Options

Not in the Semifinal? Want a head start on the next qualifying round?

Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
edited August 27, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
This is a single experiment that may or may not be repeated. For those not in the semifinal but want to start toying with the theme for the next round:

Man or Machine

Lets see what a bit of extra time can yield :D
Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

Comments

• Options
    GreensquaredGreensquared Registered Users Posts: 2,115 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    Oooo, interesting twist!

Just to clarify, can the entries be shot now, or just giving extra time to formulate ideas?
    Emily
    Psalm 62:5-6

• Options
    edited August 11, 2007
    Ahh good question. The rules for shooting times will be expanded from today to the end of the qualifying round. So you get about an extra week to plan or shoot.

There is no entry thread however until after the semifinal is over. So experiment all you want until next week.
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    eoren1eoren1 Registered Users Posts: 2,391 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    This is a single experiment that may or may not be repeated. For those not in the semifinal but want to start toying with the theme for the next round:

Man or Machine

Darnit Shay I was enjoying my two weeks off......
  • Options
    davevdavev Registered Users Posts: 3,118 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2007
    I sure wish I'd have brought a better lens to the museum today.

182890970-L.jpg
    dave.

Basking in the shadows of yesterday's triumphs'.
  • Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    niiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiice.
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    Define "man"

Man or Machine

Is "man" limited to a human male over the age of 17? :D
  • Options
    cdhamescdhames Registered Users Posts: 128 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    that's really an interesting topic. now how photoshopped exactly can this project be before a picture gets rejected for being too over the top?
    SM Page: cdhames.smugmug.com
    Referral: ( wXtCbmTTvmJSE )
  • Options
    peterst6906peterst6906 Registered Users Posts: 267 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    cdhames wrote:
    that's really an interesting topic. now how photoshopped exactly can this project be before a picture gets rejected for being too over the top?

The official word is here, although it's entirely possible that Shay will jump in here with an additional answer as well, in which case, disegard my post:

http://www.dgrin.com/showpost.php?p=501268&postcount=16

Regards,

Peter
    It's not my camera's fault, I'm just visually illiterate
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2007
    Dee wrote:

I would answer this way. Take the two themes together, Man or Machine. They are opposites. In the one direction you have metal, gears, and energy, on the other you have people, flesh, and blood. How you want to further refine that is open to interpretation, Man or Machine would be the spirirt of the theme.
  • Options
    Xia_KeXia_Ke Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    Dee wrote:

http://www.visualthesaurus.com/?word=man&ad=mwcom.dict.txt1 thumb.gif
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

"Challenge yourself! You will have days of discouragement and days of success, but the only way to fail, is to quit!" - Emily (Greensquared)
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2007
    cdhames wrote:
    There are no rules on how much is too much, but do remember this is a photo contest, so if it starts to look like a painting or cartoon, you may have a tough sell unless it is freakin' awesome.

Consider salt, it tastes good up until the point you put too much in a dish, then the food become inedible. The closer you get to that fine line, the more sensitive palettes will begin to object.
  • Options
    pyroPrints.compyroPrints.com Registered Users Posts: 1,383 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    There are no rules on how much is too much, but do remember this is a photo contest, so if it starts to look like a painting or cartoon, you may have a tough sell unless it is freakin' awesome.

Consider salt, it tastes good up until the point you put too much in a dish, then the food become inedible. The closer you get to that fine line, the more sensitive palettes will begin to object.

What's with all the food analogies lately? You hungry? If you want I'll make you some burgers or something?

rolleyes1.gif
    pyroPrints.com (my little t-shirt shop)
    pyroPrints.com/5819572 The Photo Section
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2007
    What's with all the food analogies lately? You hungry? If you want I'll make you some burgers or something?

rolleyes1.gif

Oh no, I have descended into "broken record" territory!
    Shay's analogy themes for next week:
    Clothing or Body Parts

rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    I'm certainly NOT going to complain that we now know the themes for the next round.

but... I am already not getting enough sleep! :oogle

Thanks for giving all of us a head start this is an awsome set of themes!!!! clap.gif
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2007
    sherstone wrote:
    I'm certainly NOT going to complain that we now know the themes for the next round.

but... I am already not getting enough sleep! :oogle

Thanks for giving all of us a head start this is an awsome set of themes!!!! clap.gif

Hey, this thread is not for you, the thread is for those NOT in the semifinal mwink.gif
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    Hey, this thread is not for you, the thread is for those NOT in the semifinal mwink.gif

alrighty....

I'll just pretend I did not see this thread then, rolleyes1.gif

... and act surprised when you officially announce them mwink.gif
  • Options
    Xia_KeXia_Ke Registered Users Posts: 90 Big grins
    edited August 12, 2007

Are we officially barred from shooting this theme until it begins? ne_nau.gif
    Aaron Lehoux

My Gallery

"Challenge yourself! You will have days of discouragement and days of success, but the only way to fail, is to quit!" - Emily (Greensquared)
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2007
    Xia_Ke wrote:
    Are we officially barred from shooting this theme until it begins? ne_nau.gif
    Of course not! But if a semifinalist feels pressured, stressed, or out of time, they have been warned to not look at this sweet sweet theme-y goodness mwink.gif
  • Options
    jwearjwear Registered Users Posts: 8,005 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2007
    I have a ?? no ---a comment, how am I to do man & machine ?? dress someone up in feathers or caption [lot of one none of the other and there is a bird in that tree ?? no that one ?? well there is a bird in there ! Shay you do not make it easy
    Jeff W

“PHOTOGRAPHY IS THE ‘JAZZ’ FOR THE EYES…”

http://jwear.smugmug.com/
  • Options
    edited August 12, 2007
    Perhaps this is a good opportunity to add another "color" to your pallet? Another tool in your box? An extra genre in your universe? ;-)
  • Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    Start date for non-SF entries
    Just a quick clarification question. Non-SF qualifiers can submit photos dated August 11 through the normal close of this round per this post? Is that correct?
  • Options
    DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited August 27, 2007
    dlscott56 wrote:
    Just a quick clarification question. Non-SF qualifiers can submit photos dated August 11 through the normal close of this round per this post? Is that correct?
    That's correct.

And to cause even less confusion, I've merged your post into that very same thread. I've also added a little note to the LPS11 entry thread.
    thumb.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

• Options
    dlscott56dlscott56 Registered Users Posts: 1,324 Major grins
    edited August 27, 2007
    DoctorIt wrote:
    That's correct.

And to cause even less confusion, I've merged your post into that very same thread. I've also added a little note to the LPS11 entry thread.
    thumb.gif

Thanks Erik