Options

i sold my 1Ds Mark II

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 22, 2005 in Cameras
(thanks dgrin flea market!) a dgrinner bought it, to be named later, unless he outs himself first :lol3

why?

yes, it's a great camera. i'm really glad i got the chance to use it for the past three months. the image quality, the resolution, the detail is amazing. the full-frame, the viewfinder, the look/fell everything about it is top-shelf.

it's just not ideal for the majority of my shooting, which is situational in nature. street work, in particular. yes, i love doing landscapes, and the Mark II is without peer in this regard - but - the 20d is no slouch either, and i have carefully reviewed my 20d shots and 1Ds Mark II shots, and at large size, 13"x19", the 20d is an outstanding performer.

bottomline - for my personal purposes, the 20d is better suited.

i highly recommend the 1Ds Mark II, and I stand by each and every observation i've made here in this forum on the camera.

Comments

• Options
    NirNir Registered Users Posts: 1,400 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Next thing you're going to tell us is you ordered a Nikon ... rolleyes1.gif

Andy, do miss the 828?

Nir Alon

images of my thoughts
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Nir wrote:
    Next thing you're going to tell us is you ordered a Nikon ... rolleyes1.gif

Andy, do miss the 828?

hmm

828? tasty camera lol3.gif
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    (thanks dgrin flea market!) a dgrinner bought it, to be named later, unless he outs himself first lol3.gif

why?

yes, it's a great camera. i'm really glad i got the chance to use it for the past three months. the image quality, the resolution, the detail is amazing. the full-frame, the viewfinder, the look/fell everything about it is top-shelf.

it's just not ideal for the majority of my shooting, which is situational in nature. street work, in particular. yes, i love doing landscapes, and the Mark II is without peer in this regard - but - the 20d is no slouch either, and i have carefully reviewed my 20d shots and 1Ds Mark II shots, and at large size, 13"x19", the 20d is an outstanding performer.

bottomline - for my personal purposes, the 20d is better suited.

i highly recommend the 1Ds Mark II, and I stand by each and every observation i've made here in this forum on the camera.

Andy, wasn't the whole impetus for buying the dual G5 so that you could handle the large files from the 1ds mkii? Funny. You'll still be well served with the 20D and G5 combo...but I couldn't help but see the irony. And didn't you own the 20D for a month? Hard to keep up with you...
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:
    Andy, wasn't the whole impetus for buying the dual G5 so that you could handle the large files from the 1ds mkii? Funny. You'll still be well served with the 20D and G5 combo...but I couldn't help but see the irony. And didn't you own the 20D for a month? Hard to keep up with you...

i just want to give you guys somethin' to talk about!
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    ...and don't even think about trading in your G5 for some windoze machine...
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    DavidTO wrote:

I am lost too. I forgot that your sold the 20D. So now that you bought the Contax lenses are you keeping those to use with the 20D or not? headscratch.gif
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    I am lost too. I forgot that your sold the 20D. So now that you bought the Contax lenses are you keeping those to use with the 20D or not? headscratch.gif

possibly. i put the 18mm up for sale. i don't have the 21mm yet.. it's in transit :D
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    "windoze" - hey! I resemble that remark!!!!Pissed.gif
    DavidTO wrote:
    ...and don't even think about trading in your G5 for some windoze machine...
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    possibly. i put the 18mm up for sale. i don't have the 21mm yet.. it's in transit :D

hmmm...

made a trip to Tiffany's lately?
    Moderator Emeritus
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    andy wrote:

which one is the 2.8? why not keeps the 18 w/ the 20D (I suppose my first question might answer this one)? keep us up to date, can you post your equipment list from the last year, it is starting to make me dizzy. Are you going to get new wide lenses with the 20D?
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    Woo Hoo! Now he can use a 10-22 :D
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    OK, I just lost the plot. I mean, I get it, but I don't get it. The size/weight thing was a known quantity, wasn't it?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    OK, I just lost the plot. I mean, I get it, but I don't get it. The size/weight thing was a known quantity, wasn't it?

yep. and i stuck it out for a long time. i could get over it, but the 20d is just so darn good!

i just ordered the following, i'll have 'em wednesday:

20d body
    10-22 ef-s (re-purchasing this lens)
    24 f/1.4L
    canon 1.4x teleconverter (re-purchasing)
  • Options
    windozewindoze Registered Users Posts: 2,830 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    sweet! now that you got the 10-22 ( same as me ) can I hang with you to see how to best use it????

andy wrote:
    yep. and i stuck it out for a long time. i could get over it, but the 20d is just so darn good!

i just ordered the following, i'll have 'em wednesday:

20d body
    10-22 ef-s (re-purchasing this lens)
    24 f/1.4L
    canon 1.4x teleconverter (re-purchasing)
  • Options
    larklark Registered Users Posts: 155 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    I just sent a note re: distagon 18mm/21mm lenses

are they compatable with 20D?
    Are you going to keep both of them?
    the 20D takes such great pictures in it's own rite..another amazing camera.

