Options

MacDaddy 3.0.3

devbobodevbobo Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 4,339 SmugMug Employee
edited March 21, 2011 in SmugMug Support
G'day Guys,

I have been working on a rewrite of the MacUploader for a few months, we are very close to releasing it. But I thought I would put it out here for people to play with.

New features include...

- Hierarchical album/cat/sub-cat menus
- Fully featured album creation/editing screen
- Automatic upload recovery from network interruption
- Support iPhoto Events (previously called Rolls)
- Growl notifications
- Lightroom export integration (instructions)

I would like to thanks a few dgrinners that helped out with beta testing and insightful feedback...
  • DavidTO
  • cabbey
  • rich56k
  • BradfordBenn
  • scoodog
Thanks guys :thumb:bow:clap

Update: version 3.0.3
- Added support for SmugVault
- Added support for automatic album creation with iPhoto (enabled in preferences)
- Fixed bug with exporting images from Lightroom, found by jogle.
- Officially renamed the app MacDaddy.

Update: it's officially released...get it here.
People using 3.0, will need to update manually...I had a bug in my update logic that wasn't working for minor revisions.

If you have any issues, please post them in this thread.

Cheers,

David
David Parry
SmugMug API Developer
My Photos

Comments

• Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    No, THANK YOU!!!!

This uploader is a huge improvement. Thanks, Dev!
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    CenterStageLoriCenterStageLori Registered Users Posts: 17 Big grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    I love it - thank you so much. Now if I only knew what " - Growl notifications" meant headscratch.gif
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 28, 2007
    I love it - thank you so much. Now if I only knew what " - Growl notifications" meant headscratch.gif
    http://www.growl.info/documentation/growl-how-does-it-work.php
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited August 28, 2007
    Growl notifications also means Baldy has been growling at how much engineering time we devoted to this. eek7.gif

Don't get me wrong, Dev did a great and efficient job and we love youz on the Mac, I just wish this benefits 90% of customers instead of 10%.
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Any chance of this uploader using your proxy settings from the System Pref's?

I use locations a lot and have different proxys for home, work and direct conections. OSX handles this very nicely and switches them automatically when I change location.

The old uploader was able to make new galleries but would give an error when uploading, the new uploader just tries over and over to make a connection and says "network interruption uploading paused"
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    colourboxcolourbox Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    1. Reproduced on 2 different Macs: If you maximize the window to full screen and click the Destination Gallery pop-up menu at the bottom of the dialog box, the menu appears way up at the top edge of the screen.

2. Otherwise, seems to work great without the problems seen in the older ones.

Baldy wrote:
    Don't get me wrong, Dev did a great and efficient job and we love youz on the Mac, I just wish this benefits 90% of customers instead of 10%.
    It might be a lot more than 10% real soon now.

4. If time devoted to Mac support is an issue, I guess Keychain integration for the login isn't coming soon. No big deal, it would just save a step with each new version.

5. I use Growl for lots of things...nice bonus!
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2007
    jogle wrote:
    Any chance of this uploader using your proxy settings from the System Pref's?

I use locations a lot and have different proxys for home, work and direct conections. OSX handles this very nicely and switches them automatically when I change location.

The old uploader was able to make new galleries but would give an error when uploading, the new uploader just tries over and over to make a connection and says "network interruption uploading paused"

G'day Jogle,

I will see what I can work out.

Does anything work ? Or is it only uploading that doesn't work ?

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    1. Reproduced on 2 different Macs: If you maximize the window to full screen and click the Destination Gallery pop-up menu at the bottom of the dialog box, the menu appears way up at the top edge of the screen.
    That's weird, one problem with using large monitors lol3.gif
    colourbox wrote:
    4. If time devoted to Mac support is an issue, I guess Keychain integration for the login isn't coming soon. No big deal, it would just save a step with each new version.
    I don't believe that devoting time to mac support is the issue, it's rather that it had to be rewritten from scratch. I will add Keychain integration to my list of features to look at for the next release.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    joglejogle Registered Users Posts: 422 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    G'day Jogle,

I will see what I can work out.

Does anything work ? Or is it only uploading that doesn't work ?

Cheers,

David

Hi David, Just like the last one, I can create a new gallery (which shows up when I go to my smugmug page in a browser) but I can't upload to that gallery or any other.
    jamesOgle photography
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]"The single most important component of a camera is the twelve inches behind it." -A.Adams[/FONT]
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2007
    I forgot to say one more thing: "Thank you, this rocks."

It really is a step up.
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2007
    colourbox wrote:
    I forgot to say one more thing: "Thank you, this rocks."

It really is a step up.

Thanks colorbox thumb.gif
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    photobanksphotobanks Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    - Lightroom export integration

Hello,

Any chance of Aperture export integration as well. I know there is already a plug-in for Aperture, I just think this would be an improvement on it.

