Options

Titles and themes, they don't mix

Shay StephensShay Stephens Registered Users Posts: 3,165 Major grins
edited August 2, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
Just a reminder that when choosing a title for your work, choose one that does not have the words of the theme anywhere in it. It is horribly repetitious and shows a lack of creativity in an otherwise wonderful photo.

For example, let's say the theme was Sunshine or Gloom and we wound up with a gallery like this:
Gloomy sunshine
Sunshiny gloom
Gloom is for the birds
Sunshine follies
Sun sun sun
Shiny sun
Gloomy gloom
Glom on to the gloom
Gloom with a bit of sunshine
There is gloom all around but I hope one day sunshine will once again shine on my gloomy path.

Kind of boring because the titles never get past what you are looking at. Ya, we all know the theme, no need to remind us. So put some effort into coming up with a title that adds to the photo. Make it complementary to the theme, not just an obligatory afterthought. Produce the whole package as if the title were gift wrapping for the photo. Would you wrap a gift with paper that spelled out what was inside the package? Would you create a book that told the potential reader "who done it" right on the cover? Why open the book?

Make your title instead the shiny lure to the photo. Get them hooked before they even see the photo. You never know, by contemplating the title, you may also spot a weakness in the photo as you work to give it a meaningful title. That can lead to making the photo better, knowing what you need to do to do it better next, or a way to change direction with the title to give it a better fit.
Creator of Dgrin's "Last Photographer Standing" contest
"Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie

Comments

• Options
    Tessa HDTessa HD Registered Users Posts: 852 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    will those be our next themes?:D
    Love to dream, and dream in color.

www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com
    www.printandportfolio.com
    This summer's wilderness photography project: www.tessa-hd.smugmug.com/gallery/3172341
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    Aimed at me, I presume.
    But'd you been there to hear her croon
    To see in her eyes the pending impugn....
    So alas, I've changed my tune!
    :gone
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2007
    HoofClix wrote:
    Aimed at me, I presume.

If you had the theme in your title, yes, I saw a few and didn't pay attention to who mwink.gif
    "Failure is feedback. And feedback is the breakfast of champions." - fortune cookie
  • Options
    edited August 1, 2007
    Tessa HD wrote:
    will those be our next themes?:D

Hehehe I actually had to try and think of one that would not be used. Had a few idea but rejected them. Then the gloomy gloom popped up and I knew I had a good working example hehehe
  • Options
    HoofClixHoofClix Registered Users Posts: 1,156 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    If you had the theme in your title, yes, I saw a few and didn't pay attention to who mwink.gif
    No problem.. I'm just being a [EMAIL="smart@$$"]smart@$$[/EMAIL]!!
    Mark
    www.HoofClix.com / Personal Facebook / Facebook Page
    and I do believe its true.. that there are roads left in both of our shoes..
  • Options
    BistiArtBistiArt Registered Users Posts: 307 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    Emotive Titles
    Make your title instead the shiny lure to the photo. Get them hooked before they even see the photo. You never know, by contemplating the title, you may also spot a weakness in the photo as you work to give it a meaningful title. That can lead to making the photo better, knowing what you need to do to do it better next, or a way to change direction with the title to give it a better fit.

I recently had an excellent photographer say of my website that he found my titles "Emotive".

So, I looked Emotive up on Bartleby...

emotional, emotive (adjs.)

"Each adjective refers to the emotions, but differently. Emotional has a general sense of “having to do with the emotions,” but it has unique specialized senses as well, including “displaying emotions strongly or easily, stimulating emotional displays, and appealing directly to people’s emotions,” as in The witness was very emotional, weeping one minute, giggling the next and The first speaker spoke quietly and matter-of-factly, but the second was emotional throughout. Emotive is a more abstract term, referring generally to anything having to do with emotion or the emotions: The emotive use of language is the attempt to use words to appeal to people’s emotions. The terms overlap only in their generic senses."

For me, the last italicized sentence seems to captures Shay's point. Let's try some Texas corral dust
    "Put your title into just a few words which capture peoples emotions...!"

What say you?
    Joe

[FONT=&quot]As You Think, So Shall You BE... Rumi, 13th Century Persian Poet

Award-Winning Photography, Workshop Instructor, Storyteller, Writer

[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Blog: [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Pathways of Light[/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] Workshops: Creating Fine Art Magic[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    Book: Paths of Light [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]Workshops: 2011 Lightroom 3 Workshops
    [/FONT][FONT=&quot]Galleries, Bisti Art
    [/FONT]
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    So put some effort into coming up with a title that adds to the photo. Make it complementary to the theme, not just an obligatory afterthought. Produce the whole package as if the title were gift wrapping for the photo. Would you wrap a gift with paper that spelled out what was inside the package? Would you create a book that told the potential reader "who done it" right on the cover? Why open the book?

Make your title instead the shiny lure to the photo. Get them hooked before they even see the photo.

Funny that you posted this Shay. I hadn't seen it yet when I was reading this current thread in the Whipping Post, and yet the comments in that one made me think about some of the odd titles (not just redundant) in the LPS series. Sometimes they seem like "Hello? Just so you don't miss my point I am going to whack you over the head" with the title.

One problem with that has been well spoken on in other posts in this forum as it relates to geopolitical comments. Another is the emotions & emotive comment above - some posters seem to include their emotional response to the image in the title. OK. But they are indignant when others don't get it or feel the way they do.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying coming up with an appropriate title is easy. And I know my opinion on the issue is colored by the fact I like irony and subtlety in my titles. Or to evoke a strong visceral response. On the football player image in the Whipping Post, the title could have been "Confused", "Pain", "Beat" or many others, depending upon what the OP wanted to convey. And there still would have been the excellent back and forth commentary.
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    HarlanBearHarlanBear Registered Users Posts: 290 Major grins
    edited August 2, 2007
    So what do we think about the ubiquitous title:

"Untitled # (whatever)"

I think for the most part this is a product of modern and abstract art. I also think it's lazy.

Perhaps this post belongs in another thread, but I thought it an interesting subject for discussion.