Options

Captions become keywords. WHY ?

voicelitvoicelit Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
edited July 15, 2007 in SmugMug Support
Why, when I upload photos now , do my captions on the photos become keywords instead ? I then have to go in manually and copy and paste each one into the caption field.

Marty ( voicelit ) ( photofur on SmugMug )

Comments

• Options
    rainforest1155rainforest1155 Registered Users Posts: 4,566 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    voicelit wrote:
    Why, when I upload photos now , do my captions on the photos become keywords instead ? I then have to go in manually and copy and paste each one into the caption field.

Hi Marty,

I'm sorry that your post got overlooked. Do you mean that your filenames are converted to keywords, but not put into your captions? Our systems looks at the filenames of the photos you upload, and automatically puts every word with more than 3 characters it finds into the keywords. This helps many people keywording their photos. Usually filenames are not that extensive and don't contain the whole captions, that's why we don't import them into captions as well.

Here's an example of what we do: This photo (http://www.smugmug.com/gallery/3148569/3/172836672#172836672) has "SARAH envy of unicorns.jpg" as its filename. Our system now takes the words 'sarah', 'envy', 'unicorns' and adds them to the keywords - 'of' is left out since it's only 2 characters.

If you want to add captions to a photo before uploading it to SmugMug, we do support the international IPTC standard. Just have a look into your favorite photo software and see if it supports writing IPTC captions. These we import automatically as your SmugMug caption during the upload. For example the free Irfanview on Windows (www.irfanview.com) supports writing IPTC captions into photos. We do support IPTC keywords as well - with them you could also choose the keywords you would like to an image before uploading it. Note that our system still will look for additional keywords in your filename and that we've currently limited the keywords on a photo to 20.

Have a great Sunday,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    carolinecaroline Registered Users Posts: 1,302 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    Note that our system still will look for additional keywords in your filename and that we've currently limited the keywords on a photo to 20.

Hi Sebastian, does this mean the 15 word limit has changed, or is this another aspect of keywording ?

Caroline
    Mendip Blog - Blog from The Fog, life on the Mendips
    www.carolineshipsey.co.uk - Follow me on G+

[/URL]
  • Options
    voicelitvoicelit Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited July 15, 2007
    May be getting other solution
    Thanks, Sebastian.
    I may be zeroing in on another solution :
    under " Look & Feel , " ,"file names", " Show file names instead of nothing at all ".... I select " yes".
    Now what I had originally had named each photo in my image viewer ( Faststone ) is back as a caption - at least in that gallery.
    Any preference somewhere I can change ( control panel ? ) to effect this across the my site for all uploads / new galleries ?

• Options
    edited July 15, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    Hi Sebastian, does this mean the 15 word limit has changed, or is this another aspect of keywording ?
    No, sorry - that was a mix-up on my part. The limit is still 15.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2007
    caroline wrote:
    No, sorry - that was a mix-up on my part. The limit is still 15.

Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero
  • Options
    edited July 15, 2007
    voicelit wrote:
    Thanks, Sebastian.
    I may be zeroing in on another solution :
    under " Look & Feel , " ,"file names", " Show file names instead of nothing at all ".... I select " yes".
    Now what I had originally had named each photo in my image viewer ( Faststone ) is back as a caption - at least in that gallery.
    Any preference somewhere I can change ( control panel ? ) to effect this across the my site for all uploads / new galleries ?
    You could give SmugBrowser a try if you're running Firefox - it has functionality to change settings of galleries in bulk. Get it here: http://dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=47484
    For Firefox go here:http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/

Hope this helps,
    Sebastian
    Sebastian
    SmugMug Support Hero