>>> the dgrin challenge rules <<<

AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
edited January 24, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
rules for the dgrin photo challenges

the dgrin challenge rules

1. contests will start on mondays at 12:01am, nyc time, and run for two weeks, ending on a monday at 12noon nyc time. the purpose of this is so that you folks will have two weekends in which to create your prize winning photographs.

2. at the end of the contest period, the finalists will be selected by the previous challenge's winner and one of the dgrin mods, who will rotate through to keep things "fresh". each judge will submit a ranked list, which i will tabulate and break any ties if necessary. the finalists will be voted on by the dgrin membership. the voting thread will be started as soon as possible after the close of the contest period, and will be open for voting for approximately 72 hours. any member of dgrin is eligible to vote, whether they entered in the challenge or not. we will choose up to ten finalists.

3. all participants will be encouraged to post suggestions for themes for the contests. we'll do this in a separate thread, and i'll keep a constantly fresh bucket of topics for everyone to vote from every two weeks.

that thread is right here

4. we now have prizes for the winner!

* a $40 credit, either referral credits for your exisiting SmugMug Site, a new one year subscription to SmugMug (Standard Account), or $40 in prints from SmugMug

5. i will be host for the contests. as host, my decision on submissions, voting, and any irregularities, will be final.

6. only one photo may be entered into the dgrin challenge thread. you may post a separate comment / critique thread in the challenge forum for your "working entries," into which you may post your potential entries. the purpose of this thread will be for comments and critique of of your entries, provided by your fellow dgrinners. remember, to get enough meaningful criticism and help, limit your submissions to a reasonable number of shots at a time (suggestion: a couple at a time). you may enter a photo into the challenge thread at any time, and you can change that submission at anytime also. so, if on day one you have an entry that you like enough to submit, do so. if on day 9 you create a stronger entry, by all means change it. the order of entries in the challenge gallery has no bearing on the benevolent host's choosing of the finalists. i know for a fact that the benevolent host spends as much time evaluating the final entry for the challenge as he does on the very first entry. :D

7. winners: in order to receive your prize, you *must* fulfill the obligation of challenge winner, that being co-judging the next challenge. you'll be responsible for picking the finalists. i need a PM, asap after 12noon nyc time on the monday that the challenge closes.

*guest judges* please submit your finalists ranked, in this format:

post# - shooter's name - photo name - rank#

after you've fulfilled this duty, you can email me for your prize.

8. other rules remain the same:

* no comments in the main challenge thread - that thread is for entries only!
* in the spirit of good competition, please do not vote for your own photo
* let your creativity and imagination run wild. any and all photoshop etc :ps is allowed
* photos must be fresh, shot during the contest period. (exif available) - and put the date taken in your entry post.
* photos must be not longer than 800 pixels on their longest side, and not more than 150K in size

* If you use SmugMug - you can link a -L image (Large) and NOT WORRY about how large the file is.
* If you use an attached image (e.g., you don't have SmugMug or your own other web space) you must keep the image to less than 150KB and 800px max on the longest side.

* If you use your own web server, or any other photo hosting service, the file must be 800px max on the longest side and not larger than 150Kb.

* you must give a unique name to your photo, so everyone can vote on it
* you must provide the exif (shot data) with your entry. either manually type it in the post you make, or follow the instructions in this post and have it clickable from your photograph. at a bare minimum, we must know the shot date of your photograph! entries without a date will be disqualified.

*** when we have a no-photoshop challenge, the following applies ***
only basic editing is allowed. this includes minor adjustments in color, contrast, exposure, sharpness, orientation. black and white conversion is allowed (including toning for same). minor minor cropping (less than 10% of image size). that's it - no cloning, filters, special effects, etc.

:deal that's it for the rules! :clap

enjoy (challenge) photography

Comments

• DoctorItDoctorIt Administrators Posts: 11,951 moderator
    edited January 24, 2007
    rules and host update!
    Hey everyone, there's been some updates to the rules, give 'em a re-read.

And most notably, as dgrin and smugmug have grown, and along with them Andy's responsibilies, I've gotten a little promotion. So in all the rules above, "I" now = DoctorIt

wave.gif
    Erik
    moderator of: The Flea Market [ guidelines ]

This discussion has been closed.