Options

Jigsaw Puzzle Project - environmental portraits

JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
edited July 18, 2008 in People
The Jigsaw Puzzle Project

I live in a small apartment building in New York City, ten floors and forty-six apartments. We’ve got some characters living here, a great superintendent, and we even get some heat in the winter sometimes. Not enough heat, but you can’t have everything.
219075608-O.jpg

I was watching the local news in the summer of 2001. They were showing a building whose entire exterior wall had collapsed, revealing the apartments inside. There they were, all lined up, ten kitchens in a vertical column, one man’s ceiling is another man’s floor, all those people inches apart. It struck me how close we live to each other, sometimes for decades, yet we might never know our neighbors. A couple of weeks later was 9/11, and imperceptibly, we became a little more of a group, and less a collection of individuals. Thinking the time was right, I invited everyone in our building to come to our photo studio (which is a converted apartment in the building), one apartment at a time, to have their portraits made. The concept was to hang all the prints of everyone in our building, at one time, in one space. Those images were made in the fall of 2001, and they looked like this:
219080364-O.jpg

I wanted the same exact lighting setup for everyone, so that the lighting would get out of the way and not be an issue, and used b&w film so the color would not distract. We were all out there, exposed, with no shadows to hide in, and the lighting & film choice acted as an equalizer. We ended up with twenty-nine 11x14 fiber prints, and we hung them in our basement hallway, which leads to the recycling room and the laundry room. We had a “gallery opening”, served wine & snacks, and people seemed to really enjoy the project.
219393233-O.jpg

Now, six years later, it’s time to create a visual record of ourselves again, except this time I’m making environmental portraits in the tenants’ apartments, in color.

Here are my goals:
  • To use only small portable strobes for lighting, as I really need to improve my knowledge of how to use the powerful little things. I am (slightly) more comfortable using studio lighting, so I needed to challenge myself, and this seemed like a good way.
  • Try to show something of their personality, or something about them.
  • Show a sense of place.

So, in September of this year (2007), I wrote a proposal and slipped it under the door of everyone in the building, asking them to please consider participating in this project. Here are the results, so far.

219378643-O.jpg
screenwriters

219378665-O.jpg
artist
219378686-O.jpg
artist
(haven't decided which one of her I like best)
219378701-O.jpg
editor

There are three light sources; natural light from the windows, regular household lamp lights (incandescents), and Nikon flash units (two SB-800’s, one SB-80DX and one SB-26). My tests determined that the Nikon infrared triggering system would never work, as sometimes the strobes had to be hidden behind walls and pianos etc., and infrared won’t travel through walls and wood. So I used the strobes in manual mode, and triggered them with Pocket Wizards. I also used some diffusion devices, snoots and gobos. The photos were captured with a Nikon D200, with two Nikon lenses, a 14mm 2.8 and a 17-55mm 2.8, and I always used a tripod. I shot RAW files and used a Minotla IV-F incident light meter.

A major goal was to light these pictures with flashes, yet make them look as if they were NOT lit with flashes. However, the immediate problem was that these apartments are dark, I mean really dark. We’re surrounded by taller buildings and we just don’t get much light inside the apartments. You can sometimes see it through the windows, but it doesn’t come inside much. Plus, I was stubbornly sticking to ISO 100 or 200, and never went any higher.

So I broke some rules. I underexposed even though I know you’re not supposed to. And I did my best to fix it in ACR and LAB. So they’re probably noisier than need be. Everything has its price.

219378717-O.jpg
pianist
219378731-O.jpg
After washing her clothes by hand in the sink, she hangs them on an old wooden drying rack, which is then raised to the ceiling with ropes. All the apartments used to have these racks, but this is the only one left in the building now. (note the cat)

219378742-O.jpg
psychologist/women's health advocate

219378763-O.jpg
musician

220152891-O.jpg
Here I am shooting photo #8.

Any comments re composition, lighting, posing or postprocessing?
All comments are welcome. Thanks. Jim

(The great portrait photographer Arnold Newman once said that making environmental portraits is 50% photography and 50% moving furniture. I couldn’t agree more.)

