Options

>>vote for challenge 33 winner <<

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 14, 2005 in The Dgrin Challenges
joechiu - oh my gosh, we won!
shootoutwinner.jpg

adrian_k - here's grumpy
ch33_grumpy.jpg

canonguy - can you feel it in your soul?
16640021-L.jpg

purified - frustration
frustration.jpg

digital faerie - fear
16922631-L.jpg

wxwax - grooving
17041246-L.jpg

mitchell - pride
17070808-L.jpg

luckyhack - rapture
17070868-L.jpg

spockling - pretty in pink
PrettyinPink.jpg

freeups - comosure
17009945-O.jpg

please vote for challenge 33 winner 94 votes

joechiu - oh my gosh, we won!
30% 29 votes
adrian_k - here's grumpy
7% 7 votes
canonguy - can you feel it in your soul?
9% 9 votes
purified - frustration
25% 24 votes
digital faerie - fear
15% 15 votes
wxwax - grooving
2% 2 votes
mitchell - pride
0% 0 votes
luckyhack - rapture
1% 1 vote
spockling - pretty in pink
2% 2 votes
freeups - composure
5% 5 votes

Comments

• Options
    edited March 7, 2005
    forgot to add:

finalists chosen by dan koyanagi (ch 32 winner) and me. dan and i matched on 8 of the choices.
  • Options
    landrumlandrum Registered Users Posts: 285 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Congrats to everyone...I had a VERY hard time deciding on this one!

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    Laurie :smooch

www.PhotoByLaurie.com
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Congrats to everyone clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif what a great turnout and some wonderful shotsclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif and for those of us who did'nt make it..

quick.. back to the camera it's Minimalism.. lets get to it clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    dkoyanagidkoyanagi Registered Users Posts: 656 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Great job everybody! thumb.gifthumb
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    I feel very minimal today. As in every muscle hurts, and I am dead tired. Am having a book sent from the main library on minimalism. Might feel better by then. This bird photography could kill someone like me who just turned 65.

Great finalists, really greatclap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Great entrants in general. Slow to start but you all caming screaming to the finish line.clap.gifclap.gif

So MANY entrants! With a difficult subject, too.thumb.gif

See ya at your minimal threads,
    ginger
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited March 7, 2005
    a couple great later entries. another great lot of finalists thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    FreeUpsFreeUps Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Great entries! Good luck Grinners! :D:D:D
    No time for the old in-out, love, I've just come to read the meter
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Andy, Andy, Andyrolleyes1.gif

People will now start to think that the fix is in. How could you pick my shot as a finalist over all those other great entries!!!

Best of luck everyone!!clap.gif

mitch
  • Options
    MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    andy wrote:
    forgot to add:

finalists chosen by dan koyanagi (ch 32 winner) and me. dan and i matched on 8 of the choices.
    I think everyone here appreciates this bit of information. thumb.gif
  • Options
    aero-nutaero-nut Registered Users Posts: 693 Major grins
    edited March 7, 2005
    Agreed. Very awsome turnout! On to the next one!:lift
  • Options
    Nee7x7Nee7x7 Registered Users Posts: 459 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    Nice Work, Everyone!
    The competition just gets tighter and tighter! ...and Mitchell, your photo of the proud boy scout (your son?) with his trophy was really charming, so of course it belongs here!

Congrats to all...it was a very well rounded group of photos, and the subject certainly wasn't as easy as we first thought it would be!

Cheers!
    ~Nee rolleyes1.gif
    http://nee.smugmug.com[/COLOR]
    http://www.pbase.com/rdavis

If at first you don't succeed, destroy all the evidence that you tried~
  • Options
    JamesJWegJamesJWeg Registered Users Posts: 795 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    I found myself wishing that I could vote for more than one choice :D Some good shots there.

James.
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited March 8, 2005
    JamesJWeg wrote:
    I found myself wishing that I could vote for more than one choice :D Some good shots there.

James.
    Mitchell.. the boy scout "proud" shot was an absolute finalist.. could'nt mistake that emotion clap.gif
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    I have to be honest, "here's grumpy", "frustration" and "fear" look totally staged to me, so obvious that the emtions look almost overdone, therefore fake. Does anyone agree here? In "comosure" I'm not feeling any emotion at all coming from that. All great shots, nicely composed, but the emotions only look "real" in a few.

"can you feel it in your soul?" gets my vote for the one that nailed it on the head.

Doug
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    dugmar wrote:
    I have to be honest, stuff
    Dude, the poll's still open. eek7.gif Maybe those comments would be better placed in the individual threads where these shots were first displayed.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    dugmardugmar Registered Users Posts: 756 Major grins
    edited March 9, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Dude, the poll's still open. eek7.gif Maybe those comments would be better placed in the individual threads where these shots were first displayed.
    My first deleted post! I'm so proud!

I would apologize if this thread didn't contain comments on individual photos, but it does, so I don't feel my post was out of line, so I won't.

-Dude
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    dugmar wrote:
    My first deleted post! I'm so proud!

