Options

People--Memphis

DVDRDVDR Registered Users Posts: 124 Major grins
edited March 4, 2005 in People
People shots from our recent trip to Memphis. I not to big on photographing people...but I am trying to do more.
Blues City Cafe...ribs

Comments

• Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    snack at dyer's...some big deal about the deapfry'd food here. Could not figure out what the big deal was....good atmosphere though.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    Taking a break...the easy way....or just taking it easy.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    Not quite fast enought to catch this snappy dresser.
  • Options
    ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Interesting subject, but each shot seems flawed to me. The first shot is interesting, but the yellow cast makes the food look really really unappealing. Perhaps that was what you were after, but I'd tone it down a bit. Also, the composition isn't strong enough to support the willfully odd crop.

The second shot is way too busy and the soft focus is disturbing. Again, there has to be a very strong composition to make overcome these basic issues.

The third shot is out of focus and looks overexposed. Perhaps you can tighten up the contrast with curves, but you cannot bring back the blown areas.

And what's going on with the fourth shot? Is this just camera motion blur or did you try something in post to get the noise and oversharpend effect? The busy shop window dominates this image. If the quality were better, perhaps there would be something interesting on the people's faces.

Don't give up. It's hard to take these kind of pictures and have them work. I can tell you what's wrong with yours, but I can't reliably get good shots in situations like this (or anywhere for that matter.) But photography is problem solving, and the first step is to identify the problems.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,207 Major grins
    edited March 3, 2005
    Boy are those ribs in the first shot??rolleyes1.gif better not let Andy see those, they'll disappear right off the screen - keep trying on these shots.. the more you do the better they'll get.thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Interesting subject, but each shot seems flawed to me. The first shot is interesting, but the yellow cast makes the food look really really unappealing. Perhaps that was what you were after, but I'd tone it down a bit. Also, the composition isn't strong enough to support the willfully odd crop.

The second shot is way too busy and the soft focus is disturbing. Again, there has to be a very strong composition to make overcome these basic issues.

The third shot is out of focus and looks overexposed. Perhaps you can tighten up the contrast with curves, but you cannot bring back the blown areas.

And what's going on with the fourth shot? Is this just camera motion blur or did you try something in post to get the noise and oversharpend effect? The busy shop window dominates this image. If the quality were better, perhaps there would be something interesting on the people's faces.

Don't give up. It's hard to take these kind of pictures and have them work. I can tell you what's wrong with yours, but I can't reliably get good shots in situations like this (or anywhere for that matter.) But photography is problem solving, and the first step is to identify the problems.
    Thanks for taking the time to comment on each picture. I don't plan "people" shots, and I should and will with practice, I suppose, but I try to find things that look interesting at the time.
    The last shot was supposed to be of the person that was dressed in such a unique manner, but I was not quite fast enough.
    Thanks again for the comments.
  • Options
    edited March 4, 2005
    lynnma wrote:
    Boy are those ribs in the first shot??rolleyes1.gif better not let Andy see those, they'll disappear right off the screen - keep trying on these shots.. the more you do the better they'll get.thumb.gif
    Yes they are...Memphis "dry rub" technique...quite tasty.