Options

Applications moving online

bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
edited December 25, 2007 in The Big Picture
What is your opinion?

Will it cost or will there be advertising, or worse both.

Will in not be available to install on your computer?

How will it be affected by your ability to connect at a high speed. (ie will some apps require a high speed connection to use it.)

Could a company handle ten thousand user online at the same time all performing a very CPU intensive command?

Will files created by the program be stored in a compatable format that could be open by other programs. (company may go under, no more application, can't open file?)

Will companies limit the computing speed available to the user to increase their time on their site to increase exposure to advertising?

I haven't seen or tried any online apps, but have been hearing about some coming about. Right now I am skeptical of them.
"A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me

Comments

• Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 23, 2007
  • Options
    ivarivar Registered Users Posts: 8,395 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    Angelo wrote:
    headscratch.gif
    Are you thinking 'job applications', Angelo? I was lol3.gif

I haven't noticed applications 'moving' online, personally.
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    Well, there's Google Docs. I've used it, and it is useful for collaborative editing, but otherwise is limited, slow, and frustrating.
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    photocatphotocat Registered Users Posts: 1,334 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    I don't understand your question... Another blank blond moment. Guess if I don't understand the question, it will not be for me to use it at all.
    Hope you find some answers...
  • Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited December 23, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    Well, there's Google Docs. I've used it, and it is useful for collaborative editing, but otherwise is limited, slow, and frustrating.
    15524779-Ti.gif

Adobe also has plans to create a tamed down version of Photoshop etc.. for web based use. I don't think it will affect the realm of photogs for the most part. We usually hammer through GB's of images. Even if Lightroom 7.5 came out next week and it was available only online. I'd say thanks, but no thanks. I like my machine doing the work. That's why I built a banshee.

Is this what your talking about?headscratch.gif
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited December 24, 2007
    I have absolutely no idea what this is about!
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2007
    Take a number Angelo.
    Looks like your #7
  • Options
    ChatKatChatKat Registered Users Posts: 1,357 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    Online versions of software
    A lot of software applications (programs!) are going web based. For example, QuickBooks has an online version. Adobe is going to come out with a PS edition on line too.

You remotely go on the web and use the software by subscription instead of loading it on your harddrive - you would access it on the host's server.

Pay as you go plan. Pay $xxx per month instead of buying it and then having to buy upgrades all the time.

But beware - you are at the mercy of the host. If your internet is down you can't use it; If they want to change a feature, you can be stuck. And if they crash, you might lose your data!
    Kathy Rappaport
    Flash Frozen Photography, Inc.
    http://flashfrozenphotography.com
  • Options
    edited December 24, 2007
    Not to mention your limited by bandwidth.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited December 24, 2007
    Too many things make hosted applications impractical. The least of which is
    the resource required to run things (application size, network speed and so
    on). Another problem I foresee is how hosted applications will deal with
    the issue of copyright or intellectual property rights (for example; Google
    searches your e-mail to present targeted ads--how will they handle a user
    creating a business plan or photographer editing photos?).

More than likely, the most practical way will be to install the application
    locally and then contact a license server to check out a license prior to
    running. Something like a charge-back or pre-paid usage.

Dunno. But there are a lot of opportunities for application developers before
    this will work as advertised.
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited December 24, 2007
    SloYerRoll wrote:
    15524779-Ti.gif

Adobe also has plans to create a tamed down version of Photoshop etc.. for web based use. I don't think it will affect the realm of photogs for the most part. We usually hammer through GB's of images. Even if Lightroom 7.5 came out next week and it was available only online. I'd say thanks, but no thanks. I like my machine doing the work. That's why I built a banshee.

Is this what your talking about?headscratch.gif

This is somewhat what I was talking about. I clicked on a link recently that was here on dgrin and it took me to a old video of smugmug's CEO on ZDNet.com. Then after watching that I clicked on a couple other videos and then watched this one from Adobe

http://news.zdnet.com/2422-13568_22-168125.html

Which then got me thinking about where that could lead us in the future and to ask these questions, I will relist from my original post.

Will it cost or will there be advertising, or worse both.

Will in NOT be available to install on your computer? (Only online)

How will it be affected by your ability to connect at a high speed. (ie will some apps require a high speed connection to use it.)

Could a company handle ten thousand (or more) user online at the same time all performing a very CPU intensive command?

Will files created by the program be stored in a compatable format that could be open by other programs. (company may go under, no more application, can't open file?) Could you store them on your computer or will they only be stored on the companies site?

Will companies limit the computing speed available to the user to increase an individuals time on their site to increase exposure to advertising?
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2007
    I figure there will be a split. Some apps are well-suited for moving to that (e.g., Google earth), while others are supremely unsuited for being web-based (e.g., Photoshop, any RAW converter, CAD apps). There are some where people will naturally feel uncomfortable with the less-secure data transmission (e..g, financial apps). So, a mix based on suitability for use with the technology. I'll sit back a bit & let you bleeding-edge guinea pigs suss out the bugs before jumping in. mwink.gif
  • Options
    leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited December 25, 2007
    I do my payroll on line with Costco...their software, my input, plus a small fee. It works fine.
    Growing with Dgrin