I would apologize if this thread didn't contain comments on individual photos, but it does, so I don't feel my post was out of line, so I won't.

-Dude

i guess that's becuase they were more congratulatory of the finalist. but in the end, you are right, it' probably not appropriate for any comments either way in this thread until the voting is close. no apologies necessary!
  • Options
    edited March 9, 2005
    i have deleted posts that have comments about the finalists - so as not to influence voting, i'll leave them deleted until the voting closes, at which time i'll bring them back.
  • Options
    edited March 10, 2005
    andy wrote:
    i have deleted posts that have comments about the finalists - so as not to influence voting, i'll leave them deleted until the voting closes, at which time i'll bring them back.

restored.
  • Options
    digital faeriedigital faerie Registered Users Posts: 667 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    dugmar wrote:
    I have to be honest, "here's grumpy", "frustration" and "fear" look totally staged to me, so obvious that the emtions look almost overdone, therefore fake. Does anyone agree here? In "comosure" I'm not feeling any emotion at all coming from that. All great shots, nicely composed, but the emotions only look "real" in a few.

"can you feel it in your soul?" gets my vote for the one that nailed it on the head.

Doug
    so....tell us how you really feel :lol4
  • Options
    Charlie BrownCharlie Brown Registered Users Posts: 199 Major grins
    edited March 10, 2005
    damn dug, take the stick out and have a seat. whats the problem, is there really a need to badmouth other people or their shots? really dude, thats super weak.

charlie
    I can only hope to progress to the point of one day being a second rate photographer, wish me luck.
  • Options
    adrian_kadrian_k Registered Users Posts: 557 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    oh no it wasn't
    maybe you should try getting a four year old to fake an emotion. I can assure you it was not staged and that my daughter only pulls that face when the camera's pointed at her. If you care to dig out my original post you'll find some explanation.

On the other hand, whereas we have "no photoshop challenges", there was no "no staged scene" clause.

cheers,
    dugmar wrote:

Doug
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
    Adrian
    my stuff is here.....
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2005
    Now now, everyone settle down a bit...

First, can everyone read Dug's post before flaming him? He didn't badmouth anyone (so chuck, maybe you should chill out before throwing out lewd comments). All he did was state his opinion in a pretty non aggressive way. One of the things people need to realize is that as this site continues to grow, we can't just always be "hey great shot", "nice work", we're here to learn and critisize/share opinions. Dug wasn't telling Adrian the shot was bad, just that it was not up his alley. I can sympathize, for example, I like street shooting much better than posed studio work... is there anything wrong with that?

I hope this place doesn't become "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it". We're not school kids.
    Erik

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:

First, can everyone read Dug's post before flaming him? He didn't badmouth anyone (so chuck, maybe you should chill out before throwing out lewd comments). All he did was state his opinion in a pretty non aggressive way. One of the things people need to realize is that as this site continues to grow, we can't just always be "hey great shot", "nice work", we're here to learn and critisize/share opinions. Dug wasn't telling Adrian the shot was bad, just that it was not up his alley. I can sympathize, for example, I like street shooting much better than posed studio work... is there anything wrong with that?

I hope this place doesn't become "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it". We're not school kids.
    thumb.gif Absolutely. And the place to say it is in the critique threads, where it isn't easy being as straightforward as Doug was, but where it's really valuable to the shooter. nod.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    Lucky HackLucky Hack Registered Users Posts: 594 Major grins
    edited March 14, 2005
    DoctorIt wrote:

I agree. With that established, as the Ralph Nader of the contest rolleyes1.gif I'd like to know what was missing from my entryheadscratch.gif I need feedback, and from here on out I am giving anyone permission to be brutally honest, (I wouldn't do the same unless someone asked) don't be shy, you don't even have to be polite, just be honest.

Also, it's obvious why the winner won, the photograph was amazing! I'm not suggesting that I should have won, I just didn't expect to end up dead last. (thank you to whoever that was that voted for me:D)

Was it a technical aspect of the photo?
    Was it that no one can relate to the idea of rapture? (too esoteric?)
    Does it look like this guy isn't in rapture?
    Something else?

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Chance favors the prepared mind. -Louis Pasteur
  • Options
    edited March 14, 2005
    Lucky Hack wrote:
    I agree. With that established, as the Ralph Nader of the contest rolleyes1.gif I'd like to know what was missing from my entryheadscratch.gif I need feedback, and from here on out I am giving anyone permission to be brutally honest, (I wouldn't do the same unless someone asked) don't be shy, you don't even have to be polite, just be honest.

Also, it's obvious why the winner won, the photograph was amazing! I'm not suggesting that I should have won, I just didn't expect to end up dead last. (thank you to whoever that was that voted for me:D)

Was it a technical aspect of the photo?
    Was it that no one can relate to the idea of rapture? (too esoteric?)
    Does it look like this guy isn't in rapture?
    Something else?

hoping this message finds you well -Ian
    Hey Ian, read waxy's above post (which I strongly agree with), then check your thread for comments on this shot. I'll leave you one over there.
    Erik