Options

Sintra Portugal, Palácio da Pena

PantherPanther Registered Users Posts: 3,658 Major grins
edited November 21, 2007 in Landscapes
Howdy All,

What a beautiful and wonderful place to shoot.

88382336.jpg

88382456.jpg

88398681.jpg

88417664.jpg

88399216.jpg

On the highest hilltop the pseudo medieval Pena Palace (Palacio or Castelo da Pena) with a 270 hectare large garden is situated. This marvellous fairy tale castle was begun in 1840 as a royal summer residence on behalf of the German Prince Consort of Queen Maria II, Ferdinand of Saxonia Coburg-Gotha and is the most important example of Portuguese architecture in the Romantic period. It is also called the ‘Portuguese Neuschwanstein’ – in fact - a very fitting comparison

info by www.sights-and-culture.com
Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas

Comments

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Thanks for sharing, Craig! I haven't visited the original Neuschwanstein in the flesh (yet) but this certainly looks like a warmer, more colorful cousin. I'm really stunned by the lovely choices of blues, yellows, and reds. thumb.gif
  • Options
    Glenn NKGlenn NK Registered Users Posts: 268 Major grins
    edited November 20, 2007
    Very interesting images.

At one time, Spain was inhabited by the Moors, and the architecture in these images seems to have some Moorish influence, notably in the tower (minaret?), the archway in No.1 and No.3, and the tilework in No.4.

These particular elements don't seem Germanic to me.
    "There is nothing that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and he who considers price only is that man’s lawful prey". John Ruskin 1819 - 1900
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2007
    schmoo wrote:
    Thanks for sharing, Craig! I haven't visited the original Neuschwanstein in the flesh (yet) but this certainly looks like a warmer, more colorful cousin. I'm really stunned by the lovely choices of blues, yellows, and reds. thumb.gif

Howdy Schmoo,

Thanks for the kind reply and comments.

It was indeed a wonderfully magic place.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas
  • Options
    edited November 21, 2007
    Glenn NK wrote:
    Very interesting images.

At one time, Spain was inhabited by the Moors, and the architecture in these images seems to have some Moorish influence, notably in the tower (minaret?), the archway in No.1 and No.3, and the tilework in No.4.

These particular elements don't seem Germanic to me.

Howdy Glenn,

The Moorish influence that you noticed is all through Portugal, especially in some special cities like Obidos, and down in the Algarve(Southern) region.

Here's what Frommer's had to say about the Ruins that the Pena Palace overlooks.

Frommer's Review
    The Castle of the Moors was built sometime between the 8th and 9th centuries in a position 412m (1,351 ft.) above sea level. In 1147, Scandinavian crusaders besieged and captured it from its Moorish occupants. Ferdinand of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, the royal consort responsible for Pena palace , attempted to restore the castle in the 19th century. He was relatively unsuccessful.
    Take care,

Craig

Burleson, Texas