Options

i'm considering a distagon wa lens for my canon dslr

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited March 12, 2005 in Cameras
wxwax wrote:
One hour and 15 minutes. Not bad. Andy has cool glass.

is what i'm looking at here

mainly i'd use it for landsacaping. requires a special mount adapter the info's here

anyhow, does anyone have experience with this?

Comments

• Options
    luckyrweluckyrwe Registered Users Posts: 952 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    even cooler YET
    andy wrote:
    Even cooler when it gets back in stock, some of theit stuff can be out for a while. ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    SeymoreSeymore Banned Posts: 1,539 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    Or... if he can't wait, Adorama has a better lens for him. HERE or HERE Looks like the prices are what Andy can deal with. :D
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    oh great
    Seymore wrote:
    Or... if he can't wait, Adorama has a better lens for him. HERE or HERE Looks like the prices are what Andy can deal with. :D

here's another guy who likes to shovel cash out of my wallet lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    andy wrote:
    And, you're the one advertising that you're gonna get more glass. :poke I'm just trying to :help!
    Anyhow... you're earning the big bucks shooting. thumb.gif I know you can afford it! :D
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    andy wrote:
    Sharp edge to edge, is that the appeal? Not a bummer giving up a full stop?
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Sharp edge to edge, is that the appeal? Not a bummer giving up a full stop?

it's special purpose, sid... landscaping on a tripod. i'd mostly be at f/8 and narrower. so my first criteria would be sharpness, yeah deal.gif

in fact, there's no af and no metering from the camera with this puppy, either.
  • Options
    fishfish Registered Users Posts: 2,950 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    too bad you can't use a 10-22 like us mere mortals. :D
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    andy wrote:
    it's special purpose, sid... landscaping on a tripod. i'd mostly be at f/8 and narrower. so my first criteria would be sharpness, yeah deal.gif

in fact, there's no af and no metering from the camera with this puppy, either.

Ooh, an interesting challenge. I know you'll get the exposure right (if not, you always have the histogram as a fallback.) But these cameras don't really seem to be built for manual focusing - that should get you attention.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    fish wrote:
    But why the hell does it cost nearly the same as 17-40 L ???? Becauses its new or is it hard to make a good wide lens ?

I see some people hack sawing a bit off it to fit it to EF cameras. May be handy advice when canon change ....AGAIN.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    fish wrote:

actually, i'm hoping that my 24-70L that i'm picking up tomw at b&h will be enough wide for me :D

i've seen some really really good stuff on that lens with the 1Ds Mark II.

here are some sharpness examples wow looks darn good.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    i think it is a challenge, sid!
    wxwax wrote:
    Ooh, an interesting challenge. I know you'll get the exposure right (if not, you always have the histogram as a fallback.) But these cameras don't really seem to be built for manual focusing - that should get you attention.

yer right. well, i'm hoping that 24mm on my ff camera will be enough, actually. i'm going to spend the next month researching the distagon wa choices out there, talk to some folks who use it, and then make a decision before yosemite-time....
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    andy wrote:
    yer right. well, i'm hoping that 24mm on my ff camera will be enough, actually. i'm going to spend the next month researching the distagon wa choices out there, talk to some folks who use it, and then make a decision before yosemite-time....
    Very interesting, thanks for posting this. I didn't know anything about distagon until this thread.
    Sid.
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    wxwax wrote:
    Very interesting, thanks for posting this. I didn't know anything about distagon until this thread.

i've actually just gotten a lead on an 18mm f/4 that looks darn good!
  • Options
    dkappdkapp Registered Users Posts: 985 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    I thought you could meter with any lens on the Canon? I know you have to have a pro Nikon body to meter non-CPU lenses, but for some reason I thought most every Canon could?

You may want to check into that again.

