Options

The Making of The Exuberance of Flight...

PaulThomasMcKeePaulThomasMcKee Registered Users Posts: 429 Major grins
edited June 25, 2007 in The Dgrin Challenges
I just wanted to say thanks to every one who voted and left comments on my previous post! I decided to enter the pic with out the Photoshop blur of the background. It looked cool in its own way, but a little too much like a Japanese cartoon superhero. The pic I entered is unaltered except for a little blur to his foot and hair (thanks for the suggestion Tentacion) and desaturate the reds a bit (thanks to Strikeslip).

For those who were asking about how I got the picture:

I was using a D200 with a 18-200mm VR lens taped to stay open at 18mm.
I preset the interval timer to fire 3 bursts of 9 frames at 5fps (or whatever the fastest speed is). I shot in jpeg fine to maximize the number of shots before it bogged down. Then I strapped it to my chest just below my chin. I had to memorize the order of the menu buttons to press because once the camera was on my chest I couldn't see the screen. Then I prefocused on my nephew at arms length away with the autofocus. Once set, I locked the focus by flipping the lens switch to manual. Then I pressed the button sequence to start the interval timer and started swinging my nephew.

We both had a BLAST doing it. But, we both got pretty dizzy and could hardly stand up after a bit. My nephew even started to feel queezy after the third time. But he perked right up again when I offered to treat him to an ice cream cone.

165475068-S.jpg

Here he's just being mellowdramatic.
165474780-M-1.jpg

Even with the camera firing away at such great speed, I only ended up with a couple of really usable photos (out of about 100). Because the sun was almost setting, it cast strong shadows. As a result, the light was only good through about 30 degrees of arc on both sides of swing of the circle. Otherwise the shadows messed up the shot.

Here's one that shows both of our shadows...proof that I didn't hold him in a static state hanging down with his feet touching the ground :rofl . If I ever do this again I might lower the camera angle to accentuate the impression of how high his feet are above the ground and to capture more of the horizon.
165536152-S.jpg

If it wasn't shadows that spoiled the shot, then it was him making funny faces like this. Or, people who wanted to watch standing within the frame.:huh
165535214-S.jpg

Thanks again to all who responded to my previous post!
paul

Comments

• Options
    pemmettpemmett Registered Users Posts: 507 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2007
    Thanks Paul, now I can finally sleep at nightrolleyes1.gif I spent a lot of time trying to figure it out and each time fell back into the "it must be photoshopped" trap. Sometimes I forget how much fun can be had whilst taking photos - thanks for the reminder :D
    "Take a moment to capture a memory that will last forever"
    My images | My blog | My free course
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2007
    Thanks for the explanation Paul! I like the shot you entered even better. And I can see his foot in the air! Cute story...love the shots of your nephew lying on the ground. Oh, it make my head spin too. eek7.gif The 3rd shot you posted is really great with the shadow (which clearly shows him in the air), it's too bad the shadow fell across his face.
  • Options
    LiquidAirLiquidAir Registered Users Posts: 1,751 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2007
    Sorry for accusing you for faking it. You definitely get style points for your technique. The version you have entered now shows perspective in the grass texture which I like much better than your orginal post. I thought I briefly saw a version of your entry with just a hint of horizion which I liked even better. While we often seem to shoot for a degree of minimalism in this contest, this shot is one case where context is everything IMO.

Even after reading the description of how you did it, I am still inclined to try a two shot composite at some point. The first shot taken straight down of my son hanging and the second shot just spinning the camera for a background.
  • Options
    NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2007
    Paul,
    Great writeup, cool technique! thumb.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2007
    Attention to detail, inventiveness, stick-to-it-tiveness, knowledge of camera, lightly applied PS skills, and a willing partner equal the makings of an outstanding photograph!! bowdown.gifbowbowdown.gifThanks for sharing "The Making Of" with us!

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    TentacionTentacion Registered Users Posts: 940 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2007
    Fabulous Writeup...it's shake and bake...and I Helpppp'd...Laughing.gif

Very Cool, and I believe the little one deserved far more than 1 ice cream cone...Laughing.gifLaughing.gifLaughing.gifLaughing.gif

Good Luck with your entry!!
    Donna
    You're only as good as your next photo....
    One day, I started writing, not knowing that I had chained myself for life to a noble but merciless master. When God hands you a gift, he also hands you a whip; and the whip is intended solely for self-flagellation...I'm here alone in my dark madness, all by myself with my deck of cards --- and, of course, the whip God gave me." Truman Capote
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2007
    horizon
    LiquidAir wrote:
    I thought I briefly saw a version of your entry with just a hint of horizion which I liked even better. While we often seem to shoot for a degree of minimalism in this contest, this shot is one case where context is everything IMO.

Yes, I did briefly enter this crop:
    165673051-S.jpg

I'm very conflicted as to the best crop for this shot...I do like the horizon but was concerned that it didn't add enough to the context to make up for the distraction from my nephew's face.
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited June 23, 2007
    Yes, I did briefly enter this crop:

I'm very conflicted as to the best crop for this shot...I do like the horizon but was concerned that it didn't add enough to the context to make up for the distraction from my nephew's face.
    I think you chose well.. Leave the no horizon one entered.
    I personally do not need to see it to understand what is happening.

Thanks for the "How to" on this VERY COOL! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited June 23, 2007
    sherstone wrote:
    I think you chose well.. Leave the no horizon one entered.
    I personally do not need to see it to understand what is happening.

Thanks for the "How to" on this VERY COOL! thumb.gif

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I had decided to leave the no-horizon one entered. The more horizontal crop of the no-horizon one adds to the feeling of motion. And I think anyone who has ever played "airplane", in either the role of swinger or swingee, will pretty instantly realize what's going on.

paul
  • Options
    gfxartistgfxartist Registered Users Posts: 135 Major grins
    edited June 25, 2007
    Great how-to write-up. I was wondering how that shot was taken. Love it, by the way! clap.gif
    ~Laurie~

Canon: 5d Mk III, 5d Mk II, 50d, 50/1.2, 85/1.2, 35/1.4, 70-200/2.8 II, 17-40/4, 24-70/2.8, 100 2.8 macro
    Laurie Bracewell Photography