Options

Class of Oh-Eight!!! (senior)

jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
edited November 11, 2007 in People
Here are a few shots from yesterday. This was the first time I have used a gel on my flash, and I liked the results much better than not using one. I brought several, but wound up using a 1/2 C.T. Lee for everything.

Most of my experience has been with female subjects, but the shoot went well. If the other guys I have scheduled are as good a sport as this young man my job will be pretty simple.....and....I also have a young lady to do at this same location coming up! I plan to schedule her a litte later-- the light was very harsh yesterday.

I have not cropped these yet....I usually do that at order time, but C&C is always welcome.

216307690-M.jpg

216309043-M.jpg

216310546-M.jpg

216312675-M.jpg

216314038-M.jpg

216314473-M.jpg

216312521-M.jpg

Comments

• Options
    fcorin13fcorin13 Registered Users Posts: 130 Major grins
    edited November 2, 2007
    I really love the reflection in his guitar in #6! It looks like custom detailing! Laughing.gif! He should be really pleased with these. About having a Senior guy- I find that about 80% of my clients are guys! I though when I got into this that I'd be over-run with girls, but nope! I'm actually enjoying the guys sessions more- they are more willing to try things & girls seem to want the exact same pictures as all their friends!!!!
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    Thanks on #6. The reflections are pretty cool. They looked better (to me) in duo tone rather than color. This is only my second ever session with a high school aged male. My 80 to 20 percent ratio is opposite yours. I find that most girls have a "someones taking my picture smile" that they will put on. This guy was MUCH more natural and easy going. He was very much a pleasure to hang out with for a couple hours.
  • Options
    k2butterk2butter Registered Users Posts: 259 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    I have seen a LOT of sr. portraits on here, these are really great! I love the lighting and the way you sat him in the photos, I am sure he will be really pleased with these....
  • Options
    ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    Very nice set, Jeff!! clap.gif

#1 - I think it's my favorite of the group...I love the conversion and the pose!

#2 - I really like the colors on this one, but the pose isn't as strong for me. He looks really young here. But those logs are cool!

#3 - Another fave of mine...classic and simple. He has a great smile and the background blur is lovely. I might be tempted to clone out the fence post (or whatever it is) on the lower left.

#4 - I like the light on this one a lot, but the stuff on the right kinda distracts from the guitar, for me, as does the graphic on his shirt. I really like the use of the guitar, though.

#5 - Great smile! Composition feels a little too tight, IMO, especially on the left and bottom, but his eyes look great underneath that hat!

#6 - I really like this one too, although I wonder what it looks like in tones more like #1. The guitar reflections are very cool. (The shirt graphic is not...maybe it means something to him?)

#7 - Nice light in the eyes, nice smile. Since there isn't much color going on in the background, I wonder how this one would convert? As is, it isn't as appealing to me, as say #3.

Now ya have my .02! Don't ya feel rich? rolleyes1.gif
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    SenecaSeneca Registered Users Posts: 1,661 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    #2 is my favorite!
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited November 3, 2007
    great work loved them
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    edited November 3, 2007
    k2butter wrote:
    I have seen a LOT of sr. portraits on here, these are really great! I love the lighting and the way you sat him in the photos, I am sure he will be really pleased with these....

Wow, what a nice compliment. The lighting was pretty harsh. I shot from 1pm to 3pm....maybe a bit longer. I was trying very hard to keep him comfortable. Following advice found here ( I think it was photogmomma) I just asked him to sit/lean/stand in a place of my choosing.....comfortably. I let him choose how to sit. If it didn't "look" comfortable I would coach him on hands or foot position.......small adjustments to shoulders etc. He did a great job.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007
    Elaine wrote:
    Very nice set, Jeff!! clap.gif

#1 - I think it's my favorite of the group...I love the conversion and the pose!

