Options

Sigma APO 100-300mm f/4 - reviews/samples

DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
edited March 10, 2005 in Cameras
APO 100-300mm f/4 EX IF HSM

Sigma sure loves their acronyms/initials. :lol3

But anyway, I got my new lens on friday and I love it! I just wanted to post a bit of review and some sample shots on it. First off, it seems Sigma really got it right with this lens. There seems to be a hole in Canon's lineup - fixed aperture longish telephoto zoom. Sure the 100-400 IS kicks butt, but it's way too expensive for a non-fixed aperture! Sigma to the rescue with a sub $1000 100-300mm fixed f/4. Its tack sharp, HSM focus is as fast as the EF 70-200 L (haven't done them back to back, but it felt just as quick, at least in good outdoor light), and it handles very well - not too big, but big enough to let you know its a big lens. Another great feature is fixed length, everything is internal. This really gives it a solid pro feeling, much like the 70-200 L, and much unlike the 100-400 IS L (just my opinion).

Since the price was so reasonable, more later, I picked up the 1.4x TC at the same time. The addition of this loses you a stop, to f/5.6, but performance in terms of image quality, at first glance, has no effect. No effect to focusing speed. I don't quite have a ton of shots yet, but I plan to do a test of TC no-TC back to back, soon.

To the price... $749 and $149 for the TC. I want to give a good review to "Sigma 4 Less" here. Apparently, they bought out a Brooklyn store front that had less than great reviews in the past, but from my research, it's just the store that's old, management all new. I found good ratings on resellerratings.com and one good plug on FM, so I went for it. I would recommend them as the prices are by far the lowest. They did give me a call and try to sell me a filter, but took NO for an answer quickly and easily. Purchased online wednesday, got tracking info on thurs after lunch, had the lens on friday at 1pm!!! Granted, this is a reflection of how efficient UPS is from New York to Mass, but still, fast service. Total shipping cost was $15. Very reasonable. Stuff arrived packaged well, all brand new as expected, no ripoffs here.

Blah blah blah... Here's some shots:

17021016-L.jpg

17021475-L.jpg

16950753-L.jpg

Look at how buttery this bokeh is!

16951417-L.jpg

And finally, this is what the lens looks like in action:

17026131-S.jpg

17025676-S.jpg

Sunday's weather was pretty nasty, and saturday I had too much work to do, so you'll have to wait for some better examples of shots. But I have to say right off the bat, I really like this lens. With the TC, it'll be great for wildlife, and without, it'll be great for sports too.

:D :thumb :D
Erik
moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

Comments

• Options
    Michiel de BriederMichiel de Brieder Registered Users Posts: 864 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Thanks for the write-up Eric!!!!
    That lens really ahs a smooth Bokeh!!! Hmmmmm, no, I must be strong.. must... save... for..... larger telephoto......
    Thanks thumb.gif
    *In my mind it IS real*
    Michiel de Brieder
    http://www.digital-eye.nl
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    :Insert drool smiley here:
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,697 moderator
    edited March 7, 2005
    Nice write up Erikthumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,910 moderator
    edited March 8, 2005
    Good, objective write up. Thanks!

ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    Thanks for the great review thumb.gif

I've looked at this lens for the Nikon several times. I'm not sure I need a fast zoom, but the Sigma prices are very attractive.

The other lens on my list is double the price of the sigma, but it does have VR. I'll have to do some serious thinking.

Thanks again. You rock.

Dave
  • Options
    MongrelMongrel Registered Users Posts: 622 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    I like mine a lot as well...
    10330149-L.jpg

590898-large.jpg

11455737-L.jpg
    If every keystroke was a shutter press I'd be a pro by now...
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    Beautiful mate...3 days is all i req for a report thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    dkapp wrote:
    Thanks for the great review thumb.gif

I've looked at this lens for the Nikon several times. I'm not sure I need a fast zoom, but the Sigma prices are very attractive.

The other lens on my list is double the price of the sigma, but it does have VR. I'll have to do some serious thinking.

Thanks again. You rock.

Dave
    It was a D70 mounted of version of this lens that did it for me. My best shooting buddy has had his for about 6 months now, and I played with it a few times while deciding where to go for my own. It was really nice to get some time tested reviews from him as well.

And you ain't kidding, I think for the money, this lens is an absolute steal!
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Beautiful mate...3 days is all i req for a report thumb.gif
    Yeah right, I couldn't even get it shipped to you in 3 days lol3.gif

and everyone else, you're welcome. I hope to be able to do more lens reviews in the future :Dmwink.gif
    Erik

• Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    BridgeCity wrote:
    :Insert drool smiley here:

14326032-Ti.gif

like this?
  • Options
    BridgeCityBridgeCity Registered Users Posts: 338 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    I must be a forum noob... Is that on the list of smileys for the site? or is that a link off another site?
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    Doc i would love some night street shots with this lens... would be interesting to see the shutter speeds/iso in this enviroment.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    Yeah right, I couldn't even get it shipped to you in 3 days lol3.gif

and everyone else, you're welcome. I hope to be able to do more lens reviews in the future :Dmwink.gif
    Ya flamin' drongo ! I ment the 3 days that you have had it.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Doc i would love some night street shots with this lens... would be interesting to see the shutter speeds/iso in this enviroment.
    eeks, night shots... with a long lens eek7.gif