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/

Comments

• Options
    evorywareevoryware Registered Users Posts: 1,330 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Just wanted to say I think this is a great series to view. This is something I'd expect to see in New York Magazine w/ the story. I like #3 more than #2 for an environmental portrait.
    Canon 40D : Canon 400D : Canon Elan 7NE : Canon 580EX : 2 x Canon 430EX : Canon 24-70 f2.8L : Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L USM : Canon 28-135mm f/3.5 IS : 18-55mm f/3.5 : 4GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2GB Sandisk Extreme III : 2 x 1GB Sandisk Ultra II : Sekonik L358

dak.smugmug.com
  • Options
    BriggieBriggie Registered Users Posts: 303 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Awesome, Jim!! What a wonderful idea!! I think this kind of project would do wonders to bring a sense of community to apartement dwellers everywhere! Love your technique, lighting! You have a knack of giving us a glimps into everyone's personnality as well as their home!! Lovely set!! Feels like a housing co-op type place!

cheers!
    Brige
    "Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away..."

My Smug Gallery
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Jim, this is beyond wonderful. I got chills just reading your story and viewing your results! I have no criticism of your exposures, all the shots have unity in the lighting and I feel you met your goals marvelously. I love the original 'bare' portraits, but renewing the gallery with these wonderful, warm, environmental shots was a fantastic idea. You are off to a wonderful start and I can hardly wait to view the finished project. What a great way to get to know your neighbors.........I would imagine this project has changed the atmosphere of living in this building quite a bit...there just has to be a larger feeling of 'community'. Great job! :saurora
  • Options
    aktseaktse Registered Users Posts: 1,928 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    clap.gifclapclap.gifclapclap.gifclap

I believe this series should be seen in a magazine! Wonderful story! And beautiful photos! Truly incredible!
  • Options
    aktpicsaktpics Registered Users Posts: 106 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Wow - the whole concept is fabulous. As far as your technique goes, I am thinking I may start shooting from under a card table. :D
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    WOW! What an amazing and inspiring project! I loved reading your story along with viewing the photos and seeing where it all began. I agree that it must make your community life so much more rich. Bravo to you for being brave enough to take on this idea. And bravo to your subjects for being willing. Great, great stuff!!!

EDIT: And as far as lighting goes...it looks superb to me!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    evoryware – Thanks for the comments, and I appreciate your opinion on #2 vs #3.

Briggie – Thank you.

saurora – Thanks very much. I have made some new friends in the building because of this project. As far as changing the atmosphere, perhaps a little, maybe moreso after we hang these prints in the basement at the end. But, many city dwellers often guard their private space, likely because we have so little of it.

aktse - Many thanks to you. Who knows? Maybe someday.

aktpics – Thanks. (Borrow a taller card table than I did. Things got a little cramped. :D )

Elaine – Thank you very much. In portrait photography, it is the willing subjects, who understand and appreciate the value of photography, that make it possible for us to do what we do. So I agree with you, bravo to them. I thank them and try to make them feel a part of the project.

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,922 moderator
    edited November 12, 2007
    Hi Jim,

Glad to read this update on your project. I can't offer any technical advice, as I'm sure you know a lot more than I do. The results so far are terrific. I also can't decide between #2 and #3. I love the clutter and cramped feeling of #2, but you can't see her face at all. ne_nau.gif I got a kick out of #6--if it were processed in dark sepia, it would fit right in to the Doisneau collage you mentioned. Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose. #8 is just too adorable.

Anyway, you are doing great and I can't wait to see more. Any thoughts on how you are going to present the final set?

Regards,
  • Options
    edited November 12, 2007
    Hi Richard,

Thank you. Yes, I understand about not seeing her face in #2. Perhaps I'll go with #3 instead because of its sense of place.

Ha, yes, I agree, photo 6 would fit into that Doisneau collage. The timing works, as she's been in this building since the mid-fifties. She's the solo poser in the b&w at the top of the post.