I liked this one especially well myself. The BG lighting was very nice. I would have liked to have less highlight on his shoulder, but I am still stoked about this particular shot.
    #2 - I really like the colors on this one, but the pose isn't as strong for me. He looks really young here. But those logs are cool!
    Yeah the logs are pretty rugged looking. The blue really seems to jump right off the green. He looks especially young here. I wonder if it is because he is so small compared to the logs? Anyway I agree that it isn't a classic pose, but imagine a couple other kids in the photo standing around talking. Then his "pose" begins to look pretty natural. I was really bent on letting him be relaxed, maybe to a fault, but his facial expressions stayed natural for me which was a good thing.
    #3 - Another fave of mine...classic and simple. He has a great smile and the background blur is lovely. I might be tempted to clone out the fence post (or whatever it is) on the lower left.
    Yeah, I saw the post. I decided to leave it for now, but it will dissappear upon cropping.
    #4 - I like the light on this one a lot, but the stuff on the right kinda distracts from the guitar, for me, as does the graphic on his shirt. I really like the use of the guitar, though.
    I kept this one because I didn't really have any other profile shots of him. He doesn't play sports, so the guitar was a no brainer. My first question when a parent asks me to do this is....what is he/she into? I 'd like for these to say something about who they are and let the kids make their own statement. Which brings me to the t-shirt(lol....you really don't like it do you..rolleyes1.gif ) I usually suggest classic clothing, nothing wild. This time, I told his father that I was sure that there was an outfit that his mom wanted his photos done in, and for him to come dressed in that, but also to bring his favorite tee-shirt/jeans/whatever he likes to wear when he is just hanging out. This , for me, goes back to the relax and stay comfortable thing. He is in his element!!
    #5 - Great smile! Composition feels a little too tight, IMO, especially on the left and bottom, but his eyes look great underneath that hat!
    I liked that one especially for the smile. He was playing the guitar the whole time we were using it-very well I might add-and had been playing some Nikelback. I was cracking him up by asking " Is that KISS?" Anyway I totally agree that the composition is awkward. If they want it, I might actally crop it up to but not beyond the tuning gear on the right, a little more on the left but leave the very crotch of his elbow, and take some off the top to make it all look a little tighter.
    #6 - I really like this one too, although I wonder what it looks like in tones more like #1. The guitar reflections are very cool. (The shirt graphic is not...maybe it means something to him?)

I think you want that shirt for Christmas!!!mwink.gif
    #7 - Nice light in the eyes, nice smile. Since there isn't much color going on in the background, I wonder how this one would convert? As is, it isn't as appealing to me, as say #3.

The light was good, but I don't especially like the camera angle. I is kind blah...after the others. I kept it because of the light and sharpness, in case they wanted to have it. I give proofs in 4x6 with my packages. It didn't look very good in BW. I did convert another in the same spot.....it is in his gallery!!

Now ya have my .02! Don't ya feel rich? rolleyes1.gif

Yes!!! Drinks!!!! On me!!!!

Thanks Elaine for the very detailed critique. I was wondering if the forum had gone all shy on me. Sorry it took so long to respond, but I was busy with a wedding today( we aren't gonna talk about that just yet!!!), and a very late night last night at a district championship football game (we lost 7-3). I do appreciate the comments.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007
    Seneca wrote:
    #2 is my favorite!

I wonder why that shot works so well? It didn't appeal to me nearly as much through the veiwfinder as it did on screen when I got home. Maybe the blues, greens and browns? Here are 2 other versions of the same photo.
    BW
    216309389-M.jpg
    and this I thought would be nice withe a little extra contrast plus some dest, but his skin got awfully white on me.
    216310019-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007
    great work loved them

Thank you
  • Options
    Mrs FMrs F Registered Users Posts: 164 Major grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    I just asked him to sit/lean/stand in a place of my choosing.....comfortably. I let him choose how to sit. If it didn't "look" comfortable I would coach him on hands or foot position.......small adjustments to shoulders etc.
    Now that's a pearl of wisdom! Nothing looks "canned" in these images (no fake smiles/poses). Your senior looks really relaxed and comfortable in your shots and I think it makes for a very appealing image.

I really like senior pictures that capture the true person, and you really seem to have pulled it off with this set. I'm having a really hard time picking out a favorite because I like elements of all of them, but I think it's between #1 or #2. The setting/background of #2 is beautiful.

