• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Support SmugMug Support GPS Mapping / Coordinates

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

They're back! Our latest series of Dgrin Challenges, the OOYCZ Challenges (Out of Your Comfort Zone), is a series of challenges to help you improve your photography by stepping out of your comfort zone and trying something new. Our challenge leader says "Consider it like a photography class with no diplomas.". Get started with OOYCZ by reading the Challenge Guide.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Old Oct-22-2007, 01:38 PM
gadams999 is offline gadams999 OP
Big grins
GPS Mapping / Coordinates
Yay, I can finally post to the site! :)

I recently starting using ImageIngester Pro to start tagging my photos from tracks taken on my GPS device. It works well and Bridge sees the proper metadata for long/lat/alt.

I created a new gallery and uploaded the JPG's (http://baah.smugmug.com/gallery/3690683). I only noticed after that I didn't have the map feature turned on. After doing so, the "map this" icon still didn't appear.

If I selected "Edit Geography", the long/lat values are there. And if I selected "Update", the image is indeed mappable. But it appears I would need to do this for each and every image.

Also, when I log out to view as guest, the "map this" icon is no longer there. Any qucik tips beyond the help for how to map images?
Old Oct-23-2007, 06:15 AM
glasbergen is offline glasbergen
Big grins
Huh Public or private gallery?
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadams999
I recently starting using ImageIngester Pro to start tagging my photos from tracks taken on my GPS device. It works well and Bridge sees the proper metadata for long/lat/alt.

I created a new gallery and uploaded the JPG's (http://baah.smugmug.com/gallery/3690683). I only noticed after that I didn't have the map feature turned on. After doing so, the "map this" icon still didn't appear.

If I selected "Edit Geography", the long/lat values are there. And if I selected "Update", the image is indeed mappable. But it appears I would need to do this for each and every image.

Also, when I log out to view as guest, the "map this" icon is no longer there. Any qucik tips beyond the help for how to map images?
Is this a public or private gallery? The 'map this' button doesn't seem to work on private galleries. I have some geotagged photos in a gallery as well and the 'map this' button only appears after I make the gallery public.
Old Oct-23-2007, 06:22 AM
ivar is offline ivar
I'd be happy with a cookie
Mapping is a tricky one. it is actually dependent on a lot of settings, plus there is an annoying bug.

The gallery:
-Needs to be a public gallery
-Needs to have "geography" set to 'yes'.
-Needs to have "Hello Smuggers" set to 'yes' at both the gallery and site level
-Needs to have "Hide Owner" set to 'no'
-Needs to have "External links" set to 'yes'.
-No password or site level
-Bug: usually needs a caption to show for some reason. It is bugged, and will be fixed.

It seems to me that the bug is causing problems here. Try adding
Quote:

to your captions. It will not show anything, it is just a blank space.

I'm sorry for the inconvenience. Holler if you need any help
Old Oct-23-2007, 11:47 AM
gadams999 is offline gadams999 OP
Big grins
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivar
Mapping is a tricky one. it is actually dependent on a lot of settings, plus there is an annoying bug.

The gallery:
-Needs to be a public gallery
-Needs to have "geography" set to 'yes'.
-Needs to have "Hello Smuggers" set to 'yes' at both the gallery and site level
-Needs to have "Hide Owner" set to 'no'
-Needs to have "External links" set to 'yes'.
-No password or site level
-Bug: usually needs a caption to show for some reason. It is bugged, and will be fixed.
check, check, and double check. No passwords on a public gallery, and all settings for site and gallery match what you have. However, when I first uploaded the pictures, geography was set to 'no'.

And I do have a caption for each photo (GAA_NNNNNNNN_SSSS). Let me try adding a non-break space to the caption.

Not a biggie, but I'd love to be able to have viewers see where the picture were taken....
Old Oct-23-2007, 01:31 PM
renstar is offline renstar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gadams999
FWIW, i've had this exact same issue. I had mapping on in a gallery to play around with it, forgot about it, came back months later and no map showed up, so I made sure mapping was enabled, and it turns out i had to update each image (even though the coordinates were already there), then they showed up.

-r
Tell The World!