Options

LCD Recommendations, please

photomagicphotomagic Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
edited August 23, 2007 in Digital Darkroom
Hi,

I need to get a LCD monitor for editing photos. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but want a quality monitor. I have been using the Viewsonic Ultra Brite A90f+ CRT monitor and have been very pleased with it over the last 4 years.

Any recommendations would be great. I use a PC/Windows if that makes a difference.

Thank you all.

Comments

• Options
    Ric GrupeRic Grupe Registered Users Posts: 9,522 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    photomagic wrote:
    Hi,

I need to get a LCD monitor for editing photos. I don't want to spend a lot of money, but want a quality monitor. I have been using the Viewsonic Ultra Brite A90f+ CRT monitor and have been very pleased with it over the last 4 years.

Any recommendations would be great. I use a PC/Windows if that makes a difference.

Thank you all.
    A good read here.
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    Ric Grupe wrote:
    A good read here.

Lots of key basic info there.

What is your $$$ Budget??

This is a subject that can be beat to death. If you are looking for a decent monitor and can afford $400USD then you will be able to obtain a monitor that uses either a S-IPS or a S-PVA panel. Under $350 and you're almost certainly not going to find anything new-ish that has S-IPS or S-PVA. Most monitors under $350 use TN panels.

Two main issues with TN panels:
    1. the colour/gamma shifts as your viewpoint moves. Seen from below, most TN panels darken. Wasn't too much of an issue with 17" 4:3 panels but with the new 22" wide screen 16:10 panels, when your nose is up to the screen pixel peeping, the left and right side of center can be seen to have a shift.
    2. most TN panels are 6 bit. To get the full colour gamut they have to interpolate colour to 8 bit. This can produce banding in lesser quality units. You'll want true 8 bit as a minimum. Consider that the top end monitors used by graphic artists are 12bit or higher (I think I recall a review and debate on the merit of a 14bit panel).

If you have some time to read threads, there is a ton on this subject in the dpreview forums.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=%22s-ips%22+site%3Aforums.dpreview.com&btnG=Search&meta=

I use a Samsung 215TW calibrated with a Spyder2PRO. OK for me the hobbyist. It is a true 8 bit panel and S-PVA as the Anands blog mentionned.

I've viewed this next monitor and it has a gorgeous image. AS-IPS and 8 bit.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824002319

A heck of a deal for $399 (after mail in rebate). The only knock against it is that its' front panel is very reflective but in a darkened room that should not be an issue.
  • Options
    Ken LappKen Lapp Registered Users Posts: 123 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    photomagic wrote:
    Hi,

Thank you all.

I am now using the Dell UltraSharp 2407WFP-HC 24 Widescreen LCD, calibrated with the Huey. This monitor has a great image and it is nice having the extra real estate when working with photos.
    Ken Lapp, White Hawk Images
    Portrait, Wedding & Event Photography

• Options
    PoseidonPoseidon Registered Users Posts: 504 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2007
    Is there a way to shop by screen type? I want a new monitor, and I am considering a (gasp) DELL, 24 or 30" how do I know????

My 204B's are disappointing now that I have a good printer and a monitor calibrating tool. Ideally 1 screen is better for me then dual.

Hopefully this isn't hijacking...
    Mike LaPorte
    Perfect Pix
  • Options
    NewsyNewsy Registered Users Posts: 605 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    Poseidon wrote:
    Is there a way to shop by screen type? I want a new monitor, and I am considering a (gasp) DELL, 24 or 30" how do I know????

You can search by panel type at the following:

http://www.flatpanels.dk/panels.php

OR here:
    http://www.prad.de/en/guide/ausstattung_auswahl.html

For instance, the HP 30" has a model number with 3065 in it. Search on "3065" on the flatpanels.dk site gives you nothing as they are always a little behind newly introduced monitors.

However, the prad.de site gives you three HP S-IPS monitors one of which is the LP3065.

If you search for the Dell 3007 on the flatpanel.de site it will show you this:

"Dell 3007WFP (*) (widescreen) has a 30 inch 14 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM300W01) panel."

Then do a search on the panel "LM300W01"....

Dell 3007WFP (*) (widescreen) has a 30 inch 14 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM300W01) panel.

Apple M9179 (Widescreen) has a 30 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM300W01) panel.

BenQ FP301W (widescreen) has a 30 inch 8 ms (g2g) S-IPS (LG.Philips LM300W01) panel.

LG L3010T has a 30 inch 16 ms S-IPS (LG.Philips LM300W01) panel.
  • Options
    photomagicphotomagic Registered Users Posts: 257 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2007
    Thank you all for your info. I really appreciate it. I have visited the links and learned a lot from them.

I don't want to spend more than $400-$500. Any suggestions for that price range?

I did look at some panels, but couldn't find out if they were TN or S-IPS, etc.

Don't want to have to spend more than necessary.

Thanks!! :)