Options

Syria - Hama Waterwheels

JimbojackJimbojack Registered Users Posts: 94 Big grins
edited November 4, 2007 in Journeys
Hama is famous for its norias, giant waterwheels measuring up to 20 meters. They were used to irrigate the land around the Orontes (Al-Assi) river, which sits higher then the riverbed. The norias were designed to scoop water up from the river and into aqueducts which then channeled the water to local gardens and fields.

Norias were used in Hama since at least the 5th century. There is an old mosaic in the Hama museum, found in Apamea and dated to 469 A.D. showing their use. The wheels seen today were designed in the 13th century by the Ayyubids, who built around 30 of them. Out of the 100 norias that originally existed in and around Hama 17 survive today (Dating from the 14th and 15th centuries). They have been rebuilt or reconditioned during the Mamluk and Ottoman times.

To ensure the constant movement of the wheels, the river flow was channeled by little dams into a series of sluice gates. The gates are in use today, and the closing of a gate will completely stop the wheel from turning. The norias emit a distinctive "moan" as they turn, the result of friction between the wooden central pin against two wooden pads that support it. Every noria makes a distinct sound, and expert noria workers can diagnose the exact condition and health of the wheel just by listening to the sound it makes.

The use of norias as an irrigation tool was abandoned in the middle of the 20th century, they were replaced by diesel pumps which operate today. The Syrian government still allocates some funds for their maintenance, ensuring that this particular Hama icon does not die.

Syria_Norias_001.jpg

Syria_Norias_004.jpg

Syria_Norias_005.jpg

Syria_Norias_007.jpg

Syria_Norias_009.jpg

Syria_Norias_010.jpg

Syria_Norias_011.jpg

Syria_Norias_013.jpg

Syria_Norias_015.jpg

Syria_Norias_018.jpg

Syria_Norias_019.jpg

Syria_Norias_021.jpg

Couple of kids wanted to see the photos I was taking of the Norias from a bridge and wanted me to take a picture of them
Syria_Norias_022.jpg

More from this series are posted on my web site. I'll post another series from Syria later today or tomorrow.
Phillip

Just back from Europe, Eastern Turkey, Iraq and Iran, new photos coming soon!
Over 100 Countries, thousands of pictures, one Website (being redesigned at the moment)
www.Jimbojack.com

Comments

• Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,911 moderator
    edited November 3, 2007
    Thank you for this special treat!
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    Wow these are totally amazing. I knew of Hama from the terrible events in 1982, so the thread piqued my interest. It's wonderful to see such a beautiful thing in a place where I have such an otherwise negative association. Thank you.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    The night shots, in particular, are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing this story and these photos - I am enjoying them all.

ann
  • Options
    anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    I agree with the others. Very nice post and absolutely love the night shots of the wheels. clap.gif
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • Options
    Chrissiebeez_NLChrissiebeez_NL Registered Users Posts: 1,295 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    Syria_Norias_013.jpg

way spectacular! thumb.gif love the rest too :D
    Visit my website at christopherroos.smugmug.com