Options

Grey... making me blue

di-quesodi-queso Registered Users Posts: 68 Big grins
edited August 1, 2007 in Cameras
I recently purchased a Nikon D70s from a private party, afterwards the camera took a spill and stopped working. I then took a trip down the mountain to Tempe Camera in Mesa, Az. A few days later they explained the damage was beyond their meens, and reccomended sending the camera to Nikon. No Sweat right. I anticipated the call with the estimate for 4 weeks. Then it came. Sorry Sir this is a "Grey Market" item and can not be repaired..... AAARRGH

Does anyone know where I might be able to get this serviced. I had no Idea I was buying anything less than a Genuine Nikon, and am out a good chunk of money if I can't get it up and running again.

I have already replaced it temporarily with a D100, but I sure did like that D70s.

I have already tried contacting the seller to no avail......
Item was paid for with a money order so Pay Pal redemtion is out...

Any help is appreciated.
:cry
New toys: Mamiya 645 Pro Tl with 80mm,55mm,150mm,120,220,and Polaroid backs:wink
Nikon D100 with MB-D100,Nikon D70S,Nikon N90S with grip,Sigma 18-200 DC, Sigma 20mm,Nikon AF 70-300,Nikon 17-55 AF-S, Nikon, 500mm Reflex, and about 15 other old school Nikon lenses inherited from my dad...

Comments

• Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited July 31, 2007
    It *IS* Genuine Nikon, "BUT"...
    di-queso wrote:
    IDoes anyone know where I might be able to get this serviced.
    Yes, you can get it serviced in the countries listed on the warranty card that came with it (which might not have been in English). ....Not that that is of much help. I suspect that Nikon USA may still be willing to service, but on a time & materials basis, not under warranty.
    I had no Idea I was buying anything less than a Genuine Nikon
    But you did buy a Genuine Nikon. It just isn't a USA model, so has no warranty here.

The question is, did the seller claim it was a USA model when you bought it? If not, you're unfortunately on your own.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    edited July 31, 2007
    I'm on my own...
    photobug wrote:
    Yes, you can get it serviced in the countries listed on the warranty card that came with it (which might not have been in English). ....Not that that is of much help. I suspect that Nikon USA may still be willing to service, but on a time & materials basis, not under warranty.

But you did buy a Genuine Nikon. It just isn't a USA model, so has no warranty here.

The question is, did the seller claim it was a USA model when you bought it? If not, you're unfortunately on your own.

No he did not state anything of the sort, I guess I just asumed, and you know what they say about that.

Nikon wouldn't even crack it open...

I'm trying to find any info that came in the box, but I just moved so I am having a bit of trouble with that.

Thanks for the reply {Photobug}
    New toys: Mamiya 645 Pro Tl with 80mm,55mm,150mm,120,220,and Polaroid backs:wink
    Nikon D100 with MB-D100,Nikon D70S,Nikon N90S with grip,Sigma 18-200 DC, Sigma 20mm,Nikon AF 70-300,Nikon 17-55 AF-S, Nikon, 500mm Reflex, and about 15 other old school Nikon lenses inherited from my dad...
  • Options
    dangindangin Registered Users Posts: 458 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    nikon service is notorious for not even giving you the time of day if you send in a grey market anything. there's a few places that repair in house. i think Central Camera in downtown Chicago repairs in house. International Camera (downtown Chicago as well) is an authorized repair facility. i'm sure you can find reviews and contact info for them via a google search.

you may also want to check out this site:

http://www.nikonlinks.com/unklbil/repair_us.htm

good luck! keep us posted.
    - Dan

- my photography: www.dangin.com
    - my blog: www.dangin.com/blog
    - follow me on twitter: @danginphoto
  • Options
    photobugphotobug Registered Users Posts: 633 Major grins
    edited August 1, 2007
    di-queso wrote:
    No he did not state anything of the sort [that it was a USA model], I guess I just asumed, and you know what they say about that
    OUCH! "I feel your pain".

It seems that every one of us gets bitten by the never-occurred-to-me-that-it-might-be-grey-market-(and-I-didn't-ask) :cry snake. The only good news is that it usually only takes "once", and then we never again forget to at least ask that question before laying out the cash.

Nikon wouldn't even crack it open...
    I'm trying to find any info that came in the box, but I just moved so I am having a bit of trouble with that.
    Another possible avenue ... there are reputable camera dealers like B&H and Adorama that sell grey-market goods (and clearly label them as such), and provide their own warranties on them. I assume that they will also repair them after the warranty period expires (naturally, for a fee). So there is a chance that they might be willing to repair yours. They might restrict that service to just their own customers, but heh, it's worth a phone call. Maybe they'd do it for you (at a fee) out of goodwill, to possibly win some business down the road. Again, at least worth a phone call.
    Canon EOS 7D ........ 24-105 f/4L | 50 f/1.4 | 70-200 f/2.8L IS + 1.4x II TC ........ 580EX
    Supported by: Benro C-298 Flexpod tripod, MC96 monopod, Induro PHQ1 head
    Also play with: studio strobes, umbrellas, softboxes, ...and a partridge in a pear tree...

• Options
    edited August 1, 2007
    Very good
    photobug wrote:
    OUCH! "I feel your pain".

It seems that every one of us gets bitten by the never-occurred-to-me-that-it-might-be-grey-market-(and-I-didn't-ask) :cry snake. The only good news is that it usually only takes "once", and then we never again forget to at least ask that question before laying out the cash.

Another possible avenue ... there are reputable camera dealers like B&H and Adorama that sell grey-market goods (and clearly label them as such), and provide their own warranties on them. I assume that they will also repair them after the warranty period expires (naturally, for a fee). So there is a chance that they might be willing to repair yours. They might restrict that service to just their own customers, but heh, it's worth a phone call. Maybe they'd do it for you (at a fee) out of goodwill, to possibly win some business down the road. Again, at least worth a phone call.

I will try both avenues