• Shots
  • Photo Craft
  • Video
  • Wide Angle
  • Support
  • New Stuff
  • More
Wide Angle The Big Picture Andy/Baldy - feed me

Need some help with your New SmugMug Site?

Dgrin Challenges

Our Challenges moderator has lined up an new set of challenges for you. The Weekly Word Challenge. Get all the details and participate in the conversation Weekly Word Challenge.

Past DSS Challenge Winners, DSS Challenge Rules, and other important DSS Challenge information is here.

Looking for a little challenge? The Dgrin Mini-Challenges are a great way to challenge yourself. Take a moment to look through past winners and find the current Mini Challenge here.

From Around the Net

Enjoy a few of our favorite articles from around the 'net. If you have something you think we should see, post it here and we'll have a look.

Journeys

Landscapes

Sports

Page 1  of  116
Old Jul-11-2007, 10:47 AM
DJ-S1 is offline DJ-S1 OP
Life is good!
Andy/Baldy - feed me
I'm ready for a change - would either of you guys care to explain your diet/nutrition philosophy and point me in the right direction? I need to drop 20 (30 would be better) and get healthier in general.

I'd appreciate it -

----

Mod edit: Link to the gallery of recipes is here, for easy findability! Additionally, here is the TasteBook of submitted recipes for those who wish to purchase a hard copy for the shelves. A work in progress!
Old Jul-11-2007, 11:03 AM
patch29 is offline patch29
C|34N3R
I would also be curious to hear what you are currently eating regularly and what you have given up.
Old Jul-11-2007, 11:08 AM
dragon300zx is offline dragon300zx
What God Complex?
Patch andy gave up meat.

He's on the china study.

http://www.thechinastudy.com/about.html
Old Jul-11-2007, 11:19 AM
stirfry is offline stirfry
I'm here for the articles
wow - one more reason to love smugmug ... veg*ns!

I've never heard of the China Study, but I'm glad it made such an impact on those who have read it. 8 years of a "mixed" marriage and my husband has gone from wanting meat at every meal, to consuming meat only outside of our home. I haven't weaned him from cheese and milk yet, but baby steps his health continues to improve, beyond just the physical.

Wishing you the best and much success on your healthful endeavor, whichever road you take to get there.

Old Jul-11-2007, 11:31 AM
Andy is offline Andy
Bicameral
Lots to read, I recommend

The China Study and
Eat to Live

Feel free to drop us a note and we'd love to send you a copy :)

Now, as to practical use:

I gave up eating animal products (save for a little half & half in my coffee, and I'm working on giving that up ) 6 months ago. That means, I don't eat: Cheese, Milk, Ice Cream, Butter, Poultry, Fish, Pork, Beef, Venison, Lizard, Snake or anything that is an animal or was an animal.

I do eat: Whole Grains, Fruits, Nuts, Berries, Beans, and Fresh Vegetables. So, here's what I eat:

Breakfasts: Granola with Fruit. Whole wheat toast with 100% real fruit jam. Raw fruits (grapefruit, oranges, berries, bananas, papayas, mangoes, melons, apples). Whole wheat pancakes with real maple syrup. Oatmeal with nuts and dried fruits.

Lunches: Sandwiches? No problem. Whole Wheat pita is my staple, I can jam lots in there I stuff 'em with sprouts, lettuce, carrots, etc. In my fridge are many kinds of hummus - love the stuff. Also edamame salads. Bean salads. Black bean dip. I love veggie burritos (black beans, rice, salsa, onions, olives, lettuce, mmmmm). Lunch can also just be a huge salad, I might have a whole head of romaine lettuce with accompanying veggies. Peanut butter and jelly on whole wheat in a pinch works.

Dinners: Ethnic food, ftw! Love Indian - vegetable pekora, samosas, biryani, vindaloo. Mexican (see lunch). Whole grain rices and wraps. Chile! We make 4 or 5 different kinds of vegetarian Chile. One pot bean dishes that are amazing. Italian! Whole grain pastas, with garlic, basil, olive oil. Mmmm. Of course, a huge salad, too. Now that it's summer, been eating a plate of fresh tomatoes, basil, cucumbers with Balsamic vinegar and some kosher salt (a pinch). Fresh corn on the cob. Grilling! Oh we grill corn, zucchini, carrots, portobello mushrooms, you name it.

Snacks: raisins; sesame sticks; raw veggies; dried fruits; whole grain chips w/ homemade salsa.

I eat all day long and I'm never hungry. I have lost 50lbs since January 1st 2007. I feel better than I have in 20 years.

I don't miss much of anything, though I expect I'll add cheese back in my diet eventually (in moderation) because it just goes so well with so many things. We'll see.

I totally stay away from all fast foods, and anything processed. No refined sugars or staches. No white bread, white rice, white flour, no processed carbohydrates.

Does this help?
Old Jul-11-2007, 11:40 AM
Life is good!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy
Does this help?
Yup, that's exactly what I needed. I couldn't remember the China Study so my searches didn't get any hits except for this:

I'm curious about Baldy, I know he eats lots of fish. Does he do dairy as well, or is it pretty much what you do plus fish?

Thanks a bunch -
Old Jul-11-2007, 11:43 AM
DavidTO is offline DavidTO
Mod Emeritus
Quote:
I recommend
Beans, many kinds of hummus - love the stuff. Bean salads. Black bean dip. I love veggie burritos (black beans, rice, salsa, onions, olives, lettuce, mmmmm). Chile! We make 4 or 5 different kinds of vegetarian Chile. One pot bean dishes that are amazing.

