Options

Canon 40D book recommendations?

blalorblalor Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited March 14, 2009 in Cameras
Good evening, all. I picked up a new 40D (and 17-55 IS) :barb last week and now I'm trying to figure out how to use it. :) I've had a 350D for about two years, so I'm not a complete novice, but there are a bunch of things (various noise reduction options, for example) which the manual tells you how to enable but doesn't say squat about what they actually do. The Magic Lantern guides seem like a pretty good bet, but the one for the 40D's not out 'til March. There are several others that turn up on Amazon, but without a recommendation for a "sure thing", I thought I'd ask around here first. :scratch

Suggestions?

Comments

• Options
    TeamSpeedTeamSpeed Registered Users Posts: 261 Major grins
    edited December 28, 2007
    The Digital Field Guide is a good read, not too dry, and teaches you the camera along with great picture samples. Should be around $13 usd on Amazon.
    7D, 70-200L IS, 17-55 IS 2.8, 150 2.8 macro, 12-24, 100-400L, 85 1.8, 50 1.4
  • Options
    salazarsalazar Registered Users Posts: 392 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    While it isn't a book and is only 44 pages long, Canon's White Paper on the 40D does go into some detail on the new features and does help to explain them a bit more. EOS 40D White Paper. (2.8 MB PDF) thumb.gif
    Please feel free to retouch and repost my images. Critique, Suggestions, and Technique tips always welcomed. Thanks for your interest.
  • Options
    edited December 30, 2007
    salazar wrote:
    While it isn't a book and is only 44 pages long, Canon's White Paper on the 40D does go into some detail on the new features and does help to explain them a bit more. EOS 40D White Paper. (2.8 MB PDF) thumb.gif
    Thanks for that, salazar. I grabbed that months ago and forgot about it!
  • Options
    TommyboyTommyboy Registered Users Posts: 590 Major grins
    edited December 30, 2007
    salazar wrote:

I've never seen it before. Thanks a bunch!
    "Press the shutter when you are sure of success." —Kim Jong-il

NEW Smugmug Site
  • Options
    RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    I have the Magic Lantern book on pre-order, and received A Short Course in Canon EOS 40D Photography book/ebook by Dennis Curtin for Christmas.

Since Christmas I've read A Short Course in Canon EOS 40D Photography book/ebook by Dennis Curtin, and probably wouldn't recommend it. I say 'probably' because it does have it's good points, if you're looking for information on general photography.

I specifically wanted a 40D book for more information on the features relevant to the 40D, and would have preferred the non-40D information be kept separate. Overall the book isn't well organized, and the blending of technical information, and how it pertains to the 40D isn't seamless. It's a pain to wade through all the general photography information in order to find that one thing you wanted to know about the 40D, and there are times when the 40D information is quite sparse. This is kind of nit picky but, I also feel for $36 this book could have been in color, which would have been beneficial to the examples at times. Anyhow I've found the Magic Lantern books to be quite useful, especially if you're like me, and really just want the nitty gritty on camera features.

Just my opinion... your mileage may vary :D .
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    I have "Canon EOS 40D Digital Field Guide" by Charlotte K. Lowrie on pre-order but it does not come out until April!

I have been considering ordering "Canon EOS 40D Guide to Digital Photography" by David D. Busch
  • Options
    nikkiraenikkirae Registered Users Posts: 37 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    Need alittle help!
    Hi all!rolleyes1.gif
    I'm in the market for a nice camera, and thought that this place would be the perfect place to find out what camera or cameras are the best for my budget. Now my budget is $900.00 - $1,200.00.

I was interested in the Cannon 40D, but wanted to get some feedback on the camera itself from someone who has actually used it!
    :help

Any info is helpful info!!ear.gif
  • Options
    sesshinsesshin Registered Users Posts: 16 Big grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    I don't think you could go wrong with one.
  • Options
    PineapplePhotoPineapplePhoto Registered Users Posts: 474 Major grins
    edited January 2, 2008
    how about the user manual that came with the camera? mwink.gif
    Body: Canon 1D Mark II N | Canon 30D w/BG-E2 Flash: Canon 580EX II | Quantum T4d | Strobes & Monolights
    Glass: Sigma 70-200 f2.8 | Sigma 20 f1.8 | Canon 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    how about the user manual that came with the camera? mwink.gif
    "Custom function X turns on long exposure noise reduction."
    "Custom function Y turns on high iso noise reduction."