We'll hopefully have another gallery night in the basement when the pictures are done. The image sizes are ending up at 10" by about 14.5", and we'll probably mount them on foamcore (full bleed) and put them on the basement walls with velcro. That worked last time with the b&w exhibit.

However, in addition to hanging the prints, I'm interested in at least researching the idea of printing the building big, as Doisneau did (6 feet tall), and putting some of the portraits on it. We'll see. Plenty to do yet.

Regards,

Jim

• Options
    Wet OregonWet Oregon Registered Users Posts: 14 Big grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    Jigsaw Puzzle Project environmaental portraits
    JimW wrote:
    Hi Richard,

Thank you. Yes, I understand about not seeing her face in #2. Perhaps I'll go with #3 instead because of its sense of place.

Ha, yes, I agree, photo 6 would fit into that Doisneau collage. The timing works, as she's been in this building since the mid-fifties. She's the solo poser in the b&w at the top of the post.

We'll hopefully have another gallery night in the basement when the pictures are done. The image sizes are ending up at 10" by about 14.5", and we'll probably mount them on foamcore (full bleed) and put them on the basement walls with velcro. That worked last time with the b&w exhibit.

However, in addition to hanging the prints, I'm interested in at least researching the idea of printing the building big, as Doisneau did (6 feet tall), and putting some of the portraits on it. We'll see. Plenty to do yet.

Regards,

Jim
    :D

Jim: What a story!!!! In both tremendous photographs and descriptive words; I'm sure this is SMITHONIAN, READERS DIGEST and even NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC material....I love #6 and very jealous of #8--enjoy your endeavor...

Wet Oregon
  • Options
    FeliciaFelicia Registered Users Posts: 385 Major grins
    edited November 12, 2007
    This is really cool! I feel like I just got a glimpse behind the walls of the apartment building and explored everyone's space a bit.
    "Just because no one understands you doesn't mean you're an artist."

www.feliciabphotography.com
  • Options
    ultravoxultravox Registered Users Posts: 776 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    bowdown.gifiloveyou.gifthumb.gif
    Cristian.
    [SIZE=-1]It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice. - John Lennon.[/SIZE]
  • Options
    tleetlee Registered Users Posts: 1,090 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Thank you for sharing these images. Very well done--excellent idea!

T :D

www.studioTphotos.com

"Each day comes bearing its own gifts. Untie the ribbons."
    ----Ruth Ann Schubacker
  • Options
    edited November 13, 2007
    Wet Oregon, Felicia, ultravox and tlee -

Thank you all very much.

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Hey Jim,

Didn't see this post before.

I'm really glad some of my work helped someone get the shots they needed. Now you know there's nothing intimidating about those strobes, they still carry a huge punch though!

Totally drooling over your gear..mwink.gif Does the magic arm work as good as it looks? (I have a feeling I know what your answer is already)

I think your idea is great! I've often mentioned to my friends about not even knowing our neighbors. It's great to see someone that's stepping out of the comfort zone and getting to know ppl.

Warm regards,
    -Jon
  • Options
    edited November 15, 2007
    Thanks Jon. Stepping out of the comfort zone is a good way to put it. That’s what you did with your lighting blog. And it’s true about these portraits too. People are sometimes a little wary about agreeing to be in this project. It’s not a comfortable thing to do.
    Does the magic arm work as good as it looks?
    Since I’m not the least bit mechanically inclined, I have found the “gripology” aspect of photography to be the most challenging. (I didn’t even know gripology was a word until I was told I would have to learn it.) I sat and stared at that magic arm for a year before I could figure out how to use it. In the end, it wasn’t necessary to figure out how it works (thank God). I finally stopped trying to understand the directions and just used it. It works, and it’s an amazing thing. Now that I’ve used it, I’m finding that I don’t need light stands as often. Super clamps and magic arms used to sit unused in my bag. Now I’m starting to use them, and it all gets easier each time. It’s changed my workflow, which now makes more sense.
    -find a composition
    -where do I want the light?
    -set up the lighting stuff
    -direct the subject

Previously, the composition was limited by the lighting setup. Understanding a little about gripology frees me to put the light stuff where I want it, at least more so than before. The lighting setup gets easier and faster, giving me more time to deal with the people. In the end, it’s that last part, dealing with the people, that will have the greatest effect on the final image. While I love thinking about lighting and setting it up, it’s my goal to spend less time lighting and more time talking with the subjects.

