Options

Crescent moon Feet...

Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
edited September 20, 2007 in Other Cool Shots
I originally posted this in the assignment thread, but I thought it was cool enough to share here as well. Hope you think so, too...
I know this thread is a bit older, but I am just catching on to the assignment section of Dgrin. I saw the "feet" category a few days ago and really started thinking about how I might approach the subject. I wanted to push my creativity and not do a "normal" take on the subject. Whether or not it was successful, I will leave up to you all to decide. Here is what I came up with:

_DSC0322.JPG

Nikon D80
Nikkor 18 - 135 mm lens
ISO 100
f/32
focal length of 62 mm
shutter speed of 28.2 seconds in bulb mode
full manual settings.

To get the shot, I placed a black tee-shirt on the floor and rested my feet on the shirt. I took a small mag-light (small torch, for you on the other side of the pond) and wrapped the lamp end with a strip of aluminum foil to make a snoot of sorts, limiting the spill of the light. I had my camera on a tripod which was sitting between my legs as I was sitting on a chair. I darkened the room, then used the flash light as an AF assist light. Once focus was locked, I released the shutter with a wired remote shutter release device, and used the flashlight to just paint my toes with light, avoiding the rest of my feet. I moved the light back and forth across my toes for nearly thirty seconds. For PP, I used Picasa 2 to convert the image to B&W, add contrast, and tinted the image blue. And there you have it. So, how does it work for you?

-Howard

Comments

• Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    edited September 18, 2007
    Ya know, I get the cresent moon thing. Its working. Compostion, color. Feet is the challange. Neatly done piece of work for the way you grabbed the shot.

For some reason I am looking for sharper focus. But then would that take away from the effect. Couldn't quite say without seeing sharper nails and toe hair. Would also like to see all the toes tightly fitted together.

Very creative and thoughtful effort.
    Michael
  • Options
    Pixel PopperPixel Popper Registered Users Posts: 280 Major grins
    edited September 20, 2007
    DaddyO wrote:
    Ya know, I get the cresent moon thing. Its working. Compostion, color. Feet is the challange. Neatly done piece of work for the way you grabbed the shot.

For some reason I am looking for sharper focus. But then would that take away from the effect. Couldn't quite say without seeing sharper nails and toe hair. Would also like to see all the toes tightly fitted together.

Very creative and thoughtful effort.

Many thanks, DaddyO :D I know what you mean about the toes fitted together more tightly. I imagine there is a way to accomplish that it PS, but I am not yet skilled enough to figure it out. Perhaps someone would feel free to take a crack at it.

In the assignment thread where this was originally posted, I have several other shots and variations with different compositions and color schemes. I didn't import them all to this thread, but if you care to check them out, just click here.
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    Ehehehe very cool weldone
    your ideas are great
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    DaddyODaddyO Registered Users Posts: 4,466 Major grins
    I know very little about PS myself. :D

In Scott Kelbys book, The Photoshop Book for Digital Photographers, pg 94
    he describes a method for "Repairing Keystoning Without the Crop Tool.

There may be a way using this method. Could be something to play with.
    I know it works well straightening buildings.

Smudge tool on smaller divisions?
    Michael