• Gear
  • Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support Legacy SmugMug Customization New! SmugMug Style - Stretchy Questions and Help

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 1  of  21
1 2 3 4 5 11 Last »
Old Nov-28-2007, 05:15 PM
Andy is offline Andy OP
4/3s of a photographer
New! SmugMug Style - Stretchy Questions and Help
Here is the place to discuss the newest upgrade to SmugMug style "stretchy" and how your galleries can now go big and wiiiide

Want to play? Go here and simply resize your browser window. FAQs? You bet, right here. And reproduced just below.
Old Nov-30-2007, 11:07 AM
Andy is offline Andy OP
4/3s of a photographer
Q: Does it work in all viewing styles?
A: Only "smugmug" viewing style stretches, currently.

Q: I have a small monitor, can I see what it looks like?
A: You bet - right here and arrow forward to see bigger and bigger monitors/resolutions.

Q: Do themes stretch?
A: Most do, some don't... yet. Themes that don't stretch will appear just as they always have.

Themes that stretch: Blue, Fuchsia, Gold, Green, Khaki, Orange, Red, Tan, Teal, White, Yellow, Black Arts, Black and White, Fresh Air, Hitched, It's A Girl!, The Graduate, Bewitched, Gradient Grey, Gradient White, SmugMug Classic, SmugMug Dashed, SmugMug Gradient, and Blue Lagoon.

Q: Why do only some of my galleries stretch?
A: Check to see if you have a non-stretchy theme set for that gallery.

Q: What if I don't want my visitors to see my photos bigger?
A: No worries, we still honor the "largest display size" selected in your customize gallery settings. We'll only show the display sizes you allow.

Tip: If you are a Pro on SmugMug, let your visitors admire larger display sizes, and protect your photos with a custom watermark. Great example.

Q: Will the thumbnails get bigger as the page stretches?
A: No, you'll get more thumbnails on the page but each thumbnail will stay the same size.

Q: I'm a power or pro user with customization. Will this affect me?
A: If you have any customization in your CSS box, your site has stayed the same. If you want to turn stretchy on, look for the "yes/no" toggle on your customization page (control panel -> customize tab):

In most cases, your site will stretch beautifully. You may need to make some code or art changes for things to stretch properly, or it could be as simple as choosing a different theme. Don't worry, we'll help - ask your question right here in this thread.

If you have nothing in your CSS box (even if you have something in your header or footer box), your site will stretch by default.

If you've customized with a theme, and that theme stretches, great! If you chose a theme that does not stretch, you can choose a new default theme in your control panel and modify your customization for that theme. We'll help, if you need it.

Q: Can I force the number of thumbs that display?
A: No. When your gallery stretches, we automatically fill the browser window with thumbnails.

Q: I'm a power or pro, can I opt-out of stretchy?
A: Sure. If you'd rather your visitors not see more thumbnails on the page, for whatever reason, just go to your customization page and toggle the stretchy option to "no".

Q: Can I still force "smugmug small" viewing style?
A: If you are a power or pro user, you can still force "smugmug small" viewing style in your customize gallery settings
Old Nov-30-2007, 11:30 AM
flyingdutchie is offline flyingdutchie
Happy Snapper
Change has strange side-effect on my site in IE7
Go to this link using IE7:
http://www.streetsofboston.com/gallery/994065

If the Smugmug style is set (it should be default), then you'll see that the main-picture is shifted somewhat to the bottom of the page (and a little to the right), overlapping and covering the caption. When you mouse-over or change the page/picture, the picture snaps back into its correct position.

Can this be fixed?
Thanks.

PS. It works all fine in FireFox, no problems there.

When I hear the earth will melt into the sun,
in two billion years,
all I can think is:
    "Will that be on a Monday?"
==========================
http://www.streetsofboston.com
http://blog.antonspaans.com
Old Nov-30-2007, 11:32 AM
jfriend is offline jfriend
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Q: Does it work in all viewing styles?
A: Only "smugmug" viewing style stretches, currently.
Wicked cool! I've been waiting for this! I've enabled it on both my accounts and it massively enhances the viewing experience. I haven't yet seen it on my 30" monitor at home (I'm traveling on a laptop), but even on my laptop it's an improvement. Way to go!

