The Watermark Thread

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited September 15, 2010 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
Ask your questions here!

SmugMug Help - Watermarking

Some tips:
  • Make it readable!
  • Use smooth, anti-aliased fonts
  • Experiment with the "fade amount" and get it juuust enough but not too strong

Another tip from Anne McBean:
AnneMcBean wrote:
Maybe this isn't not clear enough in the help section, but the watermarking in "customize gallery" refers to the automatic watermarking SmugMug can do as you add photos to that gallery.

For removing or adding watermarks after they are in a gallery, use the "watermarking" photo tool. You'll be able to select photos in bulk.

Note: No need to remove the proof watermark first, just add a different watermark and it will replace the PROOF automagically.

Comments

• Options
    marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    If I edit a custom watermark within smugmug, do I need to rewatermark the photos, or is it automatically done (lets say if I change the fade)?
  • Options
    limbiklimbik Registered Users Posts: 379 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    Just have to say thanks for the custom watermarks!!! Was hoping this would happen from day 1, now smugmug has achieved world domination.... bwahahaha! clap.gif

Anyhow, I would like to add that sizing seems to be a small issue, nothing major, but as a matter of convenience mostly. It would be ideal if a single watermark would have a proportional size, rather than its static size and if there were a slider to set "size" at the time we also set transparency. Just mt 2c, otherwise, BRAVO!!
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2006
    If I edit a custom watermark within smugmug, do I need to rewatermark the photos, or is it automatically done (lets say if I change the fade)?
    You must re-watermark any previously watermarked photos.
  • Options
    pat.kanepat.kane Registered Users Posts: 332 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    Just a heads up that applying a watermark will reset any Zoom Thumbnail that you've previously applied to the image.
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2006
    pat.kane wrote:
    Just a heads up that applying a watermark will reset any Zoom Thumbnail that you've previously applied to the image.
    nod.gif as will any action on an image: color effects, cropping, etc...
  • Options
    BarbBarb Administrators Posts: 3,352 SmugMug Employee
    edited July 29, 2006
    Watermark / Photoshop Question
    Andy, I have Photoshop CS, but it will not run on my MacBook. Won't even start. Was hoping it would run in Rosetta, but no go. Would love to make a custom watermark. Any other program you could suggest on the Mac?
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2006
    bygates wrote:
    Andy, I have Photoshop CS, but it will not run on my MacBook. Won't even start. Was hoping it would run in Rosetta, but no go. Would love to make a custom watermark. Any other program you could suggest on the Mac?

I was not aware that CS won't run on a Macbook. Isn't it time you upgaded to CS2? ear.gif
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    I was not aware that CS won't run on a Macbook. Isn't it time you upgaded to CS2? ear.gif

Well, yes, I would love to. And will do that when I can. For now, I think I've figured something else out :)
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2006
    bygates wrote:
    For now, I think I've figured something else out :)
    ear.gif
  • Options
    edited July 29, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    ear.gif

cooltext.com ... not perfect, but will work for me for now :) You can see it here.
    Barb
    Smug since 2006
    SmugMug Help
    PhotoscapeDesign
  • Options
    brandofamilybrandofamily Registered Users Posts: 2,013 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2006
    bygates wrote:
    cooltext.com ... not perfect, but will work for me for now :) You can see it here.
    Barb, if you gave me the specifics of what you want
    font
    text size
    color
    width and height
    and exact wording, I'd be happy to creat you one in PSCS2 and e-mail it to you... send me either an e-mail or PM if you want my aid...
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    A couple bugs?
    WOW- this is great that you have added this feature - SUPER HAPPY!

I have found a few possible bugs in the system

If I use the "Internet Explorer" activeX up loader it won't let you upload a PNG

If you try to crop a PNG using the cropping tools it errors out.

Nothing serious as there are work arounds but thought you guys may like to know.

thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2006
    sherstone wrote:
    WOW- this is great that you have added this feature - SUPER HAPPY!

I have found a few possible bugs in the system

If I use the "Internet Explorer" activeX up loader it won't let you upload a PNG

Use the Standard Uploader, or the Universal Drag and Drop.
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    FWIW, instructions for making the watermark as .png are identical for PSP X as they are for PSCS.

ann
  • Options
    bhambham Registered Users Posts: 1,303 Major grins
    edited July 30, 2006
    Are png files supposed to look weird, except in original size?
    "A photo is like a hamburger. You can get one from McDonalds for $1, one from Chili's for $5, or one from Ruth's Chris for $15. You usually get what you pay for, but don't expect a Ruth's Chris burger at a McDonalds price, if you want that, go cook it yourself." - me
  • Options
    edited July 30, 2006
    bham wrote:
    Are png files supposed to look weird, except in original size?
    yes.
  • Options
    JBurtJBurt Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Possible bug
    When I go into control panel to install and proof my custom watermark it doesn't show on the sample image. I can set the fade but then have to put it on an actual image in a gallery to proof it then go back to adjust and try again. When I put it on my images it shows just fine. It just doesn't show on the proof sample. A minor inconvenience but...

