Options

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX DG

sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
edited January 2, 2008 in Cameras
For the past few years I've avoided non-canon lenses. I own and have used lots of L lenses and have gotten used to their quality in both build, usability, and image quality. I've heard great reviews from many people regarding these Sigma lenses... especially their 24-70/2.8. I figured I'd give it a shot and save 800 bucks over the Canon 24-70/2.8L.

So the lens came in late last week. My sister got married over the weekend, so I wanted to try this lens out at her wedding. I wasn't the pro, but I usually take photos of family. Anyways, I opened the box and there was the usual Sigma packaging (I have used a sigma 30/1.4). Thats all great and on par with "L"... hood and bag included. The lens is roughly the same size and weight as the Canon version. The lens hood is much smaller and attaches to the end of the lens, so at 70mm there is very little coverage. This was one downside of the lens design that I was willing to overlook for the massive price break. The focus motor is very loud compared to the L, but again for $800 less thats fine. When you pull the focus ring back to "M" and AF, the entire ring moved which was odd. If you are holding the focus ring at all when you press the shutter down it can twist camera around on your left hand and puts noticable strain on the focus motor. IDK... wierd design again, but if you shoot all AF then i'd be willing to overlook that for $800 off. Image quality was acceptable while shooting. At f/2.8 its a little soft which is ok for a $400 lens. So up until this point the lens looked like a keeper.

Here's the kicker.

At least with my copy, the zoom ring was VERY VERY VERY tight. I'm talking almost unusable. The lens extends when going from 70mm down to 24mm. The way the lens is designed, the majority of the extension occurs in the last 10mm or so between 35mm to 24mm. So as you tried to turn the zoom ring down from 70mm over to 24mm it got exponentially harder as the rate of extension increased. If you were physically able to extend the lens to 24mm, it seemed to lock there so you could not get it back. Also, the place where you were holding the room ring seemed to make a difference with the tension. If you were shooting landscape at 24mm I was able to pop zoom ring back in to zoom. If I was shooting portrait it was physically impossible to zoom the lens. This did get marginally better as I used the lens over the weekend, but it always seemed to lock at 24mm. The Canon L lens is like butter in comparison.

Now I realize this is a QC problem, but it really really irks me that such a simple problem like this was overlooked!!! There has to be someone somewhere in the manufacturing process that tests that the lens can smoothly extend from 70 out to 24mm. It really put me off that they let something like this out the door. I've been a loyal Canon lens brand user for years now, and I think i'll stick with it. Other people may have had better luck getting a sigma product, but I don't even want to spend money with a company that ships lenses without even checking to see if they are even CLOSE to being usable. :pissed Mine is getting returned today and it'll probably be the last Sigma product I ever try out.

Comments

• Options
    BikePilotBikePilot Registered Users Posts: 99 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    That weird. It doesn't have a focal length lock to keep it from creepign while being carried with the lens point down or something does it? If it does, perhaps its stuck on or something.
    Josh

Sony DSC-S85 (point and shoot)
    Panasonic LX1
    Olympus 770SW

In the market for a dslr
  • Options
    Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    That sigma lens has a two step process to go from AF to MF.
    You have to pull the MF ring back and then flick the small AF/MF button in the traditional location by the end of the lens barrell. The user manual will give you a description of the process with pictures as well.

Sigma tends to have very tight zoom and focus rings when new. They have to be broken in. Once you use it for a couple of long sessions, it should be fine.

Optically, the lens is comparable to the Canon version IMO. You have to decide if the build quality/feature difference between the Sigma and the Canon version is worth the price differnce. It's a personal choice with no right or wrong answers.
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2008
    Tee Why wrote:
    That sigma lens has a two step process to go from AF to MF. You have to pull the MF ring back and then flick the small AF/MF button in the traditional location by the end of the lens barrell. The user manual will give you a description of the process with pictures as well.
    Right, but if you accidentally pulled the ring back to M it'll no nuts when you hit the shutter. Just a funky design. Also, if you pull it back to M but it doesn't fully engage, when you hit the shutter you get this awful CLUNK sound.
    Tee Why wrote:
    Sigma tends to have very tight zoom and focus rings when new. They have to be broken in. Once you use it for a couple of long sessions, it should be fine.
    Tight isnt the word I would use to describe it. My first thought was "broke". After fighting with the lens through 3 solid day trips around Boston and a wedding I'd still consider it broke. Lenses are not supposed to get better with age rolleyes1.gif
    Tee Why wrote:
    Optically, the lens is comparable to the Canon version IMO.
    Agreed...
    Tee Why wrote:
    You have to decide if the build quality/feature difference between the Sigma and the Canon version is worth the price differnce. It's a personal choice with no right or wrong answers.
    If the zoom wasnt broken I'd probably keep it. At $400 if it worked, it would have great value with just a few quirks to remember. If I have to fight the lens its worthless.
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,887 moderator
    edited January 2, 2008
    sirsloop wrote:
    ... If the zoom wasnt broken I'd probably keep it. At $400 if it worked, it would have great value with just a few quirks to remember. If I have to fight the lens its worthless.

Why not just use the return/exchange privilege of your supplier to supply a different copy of the lens? ne_nau.gif
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    edited January 2, 2008
    ziggy53 wrote:
    Why not just use the return/exchange privilege of your supplier to supply a different copy of the lens? ne_nau.gif

I guess I'm kinda ticked cause something so blatenly obvious was wrong with the lens. If they are willing to let something like this out the door, who knows what else is wrong with the thing. I could understand if the lens was a soft or something not so obvious, but if they can't even get the zoom to function I don't want their junk. Do they expect me to waste my time and pay for return shipping 10 times while I try to get a good copy? I'm a firm believer in quality products and service and supporting companies that offer them. A good reason why I give 15% of my profits to Smugmug. :D

Not all that big of a deal, but that 30/1.4 had a squeaky AF ring. It was just a little annoying... but WTF... never had a squeaky Canon lens, L or not.