Options

Filter Dilemma

Grizzle6Grizzle6 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
edited January 13, 2010 in Accessories
Hello All--
I'm in the process of revamping my grad ND filter collection and in-so-doing am purchasing a new filter holder as well. I'll be purchasing Singh Ray Grads (and reverse grads) and am looking for some help on a holder. I shoot a 5D, and need a holder that will allow me to shoot to 17mm with no vignetting. It appears, according to Cokin, that the only holder that will allow that is their X-Pro holder, which holds 170x130 mm filters (huge). I can only imagine how expensive a filter of that size would run with Singh Ray and am wondering if I can get away with their Z-Pro holder. If the X-Pro and super large filters are the only way to go, then I can do it. I don't have a problem paying for quality, but if there's any other way to do it for a bit less, that would be preferred. Does anyone have any experience with filter holders at wide angles? Which work best? Any other filter insight/suggestions, etc. are more than welcome. Thanks for any help you can provide.
It's all ball bearings these days...

www.adambarkerphotography.com

Comments

• Options
    PindyPindy Registered Users Posts: 1,089 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    The Lee filter holder will allow for this. no vignetting at 10mm or possibly greater. Works great with a 10-22mm UWA Canon lens. You need to specify the "Wide-Angle" version of the lens ring, though.
  • Options
    Grizzle6Grizzle6 Registered Users Posts: 168 Major grins
    edited July 18, 2007
    Pindy wrote:
    The Lee filter holder will allow for this. no vignetting at 10mm or possibly greater. Works great with a 10-22mm UWA Canon lens. You need to specify the "Wide-Angle" version of the lens ring, though.

Will that Lee holder work with the 84x120 Singh Ray filters? For some reason, I thought I checked out that option just a couple weeks ago at B&H and it didn't look like it would work. It appeared that the Lee holder was built for wider (square) filters...
    It's all ball bearings these days...

www.adambarkerphotography.com
  • Options
    astockwellastockwell Registered Users Posts: 279 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    I will tell you that the Cokin P-series three slot holder will vignette on a 16-50 on the wide end. I shot on P's for a while, and it would do it. The cokin wide angle holder wouldn't on the 16-50, but I am sure that on a 10 it probably would. I will say this, that the cokin p-series wide holder was almost useless for what I wanted to use it for, as I need more than one or two slots in most cases. So I just said screw it, and upgraded to Z's. The Cokin Z-Holder is cheap enough at about $60, well made, and the 4X4 and 4X5's from any company fit in it. I won't use Cokin brand filters, as much as they say they are optically pure, they aren't. Their ND's color cast, and they won't admit it. I have spoken with Omega Satter a few times, and they are standing by their product. So whatever. Hi-Tech FTW.

-Andy