Options

20D issues with 28-135mm IS lens?

NewCreation517NewCreation517 Registered Users Posts: 78 Big grins
edited July 29, 2007 in Cameras
Hey all,

So I just bought a Canon 28-135mm with IS, and have been noticing that the pictures I take seem WAY underexposed when shooting on the default mode or on portrait mode.

Example:

173023076-M.jpg

Granted it's not a very good photo anyhow, but it serves as a perfect example of how LOTS of my photos are turning out. This was on normal program mode with a Speedlite 430EX and the 28-135mm lens with IS on. Something just doesn't seem right about that ...
Not there yet, but I've passed the start ...

Comments

• Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    White cloths in general tend to make underexposed images. It tricks ETTL into thinking its brighter than it really is. Shoot RAW and you can easily bring that one back...
  • Options
    digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    I guess the obvious question would be, are you getting a different result with a different lens in the same lighting condition? Or are all your underexposed photos all flash based? We can't see your EXIF info on your photo, so I can't tell what ISO was used (probably low), and the shutter speed/f-stop combination/

Try taking the same picture in Av mode with your lens wide open and a higher ISO to see if you get a different (and hopefully better) result. In the default mode, the underexposure is fairly normal. The camera will probably be at 1/60 sec or higher (to help eliminate any camera shake) and a modest f-stop to give better depth of field.

I think all your woes are the settings on the camera and not the lens. If you post some more examples with EXIF it will be easier to tell.
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,698 moderator
    edited July 15, 2007
    Turn off Program Mode, leave the flash in ETTL, and put the camera in Manual Mode with a shutter speed less than 1/250th, and an aperture around f5.6 or f8 for ISO 200 and try again.

Program mode is not the best mode for flash on the 20D. It assumes that you want a shutter speed greater than 1/60th to allow hand holding the camera. If the background is already pretty dark, it will allow it to be seriously underexposed.

Av mode will allow you to capture the foreground subject and balance the lighting with the background - BE aware, that it does this by allowing LONG shutter speeds - you MAY need to have your camera on a tripod - verify the shutter speed before shooting with flash in Av mode.

The best source of info re: the EOS system flash is here[/img]

Other links here on dgrin about fill flash...

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=50306&highlight=pathfinder+fill+flash

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=32198&highlight=pathfinder+fill+flash
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    You have a 20D and are still messing around to the left of the geen box? headscratch.gif Stay on the right side of it for best results. deal.gif Once the learning curve is climbed, those problems largely disappear.
  • Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited July 20, 2007
    You have a 20D and are still messing around to the left of the geen box? headscratch.gif Stay on the right side of it for best results. deal.gif Once the learning curve is climbed, those problems largely disappear.

nod.gifnodnod.gif

Seriously, I still can't understand why Canon even puts these modes on the camera. You are using the camera as a point and shoot. A very expensive point and shoot.
  • Options
    sirsloopsirsloop Registered Users Posts: 866 Major grins
    edited July 21, 2007
    Funny thing is I dont think any of my SLR's have EVER been on those modes! HA! rolleyes1.gif
  • Options
    claudermilkclaudermilk Registered Users Posts: 2,756 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    I know mine has not. :D
  • Options
    jdryan3jdryan3 Registered Users Posts: 1,353 Major grins
    edited July 23, 2007
    sirsloop wrote:
    Funny thing is I dont think any of my SLR's have EVER been on those modes! HA! rolleyes1.gif

My 300D had it and I used it to get the hang of the settings. What's funny is I had my 5D about 2 weeks before I realized it didn't even have green settings lol3.giflol3.gif
    "Don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to. Oh well."
    -Fleetwood Mac
  • Options
    Red BullRed Bull Registered Users Posts: 719 Major grins
    edited July 29, 2007
    As previously said, don't use any of the settings to the left of the green box. Don't waste your money by using those automatic modes, use it to its full potential!
    -Steven

http://redbull.smugmug.com

"Money can't buy happiness...But it can buy expensive posessions that make other people envious, and that feels just as good.":D

Canon 20D, Canon 50 1.8 II, Canon 70-200 f/4L, Canon 17-40 f/4 L, Canon 100mm 2.8 Macro, Canon 430ex.