Transparent PNG image.
    PC winXP - Firefox.
    Tis sometimes better to be a big fish in a small pond than to be shark bait.

http://jburtphotos.com
    http://jburtphotos.smugmug.com
    Basic but makin' changes
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    JBurt wrote:
    When I go into control panel to install and proof my custom watermark it doesn't show on the sample image. I can set the fade but then have to put it on an actual image in a gallery to proof it then go back to adjust and try again. When I put it on my images it shows just fine. It just doesn't show on the proof sample. A minor inconvenience but...

Transparent PNG image.
    PC winXP - Firefox.
    small pngs aren't being rendered in that view, but JT's already fixed that and we'll roll it out with the next patch. Shan't be long.
  • Options
    JBurtJBurt Registered Users Posts: 175 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    small pngs aren't being rendered in that view, but JT's already fixed that and we'll roll it out with the next patch. Shan't be long.
    Thanx Andy
    Tis sometimes better to be a big fish in a small pond than to be shark bait.

http://jburtphotos.com
    http://jburtphotos.smugmug.com
    Basic but makin' changes
  • Options
    johngjohng Registered Users Posts: 1,658 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    what am I doing wrong
    OK,

I created a watermark per the instructions - OK
    Uploaded the watermark and did the 'make into watermark', and it shows up on the test image just fine.

But when I try to add it to my images, nothing shows up in the images - they remain without a watermark if they had none before or with the 'proof' watermark if I try to replace. What am I doing wrong?

site = www.jagsportsphotos.com
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    johng wrote:
    OK,

I created a watermark per the instructions - OK
    Uploaded the watermark and did the 'make into watermark', and it shows up on the test image just fine.

But when I try to add it to my images, nothing shows up in the images - they remain without a watermark if they had none before or with the 'proof' watermark if I try to replace. What am I doing wrong?

site = www.jagsportsphotos.com
    Pls link me to the images you are trying to watermark - a gallery link, please :D

Are the images larger than 800px on the longest side?
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Pls link me to the images you are trying to watermark - a gallery link, please :D

Are the images larger than 800px on the longest side?

Here's the gallery:
    http://www.john-g.smugmug.com/gallery/1321146

Even if I select a large image (which is greater than 800px) I still don't see the watermark
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    johng wrote:
    Here's the gallery:
    http://www.john-g.smugmug.com/gallery/1321146

Even if I select a large image (which is greater than 800px) I still don't see the watermark

They're processing, standby.
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2006
    I'm also having trouble. I just tried applying a watermark to this gallery. The first 3 pictures are full size, but the WM doesn't show up - even after a couple of minutes. Strange is that the rest of the pictures that aren't full size pics show a 'photo not found' message instead of the pic.

Any idea?

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 31, 2006
    I'm also having trouble. I just tried applying a watermark to this gallery. The first 3 pictures are full size, but the WM doesn't show up - even after a couple of minutes. Strange is that the rest of the pictures that aren't full size pics show a 'photo not found' message instead of the pic.

Any idea?

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Checking, standby.
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    They're processing, standby.

Guys, we're experiencing a huge amount of new watermarking - and the new feature is really popular! Things should settle down soon as folks get photos re-watermarked.

More as I get it!
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Guys, we're experiencing a huge amount of new watermarking - and the new feature is really popular! Things should settle down soon as folks get photos re-watermarked.

More as I get it!
    Just wanted to bring some closure to this - things have been working great today. I've been able to add the watermark to galleries I wanted to without any undue delay.

Thanks again for the wonderful new features - I love the fact you're eliciting and reacting to your customers' requestsclap.gif
  • Options
    Mike LaneMike Lane Registered Users Posts: 7,106 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    I must say my first adventure in watermarking went swimmingly. Have a look see in this gallery.
    Y'all don't want to hear me, you just want to dance.

http://photos.mikelanestudios.com/
  • Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    Checking, standby.
    Did you see the 'photo not found' message? It's gone for me today, but looking at the image urls (no -1 added) embedded into the page it still hasn't tried reprocessing the pictures with my watermark.
    I applied watermarking to another gallery. No watermark either. Is anything wrong with my png?

Thanks,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    Ken CCPKen CCP Registered Users Posts: 24 Big grins
    edited August 2, 2006
    No longer Grumpy.. (for now )
    Andy wrote:

More as I get it!

I bet you are!!! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gifclap.gifthumb.gif
    As a grumpy person due to this one feature.. to sign on tonight and find that and digital downloads and back printing that is cool I will ask no questions I haven't tried anything yet

But you should have seen the Grin when I was customizing my gallery and came across the choose watermark option!!! :D

Thank you Thank You Thank You!!!