Options

o.k., i give up!! how do i........

davidpricedavidprice Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited February 24, 2006 in SmugMug Support
How can we arrange the order of our categories? I understand the gallery order within the categorie, and the picture order within the gallery but I KAINT figure out how to move the categories around. :cry wah!

Help please?

Thanks,
David

Comments

• Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2005
    davidprice wrote:
    How can we arrange the order of our categories? I understand the gallery order within the categorie, and the picture order within the gallery but I KAINT figure out how to move the categories around. :cry wah!

Help please?

Thanks,
    David
    I'm stuck as well headscratch.gif . Let me know if you figure it out.
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    {JT}{JT} Registered Users Posts: 1,016 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    Sorry guys, but there currently there is no way to arrange categories, I will add it to the list though of features to consider.
  • Options
    BenBen Vanilla Admin Posts: 513 SmugMug Employee
    edited February 25, 2005
    {JT} wrote:
    Sorry guys, but there currently there is no way to arrange categories, I will add it to the list though of features to consider.
    What JT really means to say is that there is no EASY way to arrange categories. Right JT? rolleyes1.gif

The order of the categories is determined by the overall order of the galleries in those categories. So if you are auto-sorting by position, then go to "Organize Galleries by Position" on your homepage (not in any categories, as you want all the galleries listed) and shuffle them around in the rough order you want. The category you want in the first position should have one of its galleries in that position. Clear as mud?

So by putting the galleries in the right order, the categories fall into order.
    Smug since 2003
  • Options
    davidpricedavidprice Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited February 25, 2005
    Ben wrote:
    What JT really means to say is that there is no EASY way to arrange categories. Right JT? rolleyes1.gif

The order of the categories is determined by the overall order of the galleries in those categories. So if you are auto-sorting by position, then go to "Organize Galleries by Position" on your homepage (not in any categories, as you want all the galleries listed) and shuffle them around in the rough order you want. The category you want in the first position should have one of its galleries in that position. Clear as mud?

So by putting the galleries in the right order, the categories fall into order.
    clap.gif:): :D Thanks Jt and Ben! I got it, it works, can line 'em up just like you said. Not exactly intuitive but I'm happy now.

Thomas, have you tired it yet? Did you make it work? Haha, I just love it when a plan comes together!

Thanks,
    David
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited February 25, 2005
    Clear as mud. :D

But I think that explains why, to start a new category, I have to click on 'Start a New Gallery'. Very confusing to me.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    swcolleenswcolleen Registered Users Posts: 158 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    I think I am more confused than ever-I have tried reading a bunch of threads about arranging categories but I get more confused with each one.

I have clicked on the arrange link on the homepage-where I believe it lets me arrange the categories that are shown on the homepage (I could be wrong my thoughts here and that could be my problem!) Anyway...everytime I "arrange it" it looks like I want...UNTIL I add new photos or do anything in a gallery and it moves that category to the top again-is there a way to NOT have that happen??

Here is my site: cb-morningglory.smugmug.com and the look I am hoping for is to have two galleries at the top (photography and colleen and ben) and then 2006, 2005, 2004, etc with a few other odds and end categories at the end.

Hopefully this makes sense and someone can advise me???

Thanks!!
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    swcolleen wrote:
    Hopefully this makes sense and someone can advise me???

Thanks!!

headscratch.gif I just went to your site and it looks as if you have done it already. thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited February 23, 2006
    Andy wrote:
    headscratch.gif I just went to your site and it looks as if you have done it already. thumb.gif

thanks Andy but I adjusted it a little while ago and haven't updated things. I just uploaded a few pics to test my theory-would you mind looking again and see if it looks different, such as one of the categories from the bottom being at the top??? maybe its just my view....

based on what i think is happening...one category will now be at the top even though I have it set to arrange....it looks like it in my view:)
  • Options
    DanielBDanielB Registered Users Posts: 2,362 Major grins
    edited February 23, 2006
    if you are in a category, with alot of sub-categories. like mine is.. then all you have to do is click the part that says

Sort sub-categories: arrange

should be right under the part that says *for mine*

Daniel Bauer (StandOutPhoto) > Gallery *thats my main category w/ my
    sub-categories in it*

after that i can arrange the sub-categories in any which order i wantthumb.gif
    Daniel Bauer
    smugmug: www.StandOutphoto.smugmug.com

• Options
    edited February 24, 2006
    the problem I am having is that I want to arrange the Categories on the main page-I am not as concerned with the sub categories at this point.

But what is happening is...I click arrange....I arrange....i go back and it looks good. Then I upload photos to a random album in a category and then the homepage MOVES the one I added to to the top-even though I have it set to arrange not most recent....????? ne_nau.gif

does this make sense???
  • Options
    NikonGirlNikonGirl Registered Users Posts: 204 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    swcolleen - this makes perfect sense to me because this happens to me all the time.
    I set it to "arrange", but the minute I upload photos, the "most recent" always goes to the top.

ne_nau.gif

• Options
    edited February 24, 2006
    NikonGirl wrote:
    swcolleen - this makes perfect sense to me because this happens to me all the time.
    I set it to "arrange", but the minute I upload photos, the "most recent" always goes to the top.

ne_nau.gif

At least I know I am not alone a nd going crazy....anyone know how to fix this? or if it is even fixable??
  • Options
    dmcdmc Registered Users Posts: 427 Major grins
    edited February 24, 2006
    swcolleen wrote:
    At least I know I am not alone a nd going crazy....anyone know how to fix this? or if it is even fixable??

when you create new galleries, they will affect the order of the categories.

(long explanation of why could be put here, but nahrolleyes1.gif )

You have to "arrange" the categories after you are done creating new galleries. At least you CAN "arrange" categories easily now...
  • Options
    edited February 24, 2006
    dmc wrote:
    when you create new galleries, they will affect the order of the categories.

(long explanation of why could be put here, but nahrolleyes1.gif )

You have to "arrange" the categories after you are done creating new galleries. At least you CAN "arrange" categories easily now...

so then basically anytime I add photos I have to re-arrange my homepage categories??? That doesn't make me happy....eek7.gif I add pics all the time. What is the point of being able to arrange categories if it defaults back to "by most recently added" everytime?? is there ANY way around this???