Old Jul-11-2007, 11:44 AM
C|34N3R
Quote:
Lots to read, I recommend

The China Study and
Eat to Live

That means, I don't eat: Cheese, Milk, Ice Cream, Butter, Poultry, Fish, Pork, Beef, Venison, Lizard, Snake or anything that is an animal or was an animal.

Does this help?

Wow. I knew it was based on The China Study, which I have picked up from the library and need to read.

I was curious how far the diet goes and it sounds like 100% Vegan, not sure I can give up all of that.

Impressive results though.

How do you manage to eat healthy and vegan while traveling?
Old Jul-11-2007, 11:47 AM
dragon300zx is offline dragon300zx
What God Complex?
Quote:
Originally Posted by patch29
I was curious how far the diet goes and it sounds like 100% Vegan, not sure I can give up all of that.

Both things I'm courious about as well. As much as it sounds good and something I'd be interested in trying, I just can't see myself not eating fish or chicken a few times a week. And seeing as I'm busy most of the time, the eating healthy while traveling is of big interest.
Old Jul-11-2007, 11:59 AM
Andy is offline Andy
Bicameral
Quote:
Most towns/cities have a health foods store or Whole Foods. So, I stop there for portable foods :)

Going out? Not a problem. Salads are everywhere. Then, I can also do fine at most any ethnic restaurant: Mexican, Indian, Italian, Mediterranean, etc.

It's not hard at all, when you focus on it, and plan for it.
Old Jul-11-2007, 12:01 PM
gus is offline gus
Major grins
Quote:
Indian,
Hmmmm...butter chicken
Old Jul-11-2007, 12:34 PM
Life is good!
Quote:
...not sure I can give up all of that.
I'm with you, but I think if I keep fish and a wee bit of dairy... I'm gonna give it a shot.
Old Jul-11-2007, 12:46 PM
stirfry is offline stirfry
I'm here for the articles
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon300zx
And seeing as I'm busy most of the time, the eating healthy while traveling is of big interest.
I do a lot of travelling. It can initially be trying to work ANY new diet into a busy schedule, but before long you'll find a system that works for you .. whether it's locating a HFS in your host city, or just planning ahead and packing stuff to bring with you. Just expect a transition period, and be okay easing into a new way of doing things .

I think for most people, it's an easier pill to swallow if you make a gradual switch from an omnivorous diet to an herbivorous diet. It gives you time to wean off of a staple favorite rather than quitting cold (soy analog )turkey, while also providing ample but not overwhelming opportunity to experiment with new and different foods. Think of it not as a diet, but a lifestyle change ~ it's worth doing slow and steady.

Last edited by stirfry; Aug-30-2007 at 08:49 AM.
Old Jul-11-2007, 02:12 PM
C|34N3R
Andy is your family on your diet?
Old Jul-11-2007, 02:13 PM
Andy is offline Andy
Bicameral
Quote:
Andy is your family on your diet?
Wife yes, though she didn't need to lose an ounce.

Trevor, not so much, though we try
Old Jul-11-2007, 02:35 PM
Skippy is offline Skippy
Forensic Wannabe
Talking
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ-S1
I'm ready for a change - would either of you guys care to explain your diet/nutrition philosophy and point me in the right direction? I need to drop 20 (30 would be better) and get healthier in general.

I'd appreciate it -
You should always consult a Dr before you go on "diets"
Also you cannot afford to be a fussy eater if you cut Meat out of your diet, you must suppliment it, and this is were a lot of vegetarians go wrong.

Man if you could see the amount of slips that come through our Pathology Lab that say "vegetarian" you'd be shocked.

If your going to go Vegetarian you have to do it properly.

Nothing wrong with being a Vegetarian if you do it properly
........ Skippy

ALBUM http://ozzieskip.smugmug.com/

:skippy Everyone has the right to be stupid, but some people just abuse the privilege :dgrin
Old Jul-11-2007, 03:50 PM
Angelo is offline Angelo
Turning frowns upsidedown
Congratulations Andy! Truly inspiring.
Old Jul-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Andy is offline Andy
Bicameral
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelo
Congratulations Andy! Truly inspiring.

I had help - Baldy is sorta influential, yknow?

DJ - and anyone "on the fence" - it's truly a life-changing thing. Holler anytime if you have questions!
Old Jul-11-2007, 04:24 PM
dlscott56 is offline dlscott56
Major grins
Are you talking about Eat To Live by Joel Fuhrman?

I'll tell ya, I've lost and gained weight several times and right now am on a gain. The weights starting to bug me a lot! I've been through quite a few tests lately because I haven't felt well and everything seems fine heart and health wise.

Need a change myself!

My Photos

My Facebook

Old Jul-11-2007, 04:28 PM
Andy is offline Andy
Bicameral
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlscott56
Are you talking about Eat To Live by Joel Fuhrman?

I'll tell ya, I've lost and gained weight several times and right now am on a gain. The weights starting to bug me a lot! I've been through quite a few tests lately because I haven't felt well and everything seems fine heart and health wise.

Need a change myself!
http://www.drfuhrman.com/

To me, It just makes sense. It's not a diet. Not like Atkins, South Beach, or Zone. There's no company behind this. And it's not a "craze" or a "fad."
Page 1  of  116
Tell The World!