Options

Blue Highways to the Enchanted Highway 56k warning

pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
edited November 20, 2007 in Journeys
A few threads down on this forum was a poster asking about travelling on Blue Highways. Blue highways are the smaller, less heavily travelled state and federal highways that are used mostly for local traffic, rather than the major interstate highways that always look very much alike at each exit, whether in California, or Mississippi, or Virgina.

I first became aware of the term blue highways in the book,"Blue Highways", written by William Least-Heat Moon in 1982. "Blue Highways" is his travelogue of his experience traveling America on back roads, after he decided to chuck everything he owned into a van and hit the road, after finding out that he had lost his job, and his wife on the same dismal day.

I love traveling blue highways because you never know just what is around the bend or over the hill. After the shootout in Glacier, Nightingale and I decided to take the blue highways back to Indiana as much as possible.

We departed Glacier, swept down across Montana and into North Dakota. I posted several images of Montana backroads here

Lots of scenes like this
205847846-L.jpg

We spent the night just west of Theodore Roosevelt National Park, so that we could spend half a day in the park next morning.

T Roosevelt Nat Park
203827271-L.jpg

Which we did; and we saw the usual suspects.

Buffalo
214304457-L.jpg

"I see you!!"
214303783-L.jpg

Song dogs - lots and lots and lots of song dogs ( aka prairie dogs )
205348066-L.jpg

antelope
204176455-XL.jpg

We passed by Greaper, who had raced ahead of us the previous morning, on his way out of TR Nat Park.

Then we headed east, racing home on I-94, when a blue highway reached out and grabbed us, and pulled us off the Interstate, and onto the little asphalt path called The Enchanted Highway at exit 72.

Now, I had never heard of The Enchanted Highway, and Nightingale was asleep, so I made an executive decision and turned south on the Enchanted Highway that leads to Regent, North Dakota in the late afternoon sun. The sign at the exit said we were about to see the largest out door metal sculptures in the world. ( I wonder if they were including the Statue of Liberty in that boast)

At exit 72 was the first sculpture "Geese in Flight" - http://www.realnd.com/images/enchantedhighwayphoto1.jpg

We had not gone very far south when we saw the first installment, Deer Crossing - http://www.realnd.com/enchantedhighwayphoto2.htm

When we were there, there was only one deer statue still erect, the other was pipe fallen to the ground. It is hard to get a feeling for scale here, but the doe is 50 feet long and 50 feet tall

207850316-XL.jpg

The sun was getting low, and we had no real idea what lay ahead of us, so we soldiered on, to Grasshoppers in the Field

218432775-XL.jpg

218428621-L.jpg

The sun was getting lower, as we approached the fishing well, which is not listed on the website

218427219-L.jpg

These two fish are the size of a city bus.
218426752-L.jpg

218431422-L.jpg

Next, was the Pheasants on the Prairie. Again the massive scale of these is hard to appreciate, but notice Nightingale in the lower right corner of the first image. The pheasant rooster weighs 13,000 pounds.....The little chick weighs 5,000 pounds.

218436462-XL.jpg

218433075-L.jpg

On we went, racing the sun, to "TR Rides Again" which ways a mere 9,000 pounds and is 51 feet tall.
218429145-L.jpg

Immediately in front of the statue of TR, is a stage coach that is more approachable in size
218457846-L.jpg

Time and sunlight were running out as we raced up the road, to the Tin Man and his Family. Tin Man and his Wife are 45 feet tall, that is as tall as a five story building...

218429641-XL.jpg

218458209-XL.jpg

218458746-XL.jpg

As we pushed farther south, on the small asphalt highway leading to Regent, we saw hundreds of real pheasants on the road and in the grass as we passed.

205347000-L.jpg

205347540-L.jpg

In the town itself were more intriguing metal sculptures along main street, and an Enchanted Highway Gift shop, which was unfortunately closed.

Regent native, Gary Greff, was the artist responsible, but the farmers and families of the surrounding areas provided the raw materials, muscle and sweat, and capital, and land to make this all possible. Each of these sculptures encompasses at least an acre or two of ground for the statue and the adjacent parking and picnic area. The parking areas are covered with crushed white rock. I am impressed by the effort that these art works entailed to completion.

This is why I love to travel blue highways, and discover, new to me, unknown gems of American enterprise and ingenuity.

I hope you all enjoyed my trip down this Blue Highway, the Enchanted Highway in North Dakota. It is worth the trip.

See you on the road.

Keep the rubber side down!
Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin

Comments

• Options
    jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited November 9, 2007
    absolutely loved it!
    Jaye
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Very cool! I've always wanted to do a drive like this! awesome...
  • Options
    David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,189 moderator
    edited November 10, 2007
    Enjoyed your pics & travelogue, Jim. Especially those sculptures! Looks like you traveled some of the same blue roadways as I did on the way back. (your shot of the same ramshacked building was way better than my attempt).

I wanted to get more time inside T.R.N.P., but those darned buffalo had me pinned in my car for a couple hours. There were two herds of ~100 each on either side of me about 12 miles in, but at least there were some good photos that came of the experience.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Options
    edited November 10, 2007
    Thanks, Jayegirl.