I'm moving into a 24" printer and mostly larger prints... so the zeiss glass interests me a lot.

Thanks
    Den
    den.smugmug.com
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    windoze wrote:
    sweet! now that you got the 10-22 ( same as me ) can I hang with you to see how to best use it????

only if you teach me how you talk to the gorillas deal.gif
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    fish wrote:
    Woo Hoo! Now he can use a 10-22 :D

nod.gif a damn fine lens, as you've proven already fishy!
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    My gosh, I take a little nap and the world changes.

Good choice Andy, IMO. The right stuff for your needs, that comes first.
    Not the latest stuff, or the biggest, the right stuff.

And my birds, gotta get my birds. Shakey, send em back!

g
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    My gosh, I take a little nap and the world changes.

Good choice Andy, IMO. The right stuff for your needs, that comes first.
    Not the latest stuff, or the biggest, the right stuff.

And my birds, gotta get my birds. Shakey, send em back!

g

yup, ginger - how many times have we all said, "it's not the camera..."

heck, have you seen the bird shots harry gets with a nikon? lol3.gif

hope your birds come back deal.gif
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    Andy, what is your bag situation now? I carried my stuff almost piecemeal from the car to the house last night. I have to have a bigger more comfortable bag.

Are you keeping the farmer or going back to the other one, the one I was going to buy? I do not have a laptop. But I could use the space and the comfort anyway. I cannot carry my stuff individually out in the field. With my bag I have it worked out so that if I put the 300L on the camera, don't put those in the bag, I can get most other stuff in my current bag. That is not optimal.

Are you selling a bag? If so why?
    If not, why not?

ginger
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Andy, what is your bag situation now? I carried my stuff almost piecemeal from the car to the house last night. I have to have a bigger more comfortable bag.

Are you keeping the farmer or going back to the other one, the one I was going to buy? I do not have a laptop. But I could use the space and the comfort anyway. I cannot carry my stuff individually out in the field. With my bag I have it worked out so that if I put the 300L on the camera, don't put those in the bag, I can get most other stuff in my current bag. That is not optimal.

Are you selling a bag? If so why?
    If not, why not?

ginger

ah good question ginger dear.

i may go back to the shrinkle, let me get to b&h this week, prolly tuesday. odds are that i'll be selling the farmer's double if the shrinkle fits my 15" powerbook....

can you hang on for a few days?
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    ah good question ginger dear.

i may go back to the shrinkle, let me get to b&h this week, prolly tuesday. odds are that i'll be selling the farmer's double if the shrinkle fits my 15" powerbook....

can you hang on for a few days?
    Yes. Is the farmer's double as comfortable?

ginger
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    Yes. Is the farmer's double as comfortable?

ginger

very.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    very.
    good, PM me when you know, please,

ginger
  • Options
    John MuellerJohn Mueller Registered Users Posts: 2,555 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    I dont blame ya Andy.Im in sort of in the same boat.
    My 1D M2 is one heck of a cam,fast,dead on and built like a tank.It didnt give me the reach Im looking for and was a tad on the soft side..I bought another 20D and I see a big difference.
    So,I think,should I sell the 1D M2?ne_nau.gif
    I have another trip planned for WV in a couple months and I want to give it a go for the wide.Guess Ill make up my mind after that.
    On another note,my new 20D's view screen is filthy.Was like that out of the box.rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 13, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    It didnt give me the reach Im looking for and was a tad on the soft side..I bought another 20D and I see a big difference.
    Reach? ne_nau.gif

wrt soft, the 1DmkII images are made with the expectation that the shooter will sharpen them in PS or equivalent.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    I understand that,but it takes less work with the 20D
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    I understand that,but it takes less work with the 20D

won't be a difference for me as i shoot only in raw ... fwiw you can tweak the parms in the 1d2 to equal what you get from 20d also.
  • Options
    edited March 13, 2005
    andy wrote:
    won't be a difference for me as i shoot only in raw ... fwiw you can tweak the parms in the 1d2 to equal what you get from 20d also.
    Hmmmm,sumtins not right.I have been shooting only raw since the Drebel days.I find the 20D a lot sharper before any postne_nau.gif
    Shot over 11,000 raw files with the 1D M2 and I have worked my butt off to sharpen the files.3 different raw convertors and several sharpening methods.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited March 13, 2005
    MHJS wrote:
    Hmmmm,sumtins not right.I have been shooting only raw since the Drebel days.I find the 20D a lot sharper before any postne_nau.gif
    Shot over 11,000 raw files with the 1D M2 and I have worked my butt off to sharpen the files.3 different raw convertors and several sharpening methods.

Sumthins not right indeed. The 20D is a great camera - but it is not the camera the 1DMkll is. 1DMkll files do need sharpening, but not much more than the 20Ds if the parameters are set right.

I shoot them both interchangeably - using the 1DMkll for when I need better focusing, better low light shots, etc Like Andy says - the 20D is a lot easier to carry all day on your shoulder.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin