't be surprised if google searches in the near future point people to this thread where they'll get a taste for what she's really like.

Too bad for her - it pays to be nice to people. Shame on you, Bibiana. Learn to take a compliment!
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    It's shame you had to deal w/ jerks like this. I wanted to add my .02 about these ppl.

Anyone that has a rudimentary knowledge of the web can see where the hits are coming from. So in effect anyone that clicked on the previous link can find out it came from this forum and this thread.

So please don't stoop down to their level and shoot them a nasty-gram. It may come back to haunt you. PPL like this are just looking for a fight so they can score some quick money.
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Never wrassle with a pig. The pig likes it. You just get dirty.
    Wait . . did I just call a mean person a pig?? Oooohh . . . better call my attorney.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    hahahah thanks everyone for putting their 2 cents in. Yea I'm hoping I get a letter from a "attorney" I will spend the rest of the day like --> rolleyes1.gif

I'm sure he got all bent out of shape because I did tell her that I wasn't asking to use any of her photos. Heck I'm a photographer... hahaha I also stated that I'm a people person and that I help everyone especially in the photography community and yes even my local competitors. We all are in the same boat, we all compete to an extent, yet we all speak the same language and cover each other (at least around here). It must be tough to be in the people business and not be a "people person" especially to a fellow photographer who is in NO way any competition to them 1000 miles away.

Oh well.. what comes around goes around for sure. If I was wrong or even appeared to come off offensive in my email then it sure wasn't mean to. I wished them a happy new year and good luck in my last email.

I'll take you up on that wine. I just sat down for the evening. I think I'll pour a glass of wine and enjoy it. I have brial "stuff" to do all weekend so no sleep for me!

Thanks again... and like I've said a few times.... I'll try to post more :)
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    rdlugosz wrote:
    Wow - that's really too bad Scott. It always amazes me how weird people are. What's her problem anyway? I feel for her husband for sure... (though it sounds like he's just as clueless and rude).

Anyway, what I really wanted to chime in on is that with a unique name like "Bibiana" I wouldn't be surprised if google searches in the near future point people to this thread where they'll get a taste for what she's really like.

Too bad for her - it pays to be nice to people. Shame on you, Bibiana. Learn to take a compliment!

Interesting find when you do google "bibiana"

http://www.fhmonline.com/girls_girls_of_fhm_article.asp?idx_id=2913
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    hahahah indeed

Zanotti wrote:
    Interesting find when you do google "bibiana"

http://www.fhmonline.com/girls_girls_of_fhm_article.asp?idx_id=2913
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    You might want to take a look at this!!!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    bkatzbkatz Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    DavidTO wrote:
    Now that's funny - one of the 2 cribbed from the otherrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    ShepsMomShepsMom Registered Users Posts: 4,319 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Well, you should have told her you were looking for a wedding photographer, and now that you got to know her better, you'll make sure no one else will rolleyes1.gif
    Marina
    www.intruecolors.com
    Nikon D700 x2/D300
    Nikon 70-200 2.8/50 1.8/85 1.8/14.24 2.8
  • Options
    IcebearIcebear Registered Users Posts: 4,015 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Bibiana Photography
    Just making sure there's something for Google to find.
    John :
    Natural selection is responsible for every living thing that exists.
    D3s, D500, D5300, and way more glass than the wife knows about.
  • Options
    RogersDARogersDA Registered Users Posts: 3,502 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    Icebear wrote:
    Just making sure there's something for Google to find.
    lol3.gif
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,913 moderator
    edited January 4, 2008

Ha ha. Maybe you should naughty.gif
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    RogersDA wrote:
    Earliest archived entries from the Internet Archive:

Elegala: September 2006

Bibi: August 2001
    Neat find thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited January 4, 2008
    Baahahahah :)

I sure with I was a S.O.B sometimes....
    DavidTO wrote:
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    Note to self: don't tick off the dgrin community. :D

This is definitely a story of how NOT to behave.
  • Options
    zackerzacker Registered Users Posts: 451 Major grins
    edited January 7, 2008
    wow, can you imagine having to work with her and the threatening hubby? i'd never hire someone like that.. Sheesh!
    http://www.brokenfencephotography.com :D

www.theanimalhaven.com :thumb

Visit us at: www.northeastfoto.com a forum for northeastern USA Photogs to meet. :wink

Canon 30D, some lenses and stuff... I think im tired or something, i have a hard time concentrating.. hey look, a birdie!:clap
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Wedding photographers can be jerks even after you hire them. Here is a link to a (now semi-defunct) blog story I wrote a while back, "When Wedding Photographers Attack"

http://jerseystoop.blogspot.com/2006/07/when-wedding-photographers-attack.html
    Cave ab homine unius libri
  • Options
    banbrobanbro Registered Users Posts: 18 Big grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    Wow... that was quick, looks like the elegala hiring.html has been yanked. Maybe this is why Bibi and hubby were so abbrasive... my guess would be that her document may have been infringed on more than once.

Regardless I agree her actions were uncalled for and she should go back and read her point #6 again and understand that it applies in everyday situations as well.
    Brock

Nikon D200 / various glass
  • Options
    JusticeiroJusticeiro Registered Users Posts: 1,177 Major grins
    edited January 8, 2008
    banbro wrote:
    Wow... that was quick, looks like the elegala hiring.html has been yanked. Maybe this is why Bibi and hubby were so abbrasive... my guess would be that her document may have been infringed on more than once.

Regardless I agree her actions were uncalled for and she should go back and read her point #6 again and understand that it applies in everyday situations as well.

I can't believe someone would offer attribution and links to your website, and you would be "offended." Isn't that the internet model of marketing, in a nutshell?
    Cave ab homine unius libri