Options

Apartment Fire!!!

Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
edited September 30, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
As I was sitting looking through photos on Dgrin just a couple of hours ago, I heard a huge explosion right outside my window. At first I thought it was a gun shot, and was afraid to look out through the window blinds. But then I saw an orange glow coming in through my window. I made myself go take a peek, and was astounded to see that the apartment building right next to mine was on fire!

I dialed 911 then grabbed my camera. Fortunately, no one was home in the apartments that were burning, and everyone got out of the building safely.

_DSC0001.JPG

I haven't heard the official cause of the fire, but it looked as though either a water heater in the utility room exploded, or perhaps a propane tank for an outdoor barbeque blew up as it was sitting on someone's balcony.

EDIT: 9/28/07 - I just found out that the cause of the fire was a bolt of lightning striking the side of the building. I guess that explains the explosion I heard!!!!

_DSC0003.JPG

_DSC0005.JPG

Fortunately, the fire didn't have a chance to get very big (although it did burn up three stories worth of balconies) because the fire department wasted no time in arriving. It couldn't have been 5 minutes before they were on the scene.

_DSC0008.JPG

_DSC0011.JPG

They responded fast and heavy. There were at least seven fire trucks in my parking lot, and several police cars, and a couple of ambulances.

_DSC0016.JPG

_DSC0024.JPG

_DSC0025.JPG

_DSC0027.JPG

_DSC0028.JPG

_DSC0029.JPG

_DSC0030.JPG

_DSC0035.JPG

_DSC0037.JPG

_DSC0041.JPG

Of course, the building was evacuated and, wouldn't you know it, rain started pouring down.

_DSC0042.JPG

_DSC0048.JPG

The neighbors had no where to go, as they weren't allowed to go back into their own apartments, so they opted to stand on my patio as we all watched from a safe distance.

_DSC0050.JPG

_DSC0049.JPG

All in all, I'd have to say that is the most excitement this neighborhood has seen in a little while.

Comments

• Options
    z_28z_28 Registered Users Posts: 956 Major grins
    edited September 28, 2007
    Wrong thread !

You should post in Other Hot Shots rolleyes1.gif
    D300, D70s, 10.5/2.8, 17-55/2.8, 24-85/2.8-4, 50/1.4, 70-200VR, 70-300VR, 60/2.8, SB800, SB80DX, SD8A, MB-D10 ...
    XTi, G9, 16-35/2.8L, 100-300USM, 70-200/4L, 19-35, 580EX II, CP-E3, 500/8 ...
    DSC-R1, HFL-F32X ... ; AG-DVX100B and stuff ... (I like this 10 years old signature :^)
  • Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    Wow! Great series. Thanks for sharing.

Regards,
  • Options
    rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    Sorry to hear about the fire, but glad no body was hurt.

Good series.

How many pics did you sell to the local paper?
    Randy
  • Options
    rwells wrote:
    Sorry to hear about the fire, but glad no body was hurt.

Good series.

How many pics did you sell to the local paper?

Thanks, everyone for your comments. As to selling the pictures to the paper, I thought about it and even went online to check out the paper's submission link. They mentioned what format they prefer to receive, but there was no mention at all of a monetary compensation. It seemed more like a way for photographers who are not already on their staff to "give away" their work to the paper.

The other concern was that the paper said it needed the names of every person in the photographs, and I just don't have that information. Some of those people I had never seen before, and I was more concerned with getting a few shots and keeping my gear out of the rain than I was for following strangers around asking them to spell their names for me.

But, perhaps I will call the paper today and see if I can find out more details than their web site provided.

Anyway, thanks for looking and for the nice comments!

-Howard
  • Options
    Just to update you on this event, I sent a link to the images on this page to the Fire Department, and their webmaster just wrote back asking my permission to use these images on their web site under the news section.

Of course, I granted permission.

This is the first time someone has asked to publish my images. I feel like such a cub reporter now! :D Good thing I was home when it happened.
  • Options
    coldclimbcoldclimb Registered Users Posts: 1,169 Major grins
    Wow, close call! Nice work from the fire department, and yourself for being there with a camera. I often wish I could respond with my camera instead of a firefighting tool, but I guess putting things out is a bit more important. rolleyes1.gif Glad nobody lost their homes completely!
    John Borland
    www.morffed.com
  • Options
    edited September 29, 2007
    coldclimb wrote:
    Wow, close call! Nice work from the fire department, and yourself for being there with a camera. I often wish I could respond with my camera instead of a firefighting tool, but I guess putting things out is a bit more important. rolleyes1.gif Glad nobody lost their homes completely!

Oh, that's right!!! I remember seeing those incredible images you posted of your fire fighting efforts. Those shots were absolutely astounding. Thanks for the comments, and say hello to Kelsey and Elisa for me when you see them next. I look forward to more of your posts!

-Howard
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    great pj series Howard thumb.gif

how about telling us where this occured.
  • Options
    Angelo wrote:
    great pj series Howard thumb.gif

how about telling us where this occured.

This happened right outside my home, in Silver Spring, Maryland, just on the outskirts of Washington, D.C..
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    Great action series
    It pays to always have your camera nearby! It was just the balcony that burned? I hope the people were able to get back inside their apartments quickly then. What a horrible thing to happen to anyone.

I'm glad the fire department wanted to use your photos, congratulations. You got some pretty good photos.
  • Options
    Dee wrote:
    It pays to always have your camera nearby! It was just the balcony that burned? I hope the people were able to get back inside their apartments quickly then. What a horrible thing to happen to anyone.

I'm glad the fire department wanted to use your photos, congratulations. You got some pretty good photos.

So true. I never go anywhere without my camera any more.

Yes, it was just the balcony structures that burned, kicked off by a lightning strike. There was a small bit of burning into the utility rooms that are just off the balconies, but nothing huge. The fire department was there very quickly and contained the damage from something that could have been a major catastrophe.

Actually, it was several hours after the flames were extinguished before people were allowed back in. The fire Department still had to do inspections, determine the cause, and certify the building as structurally sound. At the time of the event, no on knew that lightning was the cause. All we knew was that there was a loud explosion sound before the fire. I guess they had to spend a lot of time trying to figure that one out.

Thanks for your comments and concern.
  • Options
    AngeloAngelo Super Moderators Posts: 8,937 moderator
    edited September 30, 2007
    This happened right outside my home, in Silver Spring, Maryland, just on the outskirts of Washington, D.C..

Ahhh, you're from Maryland. Thanks thumb.gif:D