Michael
    wings.gifclap.gifwings.gif :ivar wings.gif
    Michael Banks

www.banksy.me.uk - main website
    http://galleries.banksy.me.uk - smugmug site
  • Options
    timnosenzotimnosenzo Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    This looks great, thank you!!

And I agree with the poster above--Aperture integration would be cool. :)
  • Options
    edited August 29, 2007
    The lightroom integration was something that I did at the very last minute, it was quite simple and straightforward to do.

The main push was to get a working version out...due to issues with the previous versions.

I will download aperture and have a play.

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    Baldy wrote:
    Growl notifications also means Baldy has been growling at how much engineering time we devoted to this. eek7.gif

Yes, but it benefits the best 10% :D
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    photobanksphotobanks Registered Users Posts: 182 Major grins
    edited August 29, 2007
    devbobo wrote:

Top bloke!! Hope you can get it working without too much hastle.

Michael
    clap.gifthumb.gif :ivar wings.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Michael Banks

www.banksy.me.uk - main website
    http://galleries.banksy.me.uk - smugmug site
  • Options
    specialagentdalespecialagentdale Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    Upon launch I get the following error:

Error
    stream had too few bytes

It doesnt seem to be a big deal, I click "OK", and everything works fine. Running 10.4.10 on PowerPC G5.

Another thing, after using the uploader to create a new gallery (works great,) uploads to that gallery do not appear. It seems I must restart the uploader before I can successfully upload to the newly created gallery.

I also tested mpg uploads - they don't work :cry. Mpg files seems to upload fine, but never appear in the gallery. Nothing in the upload log.

Other than that, no problems. Nested gallery menu is great. Nice work.

...and yes, we are the best 10%. What self respecting photog could use windoze? :smooch
  • Options
    specialagentdalespecialagentdale Registered Users Posts: 20 Big grins
    edited September 1, 2007
    So, I spoke too soon.

uploading to new galleries works fine without a restart. It just took a few minutes for the image to appear in the gallery.

mpg upload works as well! Again, it just took a while for the thumbs to appear, and 'process.'

sorry for jumping the gun. all in all a great little uploader. It will be my new default. I'm stoked to have images and mpgs working within the same uploader. wings.gif
  • Options
    edited September 2, 2007
    Error
    stream had too few bytes

If people are getting this error message, it's an issue related to the com.apple.iApps.plist file, to resolve this follow the step below.

1. Shutdown iPhoto, iTunes etc.
    2. Search for com.apple.iApps.plist
    3. Make a backup of this file
    4. Delete all copies (not including the backed up one)
    5. Run iPhoto, the plist file will be recreated.
    6. Now run the MacUploader, and the error message should be gone.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    edited September 4, 2007
    bump...see original post.
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos
  • Options
    JoshFinkJoshFink Registered Users Posts: 75 Big grins
    edited September 6, 2007
    photobanks wrote:
    Hello,

Any chance of Aperture export integration as well. I know there is already a plug-in for Aperture, I just think this would be an improvement on it.

Thanks for the great tool... I 3rd (or 4th) the motion for Aperture integration. In the meantime I'll enjoy this.

Josh
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited September 11, 2007
    DavidTO wrote:
    No, THANK YOU!!!!

This uploader is a huge improvement. Thanks, Dev!

Same here! clap.gif
    Baldy wrote:

Wow, mac users are only 10% of the smugmug user base?! eek7.gif I'd have expected most of the pros to be on macs.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited September 11, 2007
    cabbey wrote:
    Same here! clap.gif

Wow, mac users are only 10% of the smugmug user base?! eek7.gif I'd have expected most of the pros to be on macs.
    Is there another platform to do photography on? lol3.gif

Notice Baldy said, of all customers :)
  • Options
    cabbeycabbey Registered Users Posts: 1,053 Major grins
    edited September 12, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    Is there another platform to do photography on? lol3.gif

Tripods make pretty good platforms, or those nifty bags of rice that you can mold and shape to just about any surface.

Oh, you meant computing platform... uhm, no, not really. ;)
    Notice Baldy said, of all customers :)

True, I guess there's a couple hundred of us regular users for every power user, and probably a hundred or so of them for every one of your pro users....

hmm... time for some digging.... ok found a couple versions of the market share numbers, most of them are ~6-9 months out of date, but they all show a trend, and if it is correct, they should have hit 7% market share by now. wow. that's sad. I guess if mac users are "only" 10% of smugmug's user base, then given the share they have of the general market that tells us that mac users know quality, and so more of them tend to favour smug than the other photo sharing sites. :D

Yeah, that's the ticket.
    SmugMug Sorcerer - Engineering Team Champion for Commerce, Finance, Security, and Data Support
    http://wall-art.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited September 13, 2007
    Be careful about assuming market share based on general numbers. The general numbers include office towers ordering semi trucks full of generic PCs. Macs are just a blip there, but in the creative markets, are much higher.