Thanks again for helping me towards my goal.

Cheers, Jim

• Options
    SloYerRollSloYerRoll Registered Users Posts: 2,788 Major grins
    edited November 15, 2007
    Very cool, those two toys have just advanced to the head of my list. I find myself always wanting to put light where it's a major hassle for me.
    This won't help me take better pictures, but it will make lighting them easier!

Can't wait to learn gripology!

Cheers,
    -Jon
  • Options
    edited November 27, 2007
    I've completed the next three portraits.

222799610-O.jpg
    vocal coach/opera singer

222799637-O.jpg
    singer/actor

226143735-O.jpg
    photographers

I hope to have a few more in a couple of weeks.

• Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    Wonderful! Really great stuff. So inspiring! Thanks for sharing this project with us.
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 27, 2007
    Awesome project Jim and I'm so pleased that you've come so far. I remember seeing the photo of the artist at her drafting table about a year ago on here and it really got me thinking about lighting.

You have a lovely collection of apartments in that building! Can you hear the opera singer through the walls? lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited November 28, 2007
    Thanks Elaine and schmoo. I appreciate it.

schmoo, I see that you're in Ballmer and that you have an interest in old buildings. I think it's a great city for that interest. We have a friend named Greg Otto, who is an extremely talented local artist, and a wonderful human too. He paints Baltimore scenes, and his work is in huge demand. Imagine a painter making it big, out of Baltimore! Cool. Thought you might be interested in knowing about him, in case you don't already.

http://www.historicbaltimore.org/history/gregotto.htm

We also love the Cafe Hon. Been there?

Jim

• Options
    schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited November 28, 2007
    JimW wrote:
    Thanks Elaine and schmoo. I appreciate it.

schmoo, I see that you're in Ballmer and that you have an interest in old buildings. I think it's a great city for that interest. We have a friend named Greg Otto, who is an extremely talented local artist, and a wonderful human too. He paints Baltimore scenes, and his work is in huge demand. Imagine a painter making it big, out of Baltimore! Cool. Thought you might be interested in knowing about him, in case you don't already.

http://www.historicbaltimore.org/history/gregotto.htm

We also love the Cafe Hon. Been there?

Jim
    Greg does fantastic work!! Every painting of his is instantly recognizable to anyone living here :D

I hadn't known about it before but I'll be spreading it around. thumb.gif

I actually haven't been to Cafe Hon in at least a couple of years, I think before they expanded. The Avenue has had such a revitalization and it's even so different from when I used to walk there in-between classes as an undergrad at Hopkins!
  • Options
    SystemSystem Registered Users Posts: 8,186 moderator
    edited December 19, 2007
    219378763-O.jpg
    musician

here it is!-

I love it!-
  • Options
    1pocket1pocket Registered Users Posts: 298 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    I missed these earlier, too. Wow!! What a great idea, and my goodness, you are doing a bang up job on the shoots!!!

I recently spent 5 days in NYC staying with a cousin in a NY apt building -- maybe about 15-20 floors which helps me relate a tiny bit. (I live in the woods, but we have the same neighbor disconnects out here, unfortunately :(

Thank you for letting us feel like we know your neighbors a bit!
    My humble gallery...
    www.steveboothphotography.com

Pool/Billiards specific...
    www.poolinaction.com
  • Options
    edited December 19, 2007
    -thanks-George-,-:-

Steve - Thank you. I checked out your NYC gallery, very impressive. Looks like you're committed to photography. Library, subway car & platform, observation deck, snow, street at night. It's good to see that kind of effort, and all in 5 days! Nice work.

