Options

Keywords and size of photos

tommykjensentommykjensen Registered Users Posts: 11 Big grins
edited July 1, 2007 in SmugMug Support
I am new user, I created my trial account yesterday and have created a sample gallery. But I have a few issues with it.

http://tommykjensen.smugmug.com/gallery/3066523

1. Keywords. The jpegs I uploaded contains keywords and they are imported but not all of them are displayed. If you look at the gallery linked above you will see all keywords except one "2007". If I click on edit keywords I can see it is there. But why is it not displayed? This is the keywords as they appear in the edit box: 2007; Carnival; Copenhagen; Events; People;

2. Size of photos. I have uploaded 6 photos. 3 in landscape mode and 3 in portrait mode. The originals are all 1000 pixels on the longest side. I have disabled viewing of the original but left large on. When viewing the landscape photos and choose large the 800 pixel version is displayed fine. But when viewing the portrait photos and choosing the large version it is the 600 pixel version that is displayed.

Are there any settings am need to change to get these 2 issues solved?
Best Regards Tommy

Comments

• Options
    jim_hjim_h Registered Users Posts: 38 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    600 px vertical limit
    I think I can save you some time on #2 as I just asked essentially the same question in another thread:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=64953
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2007
    jim_h wrote:
    I think I can save you some time on #2 as I just asked essentially the same question in another thread:

http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=64953

Thanks. Hmm thats a bit of let down.
    Best Regards Tommy
  • Options
    iambackiamback Registered Users Posts: 288 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2007
    I am new user, I created my trial account yesterday and have created a sample gallery. But I have a few issues with it.

http://tommykjensen.smugmug.com/gallery/3066523

1. Keywords. The jpegs I uploaded contains keywords and they are imported but not all of them are displayed. If you look at the gallery linked above you will see all keywords except one "2007". If I click on edit keywords I can see it is there. But why is it not displayed? This is the keywords as they appear in the edit box: 2007; Carnival; Copenhagen; Events; People;
    Keywords consisting entirely of digits aren't displayed. Try wrapping it in (double) quotes.
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2007
    Thanks. Hmm thats a bit of let down.

I used to have 800px portrait images. Apparently at some point SmugMug decided to set vertical a maximum of 600px and begin applying that to new images. Meanwhile, we all got bigger monitors. I just don't get it.

They keep saying that bigger images are on the way...
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2007
    jim_h wrote:
    Meanwhile, we all got bigger monitors. I just don't get it.
    Photographers, quite likely. But their potential customers? Not everyone buys a new monitor just because a bigger one is available. What's in the shops is not the same as what's on people's desks.

Besides, I have a pretty big monitor, but my browser viewport is rarely 800px high.
    Marjolein Katsma
    Look through my eyes on Cultural Surfaces! - customizing... currently in a state between limbo and chaos
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2007
    iamback wrote:
    Photographers, quite likely. But their potential customers? Not everyone buys a new monitor just because a bigger one is available. What's in the shops is not the same as what's on people's desks.

Besides, I have a pretty big monitor, but my browser viewport is rarely 800px high.

For some reason I'd come to think of it as "my" gallery which I could configure to best suit the people who I wanted to look at my images.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2007
    iamback wrote:
    Keywords consisting entirely of digits aren't displayed. Try wrapping it in (double) quotes.

Thats not a solution. I add the keyword in PSCS 3 Bridge so I really have no way of adding double quotes. And I am not going to edit the keywords once imported to the gallery.

But why hide digits ? I don't get that. If a keyword has been imported (or manually added) then show it. Isn't that the whole point of the keywords?

The number I have in the keywords is the year an event took place. So it would be possible to search for photos from a specific year with keywords like "carnival 2007" or "carnival 2005".
    Best Regards Tommy
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2007
    iamback wrote:

Thats true but why not let the owner of the gallery decide if the protrait photos should be 600 or 800 pixels high? I want a consistant look for my photos. Which means the longest side on each layout should be the same.
    Best Regards Tommy
  • Options
    richWrichW Registered Users Posts: 941 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    Thats not a solution. I add the keyword in PSCS 3 Bridge so I really have no way of adding double quotes. And I am not going to edit the keywords once imported to the gallery.
    I found Adobe Bridge stripped out the quotes and replaced them with semicolons. I put together a test gallery showing 4 different methods I used to add keywords. The caption lists the keywords I tried to add, the results are below the caption in the keyword section. http://lmsportspix.smugmug.com/gallery/2630634

I found using IrfranView to be the easiest. Pat Kane put together a nice list on the WiKi: http://smugmug.jot.com/WikiHome/Pros/AddingKeywordsToMetadata
    I know it's one more step in post processing, but it beats doing manual edits.
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2007
    So even a keyword like "2007 BlueSquares" is not displayed.

Adding another application is not a solution. I want to add the keywords with bridge because that is the first application I process the photos with. Adding another is simply not an option because then I know I simply won't add keywords.
    Best Regards Tommy
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2007
    Thats true but why not let the owner of the gallery decide if the protrait photos should be 600 or 800 pixels high? I want a consistant look for my photos. Which means the longest side on each layout should be the same.
    Oh, I agree - I'd rather have a consistent size as well!

My comment was only to the effect that what's on people's desks is not what you see in the shops now. And unless you haev nothing but private or password-controlled galleries, you have no control over who looks at them, with what size monitors.
    Marjolein Katsma
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2007

But why hide digits ? I don't get that.
    I have no idea why digits are hidden, and I don't like it either. I merely told you how to make them appear.
    Marjolein Katsma
  • Options
    AllenAllen Registered Users Posts: 10,012 Major grins
    edited June 28, 2007
    iamback wrote:
    I have no idea why digits are hidden, and I don't like it either. I merely told you how to make them appear.
    Probably because on upload they parce the file name and you'd get many
    many image numbers in the captions.
    i.e. IMG_08575.jpg. >> 08575

Wish there was a check box for turning off (auto fill caption) on upload.
    Al - Just a volunteer here having fun
    My Website index | My Blog
  • Options
    edited June 28, 2007
    Allen wrote:
    Probably because on upload they parce the file name and you'd get many
    many image numbers in the captions.
    i.e. IMG_08575.jpg. >> 08575

Wish there was a check box for turning off (auto fill caption) on upload.
    Filtering numbers from a parsed file name is still a different thing than filtering numbers from embedded keywords. If that is really the cause (I wouldn't call it a reason) it sounds like a logical error.
    Marjolein Katsma
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited July 1, 2007
    jim_h wrote:
    Meanwhile, we all got bigger monitors.

"we all"

We, the photographer, geeks etc. Yeah. We got huge-normous monitors.

Most of your visitors are still at 1024x768.
  • Options
    edited July 1, 2007
    Andy wrote:
    "we all"

We, the photographer, geeks etc. Yeah. We got huge-normous monitors.

Most of your visitors are still at 1024x768.

Can you tell me why numbers in keywords that are imbedded in the files are not displayed?

I have tried with keyword 2007 with no quotes and it won't display. I have tried with Copenhagen 2007 with no quotes and 2007 is stripped.
    Best Regards Tommy