Comments

• Options
    Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    Anyone used either of these?

Stroboframe Stroboflip VH 2000
    or
    Stroboframe Cameraflip

I am ciurrently using a RL2000 and an older PRO RL.......the 2000RL works great with a ll shoe mount flashes but wasn't tall enuff for me to attach a SunPak 622 PRO too.......but in answere to your ?.......I have not used either of the 2 you asked about.......

For me a bracket must be sturdy but most importantly the camera must do the rotating.....................
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• Options
    GJMPhotoGJMPhoto Registered Users Posts: 372 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    Stroboframe Bracket Adapatation
    I've been using Stroboframe brackets on my medium format outfits for years. The flip works great and is very convenient. I did make one adaptation you might want to try:

I removed the shoe for the flash and replaced it with a quick release mount. This allows you to quickly remove the flash for off-center lighting and also speeds up the process of putting the flash away.

I also mounted a remote sensor (I had a Sunpack 544 at one time which had a remote sensor) upside down under the flash mount - which put the sensor closer to the axis of the lens and also kept a central axis when I took the flash off for off-axis lighting.

I don't think you can go wrong with Stroboframe brackets...they're sturdy and the flip feature is effective.

- Gary.
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    i personally prefer the camera flip model only because i think it's easier to flick my wrist and turn the camera than move the flash arm each time. that being said, the flash arm is a bit stiffer than the camera flip and doesn't make it ideal to sling around your neck, especially if you have a big lens on it.

a bit pricier, but worth the extra dough is the pro-rl bracket. if you have a full-size camera (nikon d2x, canon 1d2, fuji s3, etc.), it won't fit on the smaller brackets.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    SwintonianSwintonian Registered Users Posts: 21 Big grins
    edited October 10, 2007
    No, But my brother really wants one!wings.gif
    Anyone used either of these?

Stroboframe Stroboflip VH 2000
    or
    Stroboframe Cameraflip
  • Options
    swintonphotoswintonphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,664 Major grins
    edited October 11, 2007
    Swintonian wrote:
    No, But my brother really wants one!wings.gif

Cute.
  • Options
    rpcrowerpcrowe Registered Users Posts: 733 Major grins
    edited October 18, 2007
    I Agree With Art Scott
    Art Scott posted: "For me a bracket must be sturdy but most importantly the camera must do the rotating....................."

I agree with that for THIS main and important reason.

In order to use an EOS Flash Unit off camera, you must use a Canon off camera shoe cord on which the hotshoe of the flash mounts and which is then attached to the cold shoe of the flash bracket.

With most brackets in which the flash (not the camera) rotates, the flash unit is held with the hotshoe to the side, not on the bottom of the flash WHEN THE CAMERA IS IN PORTRAIT POSITION.

The pressure of the weight of the flash unit (and often a diffuser) will place a strain on the flash hotshoe and on the off camera flash shoe. This could easily cause damage to either component; especially if the photographer was moving around at any great speed (as we often do).

The attached picture shows a flash bracket in which the flash rotates. Unfortunately, I have not shown the off camera shoe cord which would fit between the flash unit's hotshoe and the bracket. However I think that you can get the idea why pressure would be applied to hotshoe and off camera shoe.

A secondary reason that I prefer a rotating camera bracket to a rotating flash bracket is that certain flash diffusers (such as the Joe Demb Diffuser) need to be placed in a certain direction regarding the subject.

When using a rotating flash bracket, you often have to switch the placement of the diffuser when you switch from horizontal (landscape) to vertical (portrait) position.
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited October 19, 2007
    I use a Stroboframe Pro-T. Currently have 2, so...
  • Options
    Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited October 24, 2007
    There are plenty of brackets out there that will keep the flash unit above the lens. The one pictured by rpcrowe (and others like it) have one, IMO, huge draw-back. What happens to the flash when you are bouncing off the ceiling, i.e. the flash head is pointed up. When you rotate things around, the flash head ends up pointing at a wall unless you also re-orient the flash head.

If you, instead, look at something that keeps the flash orientation static as the camera rotates underneath it, you don't have to mess with the flash head, nor do you impose a lot of additional stress on the flash hot-shoe.

I have 2 copies of the Di100FR2 Folding Flash Rotator (link) and really like it....
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008

If you, instead, look at something that keeps the flash orientation static as the camera rotates underneath it, you don't have to mess with the flash head, nor do you impose a lot of additional stress on the flash hot-shoe.

I have 2 copies of the Di100FR2 Folding Flash Rotator (link) and really like it....

That looks like a great bracket. I myself got the Quick Flip 350 (only $40) and then attached a Manfrotto quick release system to it - the plate matches the plate I use on my tripod. So now I have QR for my camera onto the bracket, and I attached a QR plate to the bottom of the bracket so that I could QR mount it to my tripod. Total invested (including bolts) $62.....the Di100FR2 is way way way over my limit at this time.

When I upgrade to pro equipment though, I think I'll go with that Di100CR - even if it is still around $300 eek7.gif. The Newton stuff definitely looks great and better than my current (cheap) solution.
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    I'm very happy with my Custom Brackets Pro-E kit

http://www.custombrackets.com/Scripts/default.asp?storemode=y

Just a twist of the wrist to go from this

DSCN2950w2.jpg

to this

DSCN2951w2.jpg

It also comes in handy in non-flash situations when using short lenses without tripod collars, to switch frim portrait to landscape.
  • Options
    darkdragondarkdragon Registered Users Posts: 1,051 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    nipprdog wrote:
    I'm very happy with my Custom Brackets Pro-E kit

http://www.custombrackets.com/Scripts/default.asp?storemode=y
    It also comes in handy in non-flash situations when using short lenses without tripod collars, to switch frim portrait to landscape.

That is a very nice and simple looking bracket. My only issue with that (looking at the photos) is that there is no way to raise or lower the top of the bracket to make room/save froom between top of camera and bottom of flash. It does look tall enough for that not to really be an issue, but you never can tell for sure. :)
    ~ Lisa
  • Options
    nipprdognipprdog Registered Users Posts: 660 Major grins
    edited February 15, 2008
    darkdragon wrote:
    That is a very nice and simple looking bracket. My only issue with that (looking at the photos) is that there is no way to raise or lower the top of the bracket to make room/save froom between top of camera and bottom of flash. It does look tall enough for that not to really be an issue, but you never can tell for sure. :)

Actually, there is room since the swivel base sets the camera behind the flash bracket. I bought the fixed version. Go to their website and check out the "build your bracket" section. They have adjustable bracket versions.