Gee, that's great. But how do they *work*? When should I use them in practice? ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    I specifically wanted a 40D book for more information on the features relevant to the 40D, and would have preferred the non-40D information be kept separate.
    That's exactly what I'm looking for. I checked out Canon EOS 40D Guide to Digital Photography at Barnes & Noble the other day, but I'd say less than half the info in there is specific to the 40D. I've already got a stack of digital photography and/or SLR books.
  • Options
    RockportersRockporters Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited January 3, 2008
    blalor wrote:
    That's exactly what I'm looking for. I checked out Canon EOS 40D Guide to Digital Photography at Barnes & Noble the other day, but I'd say less than half the info in there is specific to the 40D. I've already got a stack of digital photography and/or SLR books.

Many book are like that, it seems, when published quickly after a product release. Mostly filler, and just tidbits of information about the actual product.

I had the Magic Lantern 20D book, it was well organized, and the information was all very specific to the camera. Kind of like what the owner's manual should be rolleyes1.gif ! It's also a nice size, making it easy to carry in the camera bag.

Good luck with your search!
    Beth

Nikon D300
    Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8
    Nikon 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6
    Nikon 50mm f/1.8D

[SIZE=-3]Mary Beth Glasmann Photography[/SIZE]
  • Options
    edited January 3, 2008
    I had the Magic Lantern 20D book, it was well organized, and the information was all very specific to the camera. Kind of like what the owner's manual should be rolleyes1.gif ! It's also a nice size, making it easy to carry in the camera bag.
    Looks like I'm gonna be waiting another few months, then. rolleyes1.gif Oh, well.
  • Options
    mrcoonsmrcoons Registered Users Posts: 653 Major grins
    edited January 4, 2008
    blalor wrote:

That's good to know, as I agree with you on not needing this sort of book. Guess I'll just wait for Ms. Lowrie's book to be published. (Her book on the XTi was excellent, just well written easy to understand camera information.)
  • Options
    nayan143nayan143 Registered Users Posts: 1 Beginner grinner
    edited March 14, 2009
    nikkirae wrote:
    Hi all!rolleyes1.gif
    I'm in the market for a nice camera, and thought that this place would be the perfect place to find out what camera or cameras are the best for my budget. Now my budget is $900.00 - $1,200.00.

I was interested in the Cannon 40D, but wanted to get some feedback on the camera itself from someone who has actually used it!
    :help

Any info is helpful info!!ear.gif

I have used it and it is great camera. You will get everything in this camera. Now a days Canon 50D also in the market but same processor they used for 50D with high resolution. Little noise (not sound) compare to 40D. Cost also good for 40D now. But buy a lens 18-200 which is new lens came with 50D model. It can cover wide to resonable zoom.

N Patel
  • Options
    ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 23,809 moderator
    edited March 14, 2009
    nayan143 wrote:
    I have used it and it is great camera. You will get everything in this camera. Now a days Canon 50D also in the market but same processor they used for 50D with high resolution. Little noise (not sound) compare to 40D. Cost also good for 40D now. But buy a lens 18-200 which is new lens came with 50D model. It can cover wide to resonable zoom.

N Patel

Nayan143, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for the comments.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Options
    rainbowrainbow Registered Users Posts: 2,765 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2009
    blalor wrote:
    Good evening, all. I picked up a new 40D (and 17-55 IS) wings.gif last week and now I'm trying to figure out how to use it. :) I've had a 350D for about two years, so I'm not a complete novice, but there are a bunch of things (various noise reduction options, for example) which the manual tells you how to enable but doesn't say squat about what they actually do. The Magic Lantern guides seem like a pretty good bet, but the one for the 40D's not out 'til March. There are several others that turn up on Amazon, but without a recommendation for a "sure thing", I thought I'd ask around here first. headscratch.gif

Suggestions?

"Canon EOS 40D, Guide to Digital SLR Photography" by David Busch is quite useful.

Chapters include:
    1. Shooting your First 40D Picture - Basic settings
    2. 40D Roadmap - Buttons, Dials, Controls
    3. Setting up your 40D - Menu settings, customizing
    4. Getting the Right Exposure - Metering modes, ISO, Exposure compensation, histograms
    5. Advanced Shooting with the 40D - Autofocus modes, White balance, picture styles
    6. Working with Lenses
    7. Working with Light - Flash basics
    8. Downloading and Editing
    9. Troubleshooting and Prevention

I first selected this due to recommendations in Canon Forums when I first purchased the 40D.

Dave