Options

Alta -- Baldy Chutes -- Making it look steep

ruttrutt Registered Users Posts: 6,511 Major grins
edited February 27, 2005 in Sports
Mt. Baldy towers over the Alta and Snowbird ski areas. It's summit is about 500 feet above the top of the the Snowbird tram and the Sugarloaf chair lift in Alta. On the Alta side, there are a number of possible ski runs, mostly in steep and narrow chutes.

My daughter, son, and I climbed from the Alta side last Friday. It took my teenagers about 35 minutes to climb it and it took me more like 50 minutes. To be fair to myself, I was carrying the 1Dmkii with 24-70 2.8L and stopped to take pictures once on the way:

16571554-L.jpg

16590026-L.jpg

The view from the top is dizzying (note Salt Lake City almost 6,000 feet below through the mouth of Big Cottonwood Canyon.)

16590074-L.jpg

We descended Main Chute, which has a very steep entry, seems like a 20 foot wall when you are standing on top of it getting the courage to push off. But looking up at my son skiing there, it doesn't look as steep as it feels from the top:

16590081-L.jpg

I think this give a better idea:

16590112-L.jpg

Looking up Main Chute from the bottom:

16589128-L.jpg

What's going on here? How to convey the steepness of a place like this? I think I have a partial answer. Looking down is more scary than looking up. Down is where you are afraid to fall. The wall on top of Main Chute wouldn't be scary at all if it were sitting on top of flat snow. But looking over the wall, one is all too aware of what will happen if one falls. That's what sets off the acrophobia and gives the sense of how seep the place is.

There are plenty of great shots of airbourne skiers flying down walls. These scenes are mostly shot from the side. Looking up can be very dramatic, but I think it's harder to capture steepness that way.
If not now, when?

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    Great stuff, Rutt!

Photos always flatten stuff out, I notice it on motorcycle images too. Pity, it's really hard to capture steepness.

Still, you scared me, no way I'd do that! :yikes bowdown.gif
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    excellent set of ski shots! exposures spot on, crispness is just right, color beautiful thumb.gif

thanks for sharing these, very inspirational john.
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited February 27, 2005
    Makes me dizzy thinking about it :D

About the only thing I can think of to give scale would be a shot with the
    tram or something else people are familiar with (scale wise). Even then, it's
    hard to convey something with that large a scale.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    ian408 wrote:
    Makes me dizzy thinking about it :D

About the only thing I can think of to give scale would be a shot with the
    tram or something else people are familiar with (scale wise). Even then, it's
    hard to convey something with that large a scale.

Ian
    Thanks. I think that's probably why I like this shot:

16590112-S.jpg

The pine trees at the bottom of the run give it scale. The skier farther down the run gives it scale and gives scale to the trees at the bottom as well. This particular adventure didn't involve any such thing as a tram.

I have some more ski shots to share, but they deserve their own threads as they are different stories.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    You can always sit down and scoot down. Been there, done that, a long time ago.

anon
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    ginger_55 wrote:
    You can always sit down and scoot down. Been there, done that, a long time ago.

anon
    In places like this, that's a pretty dangerous thing to do. Your skis have have the power to stop you. Your nylon ski clothes do not.
    If not now, when?
  • Options
    ian408ian408 Administrators Posts: 21,907 moderator
    edited February 27, 2005
    rutt wrote:
    Thanks. I think that's probably why I like this shot:

The pine trees at the bottom of the run give it scale. The skier farther down the run gives it scale and gives scale to the trees at the bottom as well. This particular adventure didn't involve any such thing as a tram.

I have some more ski shots to share, but they deserve their own threads as they are different stories.
    I totally missed the second skier. And yes, that helps a lot.

Ian
    Moderator Journeys/Sports/Big Picture :: Need some help with dgrin?
  • Options
    wingerwinger Registered Users Posts: 694 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    I always wanted to do those off trail powerder runs, but I was always too chicken.

Great shots and like I said before, I love Utah and the sking out there is fantastic.
    (except that time I lost my ski in the powder and it took 10 people 45 minutes to find it)