Dave
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    andy wrote:
    actually, i'm hoping that my 24-70L that i'm picking up tomw at b&h will be enough wide for me :D

i've seen some really really good stuff on that lens with the 1Ds Mark II.

here are some sharpness examples wow looks darn good.

the 24-70L is a stellar lens. i love mine. it's right in the same class as the 70-200/2.8L. and it really doesn't need IS. only you can tell if 24mm is going to be wide enough. it's wide (on a FF), but not UWA. have you considered the Canon 14/2.8L?
    "Consulting the rules of composition before taking a photograph, is like consulting the laws of gravity before going for a walk." - Edward Weston
    "The Edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over."-Hunter S.Thompson
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    I have never been 100% happy with my 24-70. it is ready for pickup at Canon however, hopefully it got tweaked for improvement.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    Andy, I thought you had the 16-35mm f/2.8? That won't do what you need? I am curious as to the application.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    Andy, I thought you had the 16-35mm f/2.8? That won't do what you need? I am curious as to the application.

i just sold it today. why? well, i use the 35 f/1.4L very very often. the 16-35 less and less these days. when i do mount the 16-35L, i shoot at roughly 20mm +/- a couple. and there is some softness in the corners, noticeable on my ff body. never saw it on the 20d - and it doesn't show up there at all on that body.

for tripod and landscaping work, the general agreement "out there" is that you cannot beat the zeiss distagon glass for sharpness and overall pic quality for the really wide angles.
  • Options
    Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    Ahhhhh. Ok, that clears it up :-)
    andy wrote:
    i just sold it today. why? well, i use the 35 f/1.4L very very often. the 16-35 less and less these days. when i do mount the 16-35L, i shoot at roughly 20mm +/- a couple. and there is some softness in the corners, noticeable on my ff body. never saw it on the 20d - and it doesn't show up there at all on that body.

for tripod and landscaping work, the general agreement "out there" is that you cannot beat the zeiss distagon glass for sharpness and overall pic quality for the really wide angles.
    Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    luckyrwe wrote:
    I have never been 100% happy with my 24-70. it is ready for pickup at Canon however, hopefully it got tweaked for improvement.
    lenses are funny that way. i was never happy with my 17-40/4L, so I sold it to ginger, and she's making amazing art with it. go figure ne_nau.gif
  • Options
    leebaseleebase Registered Users Posts: 630 Major grins
    edited February 27, 2005
    At that price....and f/4 is it really a better piece of glass than, say, the 16-35 f2.8 L?

Lee
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    leebase wrote:
    At that price....and f/4 is it really a better piece of glass than, say, the 16-35 f2.8 L?

Lee

many say it is. look at the mtfs, and also the pics! also, remember, i'm considering it for landscaping on a tripod so f/8 or f/11 is likely where i'll be. i have my 35 f/1.4 for lowlight work.

the 16-35L on the FF body is a little soft in the corners, the distagons apparantly blow it away.

will i ever stop buying? who knows? lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    andy wrote:
    the 16-35L on the FF body is a little soft in the corners, the distagons apparantly blow it away.

assuming you buy that contax lens, should we start a pool to see how long it is before you put it up for sale? mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited February 27, 2005
    fish wrote:
    assuming you buy that contax lens, should we start a pool to see how long it is before you put it up for sale? mwink.gif
    I'll give him 60 days... rolleyes1.gif:D
  • Options
    patch29patch29 Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,928 Major grins
    edited February 28, 2005
    andy wrote:

Hey don't leave me out. I am here to help too you should buy this ASAP. nod.gifdeal.gif
  • Options
    edited February 28, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Hey don't leave me out. I am here to help too you should buy this ASAP. nod.gifdeal.gif

man, that is one sweet piece of glass! i've been drooling over them for months now! crimony, you can drive a truck through that lens opening!

the going price on that lens, in good condition, has gone from about $2750 to now $4000 inside of a year.

lol3.gif
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    Andy you might want to buy that lens very soon, did you read this article on dpreview? Those lenses could go up in value. deal.gif
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    andy wrote:
    the going price on that lens, in good condition, has gone from about $2750 to now $4000 inside of a year.

lol3.gif

I hope the same happens with the 50/1.0. I will probably be selling mine in the next few weeks. I simply do not use it enough to justify keeping it.
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    Have I mentioned I want a 50/1.0? thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited March 3, 2005
    patch29 wrote:
    Andy you might want to buy that lens very soon, did you read this article on dpreview? Those lenses could go up in value. deal.gif

hmm interesting. hopefully, won't affect me too much. i'm looking now.

the 18 f/4 or the 21 f/2.8? i can't find any prices on the 21 f/2.8, patch yer good at this, lemme know if you find any ok?