This article, which is less than a year old, and is relevant to our interests, posits that the Mac may represent up to 40% of Adobe's creative application revenues. Even if you dilute it throughout all of Adobe (much of Adobe revenue comes not from photography, but from Acrobat sold into corporate and government), it still comes out to 20%. The specific market makes a difference, again. (The devil's advocate would point out that Apple used to bring Adobe more than 50% of its revenue back in the early 90s.)
    About 20% of Adobe’s total revenue comes from the Macintosh platform, MacMillan says. The rest comes from software for Microsoft’s (NASDAQ:MSFT - News) Windows PC operating system. But the Mac share could be about 40% for the creative solution segment of Adobe’s business, he says.

Casually observing home and educational users down at the local coffee shops, one would have to conclude that Apple sells 1 of every 2 laptops. That's not a reliable number either, but shows how specific markets change the numbers dramatically. (Actually, some say Apple now sells more than one of every six laptops, which works out to 18-20% of that market.) I don't think Smugmug would want to base their assumptions on the generic office-tower diluted market share of 5-7% that everybody quotes, and which may be irrelevant here.
  • Options
    afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited September 16, 2007
    devbobo wrote:
    The lightroom integration was something that I did at the very last minute, it was quite simple and straightforward to do.

The main push was to get a working version out...due to issues with the previous versions.

Cheers,

David

So glad to have come accross this newest version!! Version 2 stopped working for me at some point, and this one seems to work perfecly.

Where is the lightroom integration that you mention above? I use lightroom and would be thrilled to be able to incorporate the uploader into my workflow.

Thanks again!!!!
  • Options
    afarber wrote:
    So glad to have come accross this newest version!! Version 2 stopped working for me at some point, and this one seems to work perfecly.

Where is the lightroom integration that you mention above? I use lightroom and would be thrilled to be able to incorporate the uploader into my workflow.

Thanks again!!!!
    Ask and ye shall receive:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1100284

scroll to the bottom of that page.
  • Options
    afarberafarber Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    Perfect! Thanks. Now, if only I had read the OP of this thread more cafefully I wouldn't have had to ask. Thanks, Andy!
    Andy wrote:
    Ask and ye shall receive:

http://dgrin.smugmug.com/gallery/1100284

scroll to the bottom of that page.
  • Options
    epettiepetti Registered Users Posts: 55 Big grins
    edited September 17, 2007
    One comment on the Uploader (the actual thread) and one on the market share stuff. For the Uploader I love it! Also, I love that it can disable the screensaver when uploading. One request there -- is it possible to just disable the screensaver while uploading? I often upload overnight or when I'm gone for the day, and I would want the screensaver disabled while it's actually uploading, but then to be re-enabled when it's done uploading but while still open.

As for market share, also keep in mind that it represents the share of new machines sold. But there is a much higher turn around in PCs in terms of how often they are replaced than for Mac owners who tend to replace their machines much less often. I forget the exact numbers which I did read once a long time ago, but it translates once again into a far higher percent of people who actually own Macs than you would get from the market share numbers alone.

Ernie

colourbox wrote:
    Be careful about assuming market share based on general numbers. The general numbers include office towers ordering semi trucks full of generic PCs. Macs are just a blip there, but in the creative markets, are much higher.

This article, which is less than a year old, and is relevant to our interests, posits that the Mac may represent up to 40% of Adobe's creative application revenues. Even if you dilute it throughout all of Adobe (much of Adobe revenue comes not from photography, but from Acrobat sold into corporate and government), it still comes out to 20%. The specific market makes a difference, again. (The devil's advocate would point out that Apple used to bring Adobe more than 50% of its revenue back in the early 90s.)

Casually observing home and educational users down at the local coffee shops, one would have to conclude that Apple sells 1 of every 2 laptops. That's not a reliable number either, but shows how specific markets change the numbers dramatically. (Actually, some say Apple now sells more than one of every six laptops, which works out to 18-20% of that market.) I don't think Smugmug would want to base their assumptions on the generic office-tower diluted market share of 5-7% that everybody quotes, and which may be irrelevant here.
  • Options
    edited September 17, 2007
    epetti wrote:
    One request there -- is it possible to just disable the screensaver while uploading? I often upload overnight or when I'm gone for the day, and I would want the screensaver disabled while it's actually uploading, but then to be re-enabled when it's done uploading but while still open.

G'day Ernie,

This is how it currently works thumb.gif

Cheers,

David
    David Parry
    SmugMug API Developer
    My Photos