I actually tried last night as I was walking out to the parking lot. I spotted a bunny huddled in a corner, so I pulled out the camera which had the big gun attached. I gave it a go. But fer chrissakes, you can't hand hold that behemoth! Even at ISO 1600 at f/5.6 I had a shutter speed of at most 1/20. No way. I used a bench, checkbook, and lens cover to prop up the cam and lens for this shot:

17094616-M.jpg
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Ya flamin' drongo ! I ment the 3 days that you have had it.
    never been called a drongo before. lol3.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    eeks, night shots... with a long lens eek7.gif

I actually tried last night as I was walking out to the parking lot. I spotted a bunny huddled in a corner, so I pulled out the camera which had the big gun attached. I gave it a go. But fer chrissakes, you can't hand hold that behemoth! Even at ISO 1600 at f/5.6 I had a shutter speed of at most 1/20. No way. I used a bench, checkbook, and lens cover to prop up the cam and lens for this shot:
    So your going to make me buy the 2.8 then ?

Whats the tech bit there ? An f/2.8 will double the speed to 1/40 ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    So your going to make me buy the 2.8 then ?

Whats the tech bit there ? An f/2.8 will double the speed to 1/40 ne_nau.gif
    I think you're on to it... even the f/2.8 won't really give you night shooting capability. I had the extender on, so i was maxed out at f/5.6. If I had taken that off, I would have been at f/4, 1/40 (roughly). So yeah, another stop to f/2.8 would give you roughly 1/80, heck, I'll even give you 1/100 second for good measure. The light on the bunny was pretty dim indeed, so give yourself a streetlight, maybe a 1/3rd stop there, and with a 20D you could pull off ISO 3200... so yeah, technically, the f/2.8 could be used at night - you'd be somewhere around 1/200 second, so you could handhold. But only at the short end anyway. Why would you spend more than twice as much and have a twice as heavy lens for one or two night shots? the f/4 is more than ample during the day.

Thanks for making me go through that Gus! Now I feel even better about my lens. Even if I had more money, I would do it again - get the f/4 and with the rest of the money, I'd buy the sweet 150mm EX macro lens.
    nod.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    I can only talk about what ive read & if you look at both the 2.8 & the 4 on FM...all people mention about the f/4 is its sharpness....almost like its sharper than f/2.8.
  • Options
    edited March 8, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    I can only talk about what ive read & if you look at both the 2.8 & the 4 on FM...all people mention about the f/4 is its sharpness....almost like its sharper than f/2.8.
    I researched this one to death and found the same results all over. Nothing but 10's for the f/4 and some mixed bag for the f/2.8. The only explanation I can find for this is that the f/4 was designed from the ground up as a great fixed length/internal focus telephoto zoom (also newer than big brother, I think). The f/2.8 started life as the 300mm prime, the guts were redesigned to be a zoom and elements were added. Something to be said for starting with no preconceived design constraints.

ne_nau.gif
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    Ok...your doing well mate...now some low light indoors stuff both short & long with the exif

There are people needing to see this....
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    Nice thread, doc. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    Humungus wrote:
    Ok...your doing well mate...now some low light indoors stuff both short & long with the exif

There are people needing to see this....
    I really don't know why you'd use this indoors... maybe cause I'm thinking in the mind set of my rather small apartment. Even at 100mm, I'd be clear across the living room to use it for even a portrait.

Which is exactly what I did when I first took it out of the box. I promised the lady I wouldn't show this photo anywhere, as she was feeling under the weather and "ugly" that evening. But this was taken indoors, low light, no post proc whatsoever:

16964666-M.jpg

click on it for the exif box...

So this was handheld on the longer end, high ISO. I was really impressed with how sharp this was at such a slow shutter. BTW, what is up with that focal length guess - 2144mm!!!
    headscratch.gifdunno

So gus, gimme a specific assignment, I'll see what I can do.
    Erik

• Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Nice thread, doc. nod.gif
    Thanks waxy, after 1300 posts, I was bound to finally do one right! :D
    Erik

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    eek7.gif That does NOT do her justice, Erik. Hope she doesn't find out... :whip

lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2005
    DJ-S1 wrote:
    eek7.gif That does NOT do her justice, Erik. Hope she doesn't find out... :whip

lol3.gif
    :uhoh

How's the Drebel treatin' you?
    Erik

• Options
    DJ-S1DJ-S1 Registered Users Posts: 2,303 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:
    :uhoh

How's the Drebel treatin' you?
    "She's a rebel,
    She's a rebel,
    She's a rebel,
    And she's dangerous."

- Green Day - American Idiot

Worse than Pandora's box. Do you know how hard it is not to buy lenses, tripods, flashes, cases...?? It's killing me, but I've been good so far. :twitch

Love the camera, haven't done anything much more than snapshots with it yet mostly due to lack of free time lately. It's taking me longer to learn everything than I expected, but I'm getting there. And it sure is fun! I actually took a photo with a shallow depth of field, imagine that! lol3.gif

I see you are enjoying your new one. Your posts actually made be look up the definiton of "bokeh"; I had guessed the right meaning but I didn't realize it was a Japanese term.