One slight confusion for me when reading the info above. You go to the control panel, to the customize tab, THEN click on the customize link in that page and you will find the option to enable the feature if you have custom CSS. So it's control panel/customize tab/customize link/stretchy=yes.
Always include a link to your site when posting a question
Old Nov-30-2007, 11:43 AM
Andy is offline Andy OP
4/3s of a photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchie
Can this be fixed?
Thanks.

I asked some experts to look too - you have lots of JS that has to be considered - give us some time and we'll be back :)
Old Nov-30-2007, 11:46 AM
wellman is offline wellman
Swimming for Them

This is incredible! One request - please please tell me you're working on making Carbonite stretchy. That would be THE WIN.
Old Nov-30-2007, 11:48 AM
Sheaf is offline Sheaf
SmugMug stats geek
Quote:
Originally Posted by wellman

This is incredible! One request - please please tell me you're working on making Carbonite stretchy. That would be THE WIN.
I believe we are working on making a lot more of them stretchy, but I'm not positive about Carbonite. It presents some unique problems, as does Graffiti.

Anyways, this was just the first batch.
Old Nov-30-2007, 12:21 PM
Happy Snapper
Quote:
I asked some experts to look too - you have lots of JS that has to be considered - give us some time and we'll be back :)
Thanks Andy!

I think my JS won't be a problem, since it deals mostly with the menu's, not with positioning elements on my page. My CSS may be more of a problem, however

in two billion years,
all I can think is:
Old Nov-30-2007, 12:33 PM
pjb923 is offline pjb923
Big grins
Not working in Opera
I know you don't officially support Opera, but everything has been working fine for me until the introduction of the stretchy option. I love the feature, and it looks great combined with the new larger image sizes, but it completely breaks the Smugmug view in Opera.

This is what I get when I try to load one of my galleries.

Click for larger view

When I'm not logged in I get the exacty same thing without the extra gallery and photo tools. Just a blank page with a line in the middle.
Old Nov-30-2007, 12:33 PM
{JT} is offline {JT}
Code Monkey
Fixed it, you needed this in your css:
#mainImage {
position: static;
}

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingdutchie
Go to this link using IE7:
http://www.streetsofboston.com/gallery/994065

If the Smugmug style is set (it should be default), then you'll see that the main-picture is shifted somewhat to the bottom of the page (and a little to the right), overlapping and covering the caption. When you mouse-over or change the page/picture, the picture snaps back into its correct position.

Can this be fixed?
Thanks.

Old Nov-30-2007, 12:37 PM
{JT} is offline {JT}
Code Monkey
That would be because Opera likes to pretend it is IE in some regards and not others. I will see what we can do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjb923
I know you don't officially support Opera, but everything has been working fine for me until the introduction of the stretchy option. I love the feature, and it looks great combined with the new larger image sizes, but it completely breaks the Smugmug view in Opera.

This is what I get when I try to load one of my galleries.

When I'm not logged in I get the exacty same thing without the extra gallery and photo tools. Just a blank page with a line in the middle.
Old Nov-30-2007, 12:39 PM
Happy Snapper
Quote:
Originally Posted by {JT}
Fixed it, you needed this in your css:
#mainImage {
position: static;
}
Holy Schmoly!
Can you fix it any faster!!!??

Thank you very much, JT!
This is the one of the main reasons i'm a customer of Smugmug.

in two billion years,
all I can think is:
Old Nov-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Here is the place to discuss the newest upgrade to SmugMug style "stretchy" and how your galleries can now go big and wiiiide
OK, I know the ink isn't even yet dry on the announcement, but I've already found a meanginful enhancement I'd love to see so here's one for your thinking cap.