Your family hx pics from Tejas are fascinating!

• Options
    edited November 10, 2007
    Andi, anyone who lives in Crested Butte does not have an excuse for not doing the occasional road trip.:D

Thanks for your comments.

• Options
    edited November 10, 2007
    David_S85 wrote:
    Enjoyed your pics & travelogue, Jim. Especially those sculptures! Looks like you traveled some of the same blue roadways as I did on the way back. (your shot of the same ramshacked building was way better than my attempt).

I wanted to get more time inside T.R.N.P., but those darned buffalo had me pinned in my car for a couple hours. There were two herds of ~100 each on either side of me about 12 miles in, but at least there were some good photos that came of the experience.

You need to post your shots of the abandoned buildings, I would love to see your rendition of this spot.

Glad you like the statues - eastern Montana and western N Dakota are so wide open and empty, that finding these artworks was wonderful fun. I wish we had had a few more hours of daylight. By the time I was shooting the Tin Man, the sun was almost below the horizon.

Thanks for stopping by.

• Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    Jim

Great journey - thanks for sharing. These sculptures must really make an impression on the prairie landscape - fascinating.

I bought a book recently that depicts several backroad drives through Alberta, I guess our equivalent of blue highways, I hope to be able to follow a few of those routes each year.

ann
  • Options
    KbrickKbrick Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited November 10, 2007
    my .02
    Thanks for sharing your trip, what surprises lie around the bend!

Kbrick
  • Options
    jayegirljayegirl Registered Users Posts: 276 Major grins
    edited November 10, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Thanks, Jayegirl.

Your family hx pics from Tejas are fascinating!

Thanks.
    Jaye
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited November 13, 2007
    You sure get around :)

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited November 13, 2007
    Very cool Jim.

After we saw you and Kathy at TRNP we had to put the rubber to the road to get back in time for Editha to get to work.

The back roads rock if you have the time. You see great things, and you can actually stop and look at them without a semi running over you.

Great stuff, thx for sharing the journey.

Brian
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    The Blue Highway....I learned something new.

I always travel the back roads of ND. You see so much more then the barren highways :D Glad you enjoyed my wonderful open prairie state. And you got a shot of a pheasant---lucky you :D

Next time your in ND I will tell you a beautiful place to get some natural landscape photos---if you don't mind hiking in with the cows.

Dogdots/Mary
  • Options
    edited November 19, 2007
    Dogdots wrote:
    The Blue Highway....I learned something new.

I always travel the back roads of ND. You see so much more then the barren highways :D Glad you enjoyed my wonderful open prairie state. And you got a shot of a pheasant---lucky you :D

Next time your in ND I will tell you a beautiful place to get some natural landscape photos---if you don't mind hiking in with the cows.

Dogdots/Mary

Mary,
    Nightingale and I had a great time in North Dakota. We only wished we had had more sunlight to explore.

Colorado and Montana get the headlines, but all states have their secret landscape sites if you are persistent, and keep looking. Even Indianathumb.gif

We are always up for a good hike, too. Cows do not intimidate us a bit. Now bulls, that might be a bit more of a concern:D

Nightingale has helped create steers on a ranch in South Dakota. Hopefully she is not on the Dakota Bull-Steer watch list.:D :D

• Options
    HarrybHarryb Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 22,708 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    Outstanding set PF, looks like a fantastic ride.
    Harry
    http://behret.smugmug.com/ NANPA member
    How many photographers does it take to change a light bulb? 50. One to change the bulb, and forty-nine to say, "I could have done that better!"
  • Options
    DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited November 19, 2007
    pathfinder wrote:
    Nightingale has helped create steers on a ranch in South Dakota. Hopefully she is not on the Dakota Bull-Steer watch list.:D :D

rolleyes1.gif No bulls....just lots of cows, tall grass, Aspens, Oaks, trails, more cows and a lot more cow poo. Actually there are bulls, but they were in a pen when I saw them.

I start on the trail, but usually go off it and wonder the prairie. You do have to keep an eye to where you are as you can get lost fast.

Its the Sheyenne National Grasslands. In fact its a gravel road to the parts I go to. I love to travel the gravel roads as there is so much to see.

Sometime when I get daring I will post a few photos from there.

Dogdots/Mary
  • Options
    edited November 20, 2007
    Harryb wrote:
    Outstanding set PF, looks like a fantastic ride.

Thanks, Harry

Looking forward to seeing you and Linda in Februarythumb.gif

• Options
    edited November 20, 2007
    Dogdots wrote:
    rolleyes1.gif No bulls....just lots of cows, tall grass, Aspens, Oaks, trails, more cows and a lot more cow poo. Actually there are bulls, but they were in a pen when I saw them.

I start on the trail, but usually go off it and wonder the prairie. You do have to keep an eye to where you are as you can get lost fast.

Its the Sheyenne National Grasslands. In fact its a gravel road to the parts I go to. I love to travel the gravel roads as there is so much to see.

Sometime when I get daring I will post a few photos from there.

Dogdots/Mary

Gravel roads are the best. I always take them if I can.