By the way, I'm a New Englander and Sox fan. :D

• Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited December 19, 2007
    How cool! What a great project.
  • Options
    Cuties02qCuties02q Registered Users Posts: 643 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    Wow what a great project I love it!!! #3, #6 and #8 are my favs thanks for sharing =)
    Part time photographer...Full time mommy :D

My equiment: Nikon D50, Nikon D300, SB-600, 30mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 70-200mm 2.8

WEBSITE
    BLOG
  • Options
    ZanottiZanotti Registered Users Posts: 1,411 Major grins
    edited December 20, 2007
    Wow! I just caught up with this and really enjoyed it. It feels lke a perfect book. All the people are so real, with just enough of an interesting story to make you want to learn more.

Have you considered at least a Blurb type book for the entire building? What a great colllection - I want to know more of the stories behind who they are.

Z
    It is the purpose of life that each of us strives to become actually what he is potentially. We should be obsessed with stretching towards that goal through the world we inhabit.
  • Options
    edited January 28, 2008
    David S and Cuties – thank you.
    Zanotti – Thanks. No plans yet for a Blurb type book, but I’m only about halfway through. After it’s done, then we’ll see.
    Schmoo – I just noticed that some time ago you asked if I can hear the opera singer through the walls. Yes, and the radio hidden in the lobby, and the piano player on the first floor, and the guy that practices his trombone on the 2nd floor, and the garbage trucks, and the helicopters – tons of helicopters since 9/11, and the car alarms etc etc. Noisiest place I ever heard. When I win the lottery (which should be anyday now), I’m movin’ to the quietist place I can find.

Here’s the next batch of environmental portraits from my building. Things slowed down for the holidays, but it’s picked up again lately. The project is going swimmingly and the cooperation has been fantastic. I’m learning lots about photography, but also how to trick kids and cats. Here are a few other observations:

-I’ve discovered the 14mm Nikon lens used for some of these shots is really not that good. It’s sweet and sharp enough in the center but turns to oatmeal around the edges. You can see this in photo # 14. So I try to use my 17-55 lens if it’s at all possible. Whenever I have to use the 14mm, I make sure to keep the faces toward the center. (I borrowed the lens from a friend. Some friend huh, loaning me a lens like that?)

-I’ve had to learn to talk to the subjects while finding a composition and setting up the lights. This has not been easy, as I can only do one thing at a time. I can talk. Or I can do photo math. Doing both at once hurts my head. But as with anything, practice helps.

-Snoots and gobos are very useful.

239947654-O.jpg
    alternate of photo 12

239947581-O.jpg
    photographers - We have two apartments in the building. Photos #12 and #13 are in our studio/darkroom. And this one is our home, taken from the kitchen pass-through while Kathy does her 6 am yoga.

239947616-O.jpg
    psychiatrist (the guy, not the kid)

239947597-O.jpg
    loves to travel the world (solo at 87 yrs)

239947637-O.jpg

She is a singer, specializing in 17th and 18th century music, and voice teacher. He is a computer programmer and has a career as a musician, playing lute and theorbo. (The cat, however, hasn’t really done much.) Mom had a baby girl, her first, about two weeks after this photo. Cat not pleased.

• Options
    BELphotosBELphotos Registered Users Posts: 102 Major grins
    edited February 7, 2008
    I just happened to be browsing the forums today and came upon this great thread. Having grown up in NYC, I can still smell the cacophony of aromas in the halls at dinnertime; not always a pleasant experiance.

The composition of your photos is extraordinary and brings out the essence of your subjects. In the foreground of my minds eye I can see the spectacular colors of the images, and in the background of my minds eye I see these same images in the B&W style of LIFE Magazine. If LIFE were still alive, no pun intended, you would certainly be a contributor.

Your photography and storytelling complement each other very well. Please announce when the project is complete; gallery or book.
    Bruce
    http://www.BELphotos.com

"Never leave home without a camera"