I have many sports galleries that are all portrait orientation shots. It would be great if the dynamic thumb sizing algorithm could realize that (at least for the page it's on) and use all that extra space for more thumbs. In a gallery like this (see image below), you can clearly see that a lot more thumbs would fit on the page because there are no landscape orientation images in this gallery. Further, the caption is weirdly formatted (way off to the left). My feature request is for the new dynamic style to be smart enough to recognize that it doesn't need to "save room" for landscape pictures.

Old Nov-30-2007, 12:51 PM
{JT} is offline {JT}
Code Monkey
This would be a bigger nightmare than you think. Some galleries have 10k+ photos in them and getting ALL of the photo data for that ahead of drawing time would be a very slow painful nightmare.

I am not saying we won't find a way - but we have other improvements that are higher priority.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriend
OK, I know the ink isn't even yet dry on the announcement, but I've already found a meanginful enhancement I'd love to see so here's one for your thinking cap.

I have many sports galleries that are all portrait orientation shots. It would be great if the dynamic thumb sizing algorithm could realize that (at least for the page it's on) and use all that extra space for more thumbs. In a gallery like this (see image below), you can clearly see that a lot more thumbs would fit on the page because there are no landscape orientation images in this gallery. Further, the caption is weirdly formatted (way off to the left). My feature request is for the new dynamic style to be smart enough to recognize that it doesn't need to "save room" for landscape pictures.
Old Nov-30-2007, 01:01 PM
Lou Gonzalez is offline Lou Gonzalez
Wedding Grinner
Oh my! This is tasty! I was about to do a redesign so this came at a perfect time for my site's new look! Thanks guys!

Unfortunately it doesn't play nice with my current setup. I turned on stretchy and the main pic shows up below the thumbnails, instead of to the right. Not sure why. Using IE6.

http://www.fernandogonzalez.net
Old Nov-30-2007, 01:04 PM
DavidTO is offline DavidTO
Mod Emeritus
Hey.

That stretchy stuff is pretty frickin' slick.

Nice work!!!
Old Nov-30-2007, 01:09 PM
Scripting dude-volunteer
Quote:
Originally Posted by {JT}
This would be a bigger nightmare than you think. Some galleries have 10k+ photos in them and getting ALL of the photo data for that ahead of drawing time would be a very slow painful nightmare.

I am not saying we won't find a way - but we have other improvements that are higher priority.
What if you did it one page at a time? This page has no landscape images on it so I can fit more thumbs.

What if I told you (perhaps via a JS variable setting) that this gallery is portrait-only?

When you have a landscape image being displayed, it feels like you are getting maximum screen real-estate goodness from the new design and it's very, very cool. When you have a mix of images, well you kind of know you have to accomodate the mix.

But, when you have a portrait image displayed, the layout looks a little wonky (I've always though this of the Smugmug style) and when the whole gallery is portrait, it just doesn't feel like you got full goodness from the new dynamic design.

I know, it's just like me to take a wonderful new gift and ask for more. Please note I was one of the first to post and praise the new goodness and now I just want it to be a little more.

Here's what it could look like if we could figure out how to do it efficiently:
Old Nov-30-2007, 01:10 PM
Allen is offline Allen
"tweak 'til it squeaks"
Quote:
If you've customized with a theme, and that theme stretches, great!..
This doesn't seem to be true. I use the Tan theme with some customization
and unless I switch to the real Tan theme it doesn't stretch.
Customization FAQ Banner/Navbar/Slideshow Tutor
Old Nov-30-2007, 01:13 PM
Andy is offline Andy OP
4/3s of a photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen
This doesn't seem to be true. I use the Tan theme with some customization
and unless I switch to the real Tan theme it doesn't stretch.
link?
Old Nov-30-2007, 01:14 PM
Andy is offline Andy OP
4/3s of a photographer
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfriend
I know, it's just like me to take a wonderful new gift and ask for more. Please note I was one of the first to post and praise the new goodness and now I just want it to be a little more.
We love the suggestions John, don't ever stop

Give us some time to breathe, {JT} will see what can be done, thanks!
Page 1  of  21
1 2 3 4 5 11 Last »
Tell The World!