These are so nice...you know me, I'll probably study them before my next senior shoot. mwink.gif

Kari
    C and C always welcome.
  • Options
    edited November 4, 2007
    Mrs F wrote:
    Now that's a pearl of wisdom! Nothing looks "canned" in these images (no fake smiles/poses). Your senior looks really relaxed and comfortable in your shots and I think it makes for a very appealing image.
    Thanks, but I was only following what sounded like good sense that I read in this forum. If I am wrong I apologize, but I think it came from photogmomma.
    I really like senior pictures that capture the true person
    I agree and think that anything less is....wel.....l less.
    and you really seem to have pulled it off with this set. I'm having a really hard time picking out a favorite because I like elements of all of them, but I think it's between #1 or #2. The setting/background of #2 is beautiful.
    Thanks

These are so nice...you know me, I'll probably study them before my next senior shoot. mwink.gif
    Well that is very flattering, but after the set you posted recently, I think you would be just as well off studying the smugmug customization forum and deciding how you want the site you create with your pro account to look!!!

Thanks for the comments, and boost to my confidence.
  • Options
    ShelleykShelleyk Registered Users Posts: 71 Big grins
    edited November 4, 2007
    What a great set! Wonderful Job! I really like #6 the best!
    Seems he was very comfortable with you!
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2007
    Shelleyk wrote:
    What a great set! Wonderful Job! I really like #6 the best!
    Seems he was very comfortable with you!

Thanks for commenting. #6 is kind of a rule breaker. It is tilted, the foliage and sky meet near the center as oppsed to upper or lower third, and then there is the blown out sky that is broken up by what should be distracting branches and leaves. The guitar is pretty cool looking with the reflections mimicking the foliage, and my subject exposed rather nicely in this one. Thanks to fill flash. Here is the color version......

216314906-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 5, 2007
    Sad news.....Three of this young man's fellow classmates plus another boy who graduated last year were killed in an auto accident Saturday night. One of those killed is the nephew of a co-worker. What a terrible loss. Please....if you are a praying person, pray for their families and friends.......and please emphasize the importance of seatbelts and sobriety with your teenaged kids.
  • Options
    pnphotopnphoto Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited November 5, 2007
    Great work, Jeff. Among the best I have seen.

Pete
    Pete

www.pnphoto.smugmug.com

edited November 6, 2007
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Sad news.....Three of this young man's fellow classmates plus another boy who graduated last year were killed in an auto accident Saturday night. One of those killed is the nephew of a co-worker. What a terrible loss. Please....if you are a praying person, pray for their families and friends.......and please emphasize the importance of seatbelts and sobriety with your teenaged kids.

Oh, how tragic. What a terrible loss for those families and the community. Prayers going up...
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • Options
    edited November 6, 2007
    pnphoto wrote:
    Great work, Jeff. Among the best I have seen.

Pete

Thanks Pete.......nothing like a confidence boost to start the day!!!
  • Options
    edited November 8, 2007
    Order placed
    Well what do we know......headscratch.gif

the order was placed today and they did not purchase any variations of #2 or #6. They did make some good choices, and also bought extra prints outside of my offered package. thumb.gif
  • Options
    DavidSDavidS Registered Users Posts: 1,279 Major grins
    edited November 8, 2007
    I love the lighting, composition and settings in these photos. Great set.
  • Options
    edited November 9, 2007
    DavidS wrote:
    I love the lighting, composition and settings in these photos. Great set.

Thanks David, for looking and commenting.
  • Options
    photogmommaphotogmomma Registered Users Posts: 1,644 Major grins
    edited November 11, 2007
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Wow, what a nice compliment. The lighting was pretty harsh. I shot from 1pm to 3pm....maybe a bit longer. I was trying very hard to keep him comfortable. Following advice found here ( I think it was photogmomma) I just asked him to sit/lean/stand in a place of my choosing.....comfortably. I let him choose how to sit. If it didn't "look" comfortable I would coach him on hands or foot position.......small adjustments to shoulders etc. He did a great job.
    Oh, yay! I'm glad to hear that worked for you! Sometimes I'll make minute adjustments, but usually people pose themselves - at least for my style of photograhy!

Very, very nice senior set!! I think the only one I'm not fond of is #6 since he just doesn't look as relaxed. But all the others are really well done! Nice shoot....
  • Options
    edited November 11, 2007
    Oh, yay! I'm glad to hear that worked for you! Sometimes I'll make minute adjustments, but usually people pose themselves - at least for my style of photograhy!

Very, very nice senior set!! I think the only one I'm not fond of is #6 since he just doesn't look as relaxed. But all the others are really well done! Nice shoot....

It worked very well, thanks!!!

And......thanks for the comments.